SHEOL (
V11p282002.jpg
):

By: Emil G. Hirsch

see Sheol, Critical View), synonym of "bor" (pit), "abaddon" and "shaḥat" (pit or destruction), and perhaps also of "tehom" (abyss).

Eschatology). Here the dead meet (Ezek. xxxii.; Isa. xiv.; Job xxx. 23) without distinction of rank or condition—the rich and the poor, the pious and the wicked, the old and the young, the master and the slave—if the description in Job iii. refers, as most likely it does, to Sheol. The dead continue after a fashion their earthly life. Jacob would mourn there (Gen. xxxvii. 35, xlii. 38); David abides there in peace (I Kings ii. 6); the warriors have their weapons with them (Ezek. xxxii. 27), yet they are mere shadows ("rephaim"; Isa. xiv. 9, xxvi. 14; Ps. lxxxviii. 5, A. V. "a man that hath no strength"). The dead merely exist without knowledge or feeling (Job xiv. 13; Eccl. ix. 5). Silence reigns supreme; and oblivion is the lot of them that enter therein (Ps. lxxxviii. 13, xciv. 17; Eccl. ix. 10). Hence it is known also as "Dumah," the abode of silence (Ps. vi. 6, xxx. 10, xciv. 17, cxv. 17); and there God is not praised (ib. cxv. 17; Isa. xxxviii. 15). Still, on certain extraordinary occasions the dwellers in Sheol are credited with the gift of making knowntheir feelings of rejoicing at the downfall of the enemy (Isa. xiv. 9, 10). Sleep is their usual lot (Jer. li. 39; Isa. xxvi. 14; Job xiv. 12). Sheol is a horrible, dreary, dark, disorderly land (Job x. 21, 22); yet it is the appointed house for all the living (ib. xxx. 23). Return from Sheol is not expected (II Sam. xii. 23; Job vii. 9, 10; x. 21; xiv. 7 et seq.; xvi. 22; Ecclus. [Sirach] xxxviii. 21); it is described as man's eternal house (Eccl. xii. 5). It is "dust" (Ps. xxx. 10; hence in the Shemoneh 'Esreh, in benediction No. ii., the dead are described as "sleepers in the dust").

SHEOL - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Satan can't directly get a woman pregnant, but what if it manipulates birth rates? For example, in the east of the Ukraine, where there is an ultra nationalistic war currently, Stalin forced the indigenous Ukrainians to starve at a 70 % rate a few generations ago. Then he replaced them with Russians, and now these Russians consider that land their home and run a war to unite it with Russia. The birth rate of these Russians between Stalin and now has increased their fighting numbers 5 times, a 5 times increase of the Russian population, whilst three quarters of the indigenous Ukrainians starved. So, are these Russians the children of Satan? Especially considering their ultra nationalistic belligerence? And if you were one of them, would you continue your fight for Satan, or would you have another choice?

serious question? or did you just finish reading Good Omens?
He was watching Rosemary's Baby....

I wonder about all the people who existed BEFORE Jesus? All in hell and Satan's children? Lol. How silly.
Only one person was taken to Heaven without having a bodily death..Before Christ came...

What? How in the hell would you know?
It's called reading, try it sometime..

I don't read BS. :D
Then why be here if ignorance is your treasure?

I wonder about all the people who existed BEFORE Jesus? All in hell and Satan's children? Lol. How silly.
Only one person was taken to Heaven without having a bodily death..Before Christ came...

Ignorance? Just because you read something in a book doesn't make it true. Maybe you are the ignorant one for believing everything you read?

Ignorance? Just because you read something in a book doesn't make it true. Maybe you are the ignorant one for believing everything you read?
I do not believe everything I read, I merely absorb the information and store it in my brain for future use on a subject matter..Like I told my kids, even though we don't worship a God, you need to know the 411 so you can counter arguments and look like you know what you speak of...

I do not believe everything I read, I merely absorb the information and store it in my brain for future use on a subject matter..Like I told my kids, even though we don't worship a God, you need to know the 411 so you can counter arguments and look like you know what you speak of...

Nobody knows what happened before Christ. Good geebus. Lol.

Read the old Testament, or pick up a copy of
Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd Edition [6 volumes]: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, Edition 2

Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd Edition [6 volumes]: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, Edition 2

Fairy tales? :D

Did you never read Greek Mythology in school?

Yup.

Yup.
Now you know how the idea of Christ was born, by the influence of Hellenistic literature influencing Jewish Bible literature..With a little eschatology thrown in....Jesus is a Jewish idea to help them gain Independence from foreign occupation..The Christians have corrupted the original scheme..

Yup.
Now you know how the idea of Christ was born, by the influence of Hellenistic literature influencing Jewish Bible literature..

My question was based upon sarcasm and was rhetorical. Nobody KNOWS what happened back then and nobody knows now.

Yup.
Now you know how the idea of Christ was born, by the influence of Hellenistic literature influencing Jewish Bible literature..

My question was based upon sarcasm and was rhetorical. Nobody KNOWS what happened back then and nobody knows now.
Of course that is why faith is involved..

No one entered heaven( Gods dwelling place) before Jesus did.
Heaven is used in 3 different senses in the bible--our atmosphere( Elijah) -- outer space--and Gods dwelling place.
I was wrong it was a not a woman, been many, many years since I read it.........

• (Genesis 5:24)--"And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him."
  • (2 Kings 2:11)--"Then it came about as they were going along and talking, that behold, there appeared a chariot of fire and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven."
  • (Hebrews 11:5)--"By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God."

The NT assures--no man ever entered heaven before Jesus ascended. (John 3:13)
In the ot--10 years after the chariot event with Elijah, he wrote a letter to the king.(2Chron 21:12-15)--he was taken to another part of the earth and retired is what occurred--Elisha took over being Gods prophet.
Enoch did not go to heaven as you think he did either. Just in Gods rememberance.

This is the reality---The Hebrew word-Sheol= the Greek word-Hades--both translate--The grave--Hades = hell( English)-- it is where everyone goes who dies.

Nah, we are already IN hell. Mwa-ha-ha. :FIREdevil:

This is earth--a satan ruled earth. Gods kingdom is coming, it is a cure all. But the only ones who get to enter that kingdom are those who live now to do Gods will( Matt 7:21)

That's what YOU think. heh heh.

Its a promise from Gods son. Why would you want to stand in opposition?
So Jesus is not God?

Not if you belie with white collars who are paid to teach dogma.---John 20:17, Rev 3:12--Jesus has a God-his Father.
There is one true God---

At 1John 3 it explains who are the children of God and who are the children of the devil--it says---Its impossible for a child of God to practice even one sin. That means if one practices just one sin they are not a child of Gods--that means, this world is in big trouble. At minimum 99% are being mislead.
That's why Jesus was sent, because no one was making the grade....

And only 1% are now making the grade. And one of the biggest reasons why is because someone with a white collar on is assuring practicers of sin that they are saved or born again, and its not the truth.
Only 144, 000 make the grade in the end out of all the humans that have lived on Earth...

Only 144,000 are bought from the earth( Rev 14:3-- these are the little flock( Luke 12:32) the bride of Christ--these will rule on thrones alongside of Jesus during his reign as Gods appointed king.
Jesus gave this promise to the great multitude--Matt 5:5-Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.--this means the new earth.
The psalmist knew that truth as well-- Psalm 37: 9, 11, 29

Forum List

Back