Ford F-150 Lightning EV Truck Production Paused Over Battery Issue

Last year a friend of mine bought a new Ranger, and could not get out of the dealership parking lot. The matter was eventually resolved.

Electric drills, blowers and mowers are one thing, but 4 wheel vehicles is another. No way I would buy an EV.
Same here my man.... I play golf with a couple of doctors and they both own Tesla's... they are fun toys not transportation... they both admit that.... and when they need a truck they call me... lol

I've given up on them as well. Unless you are a contractor using these tools every day constantly charging the batteries, they are a waste of time. Every one I ever bought was either discharged when I picked it up needing it or the battery went bad and I couldn't use it at all. Too easy to just run a power cord to the nearest outlet or extension.

Yes my blower is still with power cord. What I like about the battery powered tools is that I don't have to keep gasoline stored at the house, smelly gasoline.

Dude WTF are you smoking? Like really? The F150 gas truck outdoes the electric in every way, range, towing range, speed to get refueled, performance in cold conditions, etc. The only thing the electric truck has is acceleration. So you'll be the first to the dealership to return it for a refund.

And there are many F150s that are 10 years old still running around just fine. WTF you gonna do when your battery goes to shit in 10 years and the replacement cost is more than the value of the truck?
The EXPERTS who have evaluated the F-150 "Lighting" ALL conclude that it is superior. With the Frunk, it has much better cargo capacity, there's the acceleration, handling, and range. And not to ignore the Elephant in the Room, the Lightning will save you at least 2/3 of your annual fuel cost, because 95% of your "fill-ups" will be in your garage.

Repairs will be dramatically fewer with no radiator, exhaust system, fuel injection, etc. By the time these battery packs are shot, there will be commercial businesses out there like Tire America that will either replace battery packs intact, or replace individual dead cells, at a reasonable cost. As for towing and cold weather, those are things that purchasers will assess BEFORE they buy the fucking things. Most non-commercial users who need towing capacity are talking about two significant tows per year, one to get the boat to the water for Summer, and one to bring it home. If there are some minor inconveniences associated with those two days a year, they will deal with them, in exchange for all the wonderful benefits of the EV experience.

The EXPERTS who have evaluated the F-150 "Lighting" ALL conclude that it is superior. With the Frunk, it has much better cargo capacity, there's the acceleration, handling, and range. And not to ignore the Elephant in the Room, the Lightning will save you at least 2/3 of your annual fuel cost, because 95% of your "fill-ups" will be in your garage.

Repairs will be dramatically fewer with no radiator, exhaust system, fuel injection, etc. By the time these battery packs are shot, there will be commercial businesses out there like Tire America that will either replace battery packs intact, or replace individual dead cells, at a reasonable cost. As for towing and cold weather, those are things that purchasers will assess BEFORE they buy the fucking things. Most non-commercial users who need towing capacity are talking about two significant tows per year, one to get the boat to the water for Summer, and one to bring it home. If there are some minor inconveniences associated with those two days a year, they will deal with them, in exchange for all the wonderful benefits of the EV experience.

So the electricity in your garage is free? I think not.

Show me links or admit you're making all that bullshit up. The Chevy volt has been out a long time and nobody is "replacing battery packs intact or replacing individual dead cells" in those. Comments?

I would say motortrend knows WTF they're talking about, right?

Find a link to a credible source saying the F150 lightening has superior range to the ICE F150. I won't hold my breath. And with the cost of electricity, charging an electric vehicle was MORE expensive in 2022 than fueling it with gas.

Not to mention you can get a ICE car for 15000 dollars. The cheapest electric is almost 40 grand. It would take A LOT OF GAS to make up the difference of almost 25000 dollars. And in 10 years when the battery goes to shit in the electric, the 15000 dollar car will still be putt putting along.

What cha gonna do when your e 150 is out of juice 50 miles into your trip and you need 8 hours to recharge? The guy in the ICE f150 will wave as he goes by and will be 350 miles down the road before he needs to stop for gas. And then be gone in 10 minutes WITH a burger and coke.

Last edited:
The EXPERTS
Who qualifies as an "expert" on EVs, someone hired by the EV industry to promote them?

