Alec Baldwin Will Be Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting

I have never worked on a movie set. I believe they do use real firearms in many movies, For example Dirty Harry’s .44 magnum was a real gun. It is onl display in the NRA Museum.

https://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galleries/modern-firearms-1950-to-present/case-53-arms-of-law-enforcement/dirty-harry's-smith-wesson-44-magnum.aspx

They perform differently than the plastic fakes; many sets use both. Some of the fakes look more 'real' than the real ones do in some cases. Some are ridiculous. like the one Danny DeVito uses in Get Shorty, for instance.

I have never worked on a movie set. I believe they do use real firearms in many movies, For example Dirty Harry’s .44 magnum was a real gun. It is onl display in the NRA Museum.

https://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galleries/modern-firearms-1950-to-present/case-53-arms-of-law-enforcement/dirty-harry's-smith-wesson-44-magnum.aspx
It never crossed my mind that they use real guns because that just doesn't make sense from a safety perspective.\

Thank you for the civil response ;-)

It never crossed my mind that they use real guns because that just doesn't make sense from a safety perspective.\

Thank you for the civil response ;-)
Much may depend on the movie. In some movies the firearm plays a significant role.

An unloaded firearm is not dangerous at all or at least no more dangerous than a hammer. In Dirty Harry the Model 29 .44 Magnum was important in the movie so it definitely made sense to use a real gun.

Checking to see if a firearm is loaded isn’t all that difficult. Perhaps that is the reason that people forget to do it.,

Checking to see if a firearm is loaded isn’t all that difficult. Perhaps that is the reason that people forget to do it.,

While I agree with you that checking to see if the weapon is loaded or not isn't difficult especially since that's what any person who handles firearms and shoots on a regular basis would know to do, I don't think the same came be said of people who don't shoot.

On the other hand, if training is provided to the actor on the 5 rules of safe gun handling and they have it drilled into them that they are handling a real firearm and that they alone are responsible for ensuring that it's unload before they point it at anyone and/or pull the trigger, then maybe they will realize the how important it is to follow those rules.

While I agree with you that checking to see if the weapon is loaded or not isn't difficult especially since that's what any person who handles firearms and shoots on a regular basis would know to do, I don't think the same came be said of people who don't shoot.

On the other hand, if training is provided to the actor on the 5 rules of safe gun handling and they have it drilled into them that they are handling a real firearm and that they alone are responsible for ensuring that it's unload before they point it at anyone and/or pull the trigger, then maybe they will realize the how important it is to follow those rules.
There are times when a person has handed me a firearm I am not familiar with. I don’t care if I look like a fool, I ask them to show me it is unloaded. I would suggest anyone who is unfamiliar with handling firearms do the same and ask to be shown the firearm is unloaded.

I was once told that are two categories of shooters. …

!) Those who have already had an accidental discharge.

2) Those that will.

I remember talking to an experienced shooter on a pistol range who had been in the D-Day invasion. He carried a 1911 .45 auto during the war and enjoyed shooting one usually once a week at a pistol range. In his younger days he had won shotgun tournaments.

He told me that he went home from the range and was checking to see his .45 auto was unloaded. He screwed up somewhere in the process and had an AD. The bullet penetrated a wall and his washing machine. He could only do a small load in the washing machine after that. Fortunately he was living alone.

Many other shooters I have talked to have had similar accidents. The critical thing is to not have a firearm pointed at something you do not want to destroy when you pull the trigger.

I have had a couple surprise discharges on a pistol range. One with with a firearm that had a hair trigger that would fire with the slightest pressure and one with a double/single action pistol that fired before I was ready after the first shot. Of course the weapons were pointed down range so no damage was done.

Since I have not had a real AD after 50 years of shooting I am EXTREMELY careful today. I don’t want to have one. That’s for sure.

My biggest question is... 2 years??? Two years to do something about it??
The event is very clear cut with plenty of witnesses. How is it even possible a prosecutor took all this time to come up with a charge??

Many other shooters I have talked to have had similar accidents. The critical thing is to not have a firearm pointed at something you do not want to destroy when you pull the trigger.
Well that's the problem though. If you're shooting a scene that requires you to point the weapon at another person then you're taking that risk unless you had just checked the chamber to ensure it's not loaded

Well that's the problem though. If you're shooting a scene that requires you to point the weapon at another person then you're taking that risk unless you had just checked the chamber to ensure it's not loaded
I don’t work on movie sets but one time a talking head on TV said they have ways of filming a scene that makes you think a person pointed a firearm at another actor but they really didn’t.

I just think it's insane that they would even risk accidentally harming someone by using a real firearm and pointing it at another person.
A talking head on TV once said there are film techniques that make it look like someone was pointing a firearm at someone when he actually wasn’t. Since I have never been on a film crew I have no idea if this is accurate but it would seem you could point a firearm at a point above a person’s shoulder and on film it would look like the gun was pointed at his head.

He's an actor...
Which excuses what surada?
Do you think Tom Cruise can fly a fighter jet?
no, so he has no business really flying one, why do you ask?
The NRA has rules and guidelines that if followed would have saved this womans life in much the same way the FAA has rules and guidelines that Tom Cruise must follow if he is to use a fighter jet....
...we both know it is the NRA that got this right and not white liberal activist who would rather lecture than listen.
...if you filter that information properly you will have a different and correct understanding that you do not currently have.

I think this whole case against Baldwin is ridiculous. Should an actor really check every time he gets a gun if it contains live rounds? I doubt that any actor does this, because it is not his job.

I think this whole case against Baldwin is ridiculous. Should an actor really check every time he gets a gun if it contains live rounds?
Abso-fucking-lutely.

The entertainment industry shoud require any actor who handles a firearm to take an NRA basic safety training course as a condition of his employment.

And the actors also have to check, if the grenades or the dynamite is only fake and not real? The actors are not supposed to be weapon experts and the differences are not so easy to see actually. Therefore they have their team to take care of this. Furthermore, it is completely unexpected that live rounds could be on the set in the first place. So I see no fault with Baldwin. With the armorer however, this is a different story.

The actors are not supposed to be weapon experts and the differences are not so easy to see actually.
It takes less than a second to check a firearm, it is easy to do , and it is exceptionally easy to determine if is is or is not.
In fact, you shoud never accept a firearm from another person, unless you have checked it.

You're making excuses.

There are a lot of car drivers who caused deadly accidents due to dangerous driving. Usually, they dont spend a single day in jail, although they are much more to blame than Baldwin. It would be completely unfair, if he were sent to prison. I also dont understand, why people would like to see him behind bars so much. He is already punished enough with this incident.

Forum List

Back