Need advice: Nephew comes out gay to mom with emal utube. What a mess.

Beachboy, you have some serious issues with your sister that you have never worked out. You were never in a contest as to who your nephew loved best, you or his mother. You just wanted it to be that kind of contest. Maybe you have decided you don't like your sister because she's too religious and you don't like that. Your nephew is reflecting the way you feel about your sister and that has made you allies against her.

I don't know you, your sister or your nephew although I have met many similar types across the years. Your nephew sounds like any rebellious young man, if that is true, a change of living arrangements won't make him any less rebellious he will just be rebellious against you.

I do not see this situation with my sister as a big psychological drama, (though I was prepared to drop the matter into the hands of a psychiatrist). At least at the moment, my nephew hates his mother, and I think you have nailed this as "rebellious" behavior. My sister has gone too far, and I am going to reign her in.

I think my sister is a lost cause. She places her Bible as more important than family, or her son. Those two things are a "deal breaker" for me. To be honest, I do not enjoy the holidays with family. There is always something that spoils the day. And, I have not forgotten the way my brother dumped this whole gay business in my lap.

This year we will go out to eat for all three holidays, (my wife does not allow holiday preparations to be dumped on her, she has a career too). If my nephew wants to invite his mother's family, she will be welcome. But, I am not going to invite anyone with the possible exception of my father, and that will depend upon how he deals with the news about my nephew. Our dad sees my sister as "much ado about nothing." He sees my brother as irresponsible.

My great, great grandfather turned out family into a limited liability corporation for tax and inheritance reasons. I am practically the corporate agent now, which means I will control the money in the living trust after my father relinquishes control. If I can not keep this family together with mutual respect and love, I will use money to do it. And, that is precisely what my father wants. As LBJ used to say, "If you grab them by their nuts, their hearts and minds will follow."

LBJonstump.jpg

Lyndon Johnson was a very passionate person.
On this occasion JFK tried to cool LBJ down.
I truly love this photo. It is so American!​

Last edited:
Gays don't have the same concept of relationships as normal people or even lesbians. Gay men are highly promiscuous not because they are gay, but because they are men. Men have a natural inclination to promiscuity that is tempered or stopped by the demands of women. In a relationship of two men, they will both not only be promiscuous but accepting of one another's promiscuity. Love doesn't mean fidelity. It means I will always come back to you.

According to Lesbiatopia, lesbians enter into committed relationships at warp speed which is why the joke goes "What doe a lesbian bring to a second date? Answer: A U-Haul. But, not because they are lesbians, but because they are women and women desire a committed relationship on both sides.

Only normal heterosexuals have a courtship dance where they take time to evaluate one another.

I am hoping that when you used the term "normal" people, you meant "straight" people. I am in no position to agree or disagree with your remarks on gay men and promiscuity, but I have heard what you post before.

Perhaps it is where I live, but promiscuity is not a GLBTQ exclusive proposition. I have never participated in "swinging," but I do hear a lot about it. I think the "lady hiding coyly behind her fan" is Victorian fiction. From my experience, women want sex as much as men.

3136771-portrait-of-beautiful-woman-hiding-behind-fan.jpg

Some couples are swingers. Some couples have open marriages. This does not come close to what gay relationships are like.

I suspect your entire difficulty with your sister is that you think she puts the Bible ahead of her family. I see it as your sister putting her principles first. There are many parents who have to make similar decisions without resort to a Bible. A child becomes a criminal, a drug addict, a daughter becomes a prostitute. The child is just unmanageable and too old to send to their room. If you did not have such a Bible bias you might understand your sister's point. How much do you know about your sister's position? For all you know your nephew has made her life a misery.

By the way, if your relative set up an LLC for a living trust, I hope that you have had everything gone over by a good estate attorney because you could have neither and a sister suing you.

By the way, if your relative set up an LLC for a living trust, I hope that you have had everything gone over by a good estate attorney because you could have neither and a sister suing you.

This is excellent advice for any American. The LLC is the way to pass on wealth from generation to generation without having to pay estate or other taxes. My dad signed off on some documents through my attorney last spring. I am formally listed as his replacement, (a responsibility I did not want initially, but now I rather like having the biggest stick in the family).

It was explained to me that as long as my father is of sound mind, and makes changes while he is alive there is little my sister can do.

Frankly, I do not see why every family does not have this set up. An old friend of mine's family has gone a step further. All houses, autos, and real property are owned by their trust. They buy and sell houses and for each other. Only problem is he has to present his needs to the family, and they vote on decisions. My dad set things up so that he has total control. One of the changes made last spring was spelling out exactly what his/eventually my responsibilities are in terms of family.

One of the big pluses of an LLC is that if I ever lost my job and was about to lose my house, they can not take it until I decide to sell it. Only upon sale would I have to pay any outstanding judgements. Now that is a comfort already set up for my old age! An LLC is available in all 50 States for a couple hundred bucks. You can do it yourself, then bring in an attorney later as things get more complex.

Very glad you reminded me on this point. Thank you.

corporate-llc.jpg

Last edited:
Gays don't have the same concept of relationships as normal people or even lesbians. Gay men are highly promiscuous not because they are gay, but because they are men. Men have a natural inclination to promiscuity that is tempered or stopped by the demands of women. In a relationship of two men, they will both not only be promiscuous but accepting of one another's promiscuity. Love doesn't mean fidelity. It means I will always come back to you.

According to Lesbiatopia, lesbians enter into committed relationships at warp speed which is why the joke goes "What doe a lesbian bring to a second date? Answer: A U-Haul. But, not because they are lesbians, but because they are women and women desire a committed relationship on both sides.