With the Frunk, it has much better cargo capacity,
More capacity than a full 8-foot bed? What, is the EV truck longer?

there's the acceleration,
My V-8 truck accelerates fine and I've had it over 100 mph. Just how much acceleration do you need and who are you racing? I never heard a single person rate acceleration as an important quality to have in a PU. But the good news is that "jumping on the gas" in your EV will suck your battery down to 0 in no time flat! :auiqs.jpg:

handling,
Handling? Has handling ever been a problem? And understand that EV trucks have thousands of pounds more weight to "handle" even before you load one up.

and range.
Range? Did you say range? You think an EV truck is going to give you better range???

And not to ignore the Elephant in the Room, the Lightning will save you at least 2/3 of your annual fuel cost, because 95% of your "fill-ups" will be in your garage.
Huh? You really believe that your operating costs for an EV will be cut to a THIRD that of a regular PU? In any account, I hope you get that, this will help offset the massive purchase price, the inconvenience, and the huge bill you'll be getting when you need your next battery.

Repairs will be dramatically fewer with no radiator, exhaust system, fuel injection, etc.
I hardly ever need to repair any of these. Radiators can last decades, I've never had fuel injection break, and treated right, you can get many years out of an exhaust. But when something breaks in that EV, out of warranty, it will be a MAJOR expense.

By the time these battery packs are shot, there will be commercial businesses out there like Tire America that will either replace battery packs intact, or replace individual dead cells, at a reasonable cost.
You sure hope so.

As for towing and cold weather, those are things that purchasers will assess BEFORE they buy the fucking things.
Neither is ever any consideration with a normal truck.

Most non-commercial users who need towing capacity are talking about two significant tows per year, one to get the boat to the water for Summer, and one to bring it home. If there are some minor inconveniences associated with those two days a year, they will deal with them, in exchange for all the wonderful benefits of the EV experience.
Here, have some Koolaid.

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

You can come to any conclusion you like if you ignore the facts.

The car magazines that are praising the F-150 Lightning are not being paid by Ford. That is a childish assertion.

For whom is range really an issue? If you drive around the country, 50,000 miles a year, YOU WON'T BUY AN ELECTRIC TRUCK! Seriously, How often does the average private (not commercial) pickup truck owner need more than 300 miles of range. A couple times a year. And when those days arise, you just take five minutes and plan the trip. Unless you are an idiot (which seems to be a possibility here). My wife's car has 65,000 miles on it, and we have never gone more than 250 miles in a single day. If it were an electric car (or an F-150 Lightning) we would NEVER have had to charge away from home.

As for the four-door truck with a 5' bed, I also think that is a bullshit truck and I wouldn't own one, but 90% of consumers say that's what they want. I can't blame Ford for making the truck configuration what the vast majority of potential customers want.

Towing? Again, unless you are stupid, you won't get an E-truck if SERIOUS towing is part of your lifestyle. Get a Fucking Diesel.

The EPA mileage rating for the Lightning truck is 78 city/63 highway. That means that those are the equivalent fuel economy ratings, based on power consumption. So that F-150 that gets 18mpg on a good day will cost almost three times as much in fuel as the charging costs for the F-150 Lightning, probably better if always charging from home.

What kind of a vehicle can you get for $15,000? We are not talking about used junkers, we are talking about a NEW PICKUP TRUCK. And for reference, you can get a Chevy Bolt with a 260 mile range for $27,000. Have you looked at truck sticker prices (and out-the-door prices) lately? Almost none of them go out the door for less than 50 grand, and a lot of them are more than 70. Considering the substantial savings on fuel, F-150 Lightning prices are right where they should be, which is why they have a waiting list to get them.

Ford is on a winning streak, and the F-150 Lightning is a HOME RUN. Bad mouthing it is pointless and usually based on phony information.

My wife's car has 65,000 miles on it, and we have never gone more than 250 miles in a single day. If it were an electric car (or an F-150 Lightning) we would NEVER have had to charge away from home.
In the cold winter months of the northern states.
EV battery range is reduced by up to 40%
Which means you'd have to stop and recharge several times just to get to your destination and back.
There are many EV owners on youtube complaining about how quick the battery's charge goes down in cold weather..
And getting stranded and having to pay a tow truck to haul their EV to a charging station.

Last edited:
10 years from now used car lots will be full of EV's they can't sell because the battery is close to needing replacing. Which will cost more than the EV is worth.
The people that were foolish enough to by one. Will have a nice ornament setting on the driveway when the expensive electronic parts start needing replaced, and only the dealership with their sky high hourly repair rates and parts can fix..
About $16,000 for a Tesla battery replacement according to a simple Google peek.

I like cordless drills, but the damn batteries cost more than the tool. Cars will be no different.

You can come to any conclusion you like if you ignore the facts.
You're proving that right now.

The car magazines that are praising the F-150 Lightning are not being paid by Ford. That is a childish assertion.
What is childish is your failure to realize how their advertising and market revenue really works.

For whom is range really an issue? If you drive around the country, 50,000 miles a year, YOU WON'T BUY AN ELECTRIC TRUCK!
Really? What about in ten years when the government will try to FORCE you? You've just ADMITTED the huge shortcomings of EV.

Seriously, How often does the average private (not commercial) pickup truck owner need more than 300 miles of range.
Me. I used to travel nearly 80 miles a day, work very long hours, then come home and drop. Sometimes had to be back at work in less than 8 hours. No time to be fucking around looking for a charging station or trickle charging at home or waiting around all night getting a partial quick charge. No time to even hardly sleep. And Ace--- not one EV out there actually GETS 300 miles. That is the whole point. Have you watched the tests? Even the LONG RANGE models ended up only getting barely 75% of their mileage and that was when they babied the things and subjected them to best case scenarios. And while they were BRAND NEW.

And when those days arise, you just take five minutes and plan the trip.
5 minutes? Plan a trip? Are you serious? What is there to plan when you have to go way way out of your way to even HOPE to find a charging station anywhere close to where you need? And what about when you get there and there is a long line or the thing ain't working? Earth to DGS!!!

Towing? Again, unless you are stupid, you won't get an E-truck if SERIOUS towing is part of your lifestyle. Get a Fucking Diesel.
HELLO? Joe Biden wants to END the oil industry. END diesel. So how are you going to buy one then? And one of the main reasons people BUY PUs is FOR hauling and towing stuff, whether towing a hitch trailer for various reasons or loaded down in back. Years ago I was building a stone wall and took my 1/2 ton Chevy daily out to a stone quarry that sold the decorative stones I needed (big, hulking stones) and must have been loading more than 3/4 ton in back. The rear of the truck was so low, I had to be careful about bumps and the front tires were almost coming off the road--- lucky I didn't get stopped by a cop. Try that in your EV.

The EPA mileage rating for the Lightning truck is 78 city/63 highway. That means that those are the equivalent fuel economy ratings, based on power consumption.
They're LYING to you.

What kind of a vehicle can you get for $15,000?
My favorite answer to THAT stupid question is to point out that a few years back I bought a four door sedan with a powerful V6 hemi, leather interior, power moon roof, 6 CD changer, power steering, brakes, windows, mirrors, seats, cruise, AC, and anything else you can think of for $4K, and you could eat off the engine. Whistle clean. Still that way. Good exhaust and not one spot of rust.

Ford is on a winning streak
Must be why with this last battery issue, they are rated one of the most problematic brands out there! :auiqs.jpg:

and the F-150 Lightning is a HOME RUN.
Lemme guess, you are a sucker and already ORDERED one. :71: Sure, that's gotta be it.

Last edited:
He could have re-sold the LIghtning for a profit. My BS meter is acting up.
Yup, those things were going for more than $60k over MSRP… but this genius friend just gave it back because he thought it was shitty. I believe that, why don’t you? Haha

What’s shitty about it?
.1. Too heavy

2. Limited mileage

3. Deteriorating capacity over time

4. Slow charging times

5. Fire hazard

6. Tremendous burden on already stressed electrical grid.

7. Poor performance in cold weather.

There may be a good battery technology one of these days but it is not L-I. Many people who bought L-I vehicles will regret it.

Forum List

Back