Only normal heterosexuals have a courtship dance where they take time to evaluate one another.

I am hoping that when you used the term "normal" people, you meant "straight" people. I am in no position to agree or disagree with your remarks on gay men and promiscuity, but I have heard what you post before.

Perhaps it is where I live, but promiscuity is not a GLBTQ exclusive proposition. I have never participated in "swinging," but I do hear a lot about it. I think the "lady hiding coyly behind her fan" is Victorian fiction. From my experience, women want sex as much as men.

I'd move slow on legal points, Beachboy. Very slow. If there is a break in family relationships, sometimes they heal and people get back together like nothing happened. If you're emotionally involved, you could be hurt when you don't hear from either of the newly reconciled for 5 to 10 years. The only other thing I can see that could be a problem is some people troubled enough to communicate with authority figures with an unpleasant communication simply erase the last authority figure's name and put the new one's on it for the next time they're annoyed about something. Occasionally, a troubled gay guy will figure out it is easier to get what he wants with younger people he can coerce into silence, and the only improvement is increased incidents with more young partners. Be certain your wife never opens her door to explain to a cop why the neighbor is suing the family for corrupting their minor child, nor that you have to throw someone out who breached that trust with a cousin. Life is a long and winding road. What seems a good idea one year can turn to pure hell in less time than you know. Keep your options open for a few years. No one can foresee the future, but one thing's certain: you can't get satisfaction based on the unhappiness of someone else, no matter what the circumstances. Nor can they achieve their satisfaction based on destroying what you have.

This is excellent advice for any American. The LLC is the way to pass on wealth from generation to generation without having to pay estate or other taxes. My dad signed off on some documents through my attorney last spring. I am formally listed as his replacement, (a responsibility I did not want initially, but now I rather like having the biggest stick in the family).

It was explained to me that as long as my father is of sound mind, and makes changes while he is alive there is little my sister can do.

Frankly, I do not see why every family does not have this set up. An old friend of mine's family has gone a step further. All houses, autos, and real property are owned by their trust. They buy and sell houses and for each other. Only problem is he has to present his needs to the family, and they vote on decisions. My dad set things up so that he has total control. One of the changes made last spring was spelling out exactly what his/eventually my responsibilities are in terms of family.

One of the big pluses of an LLC is that if I ever lost my job and was about to lose my house, they can not take it until I decide to sell it. Only upon sale would I have to pay any outstanding judgements. Now that is a comfort already set up for my old age! An LLC is available in all 50 States for a couple hundred bucks. You can do it yourself, then bring in an attorney later as things get more complex.

corporate-llc.jpg

Excuse me, did you just say that forming an LLC can get you out of paying your mortgage?

By the way, if your relative set up an LLC for a living trust, I hope that you have had everything gone over by a good estate attorney because you could have neither and a sister suing yuou.

corporate-llc.jpg

I've set up hundreds of these and know exactly how they work and how they don't.

By the way, if your relative set up an LLC for a living trust, I hope that you have had everything gone over by a good estate attorney because you could have neither and a sister suing yuou.

corporate-llc.jpg

I've set up hundreds of these and know exactly how they work and how they don't.

Well, then you can answer my question...is he accurate in stating that an LLC can essentially keep you from losing your house even if you don't pay your mortgage?

corporate-llc.jpg

Well, then you can answer my question...is he accurate in stating that an LLC can essentially keep you from losing your house even if you don't pay your mortgage?

Of course not. An LLC acts very much like a corporation. If the house is owned by the LLC and not by the individual, and the mortgage isn't paid, the house will go into foreclosure just like if it was owned by an individual. The question is if a house is owned by an LLC is the individual responsible for the mortgage? If that's the case, the corporate veil will be pierced, the benefit of living in the house will be shown to flow to the individual and not to the corporation, and the individual will have to pay the mortgage personally.

Corporations and LLC lose properties all the time because they can't pay the mortgages on development properties they have bought. Or, can't pay some other debt that runs with the land. It could be a mechanic's lien or the property was put up as collateral for something else there are really any number of laws that come into play and vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

There are dozens of laws that affect property ownership and who holds the property. That's why anyone contemplating avoidance techniques need to consult with an expert attorney. Most of what people think they know is wrong.

corporate-llc.jpg

Excuse me, did you just say that forming an LLC can get you out of paying your mortgage?

No, I said it can keep a creditor from throwing you out of your house. Every State has different laws. In some States you can only create an LLC if you are not in desperate debt. You really should try to Google LLC in your State.

I'd move slow on legal points, Beachboy. Very slow. If there is a break in family relationships, sometimes they heal and people get back together like nothing happened. If you're emotionally involved, you could be hurt when you don't hear from either of the newly reconciled for 5 to 10 years. The only other thing I can see that could be a problem is some people troubled enough to communicate with authority figures with an unpleasant communication simply erase the last authority figure's name and put the new one's on it for the next time they're annoyed about something. Occasionally, a troubled gay guy will figure out it is easier to get what he wants with younger people he can coerce into silence, and the only improvement is increased incidents with more young partners. Be certain your wife never opens her door to explain to a cop why the neighbor is suing the family for corrupting their minor child, nor that you have to throw someone out who breached that trust with a cousin. Life is a long and winding road. What seems a good idea one year can turn to pure hell in less time than you know. Keep your options open for a few years. No one can foresee the future, but one thing's certain: you can't get satisfaction based on the unhappiness of someone else, no matter what the circumstances. Nor can they achieve their satisfaction based on destroying what you have.

Wise words to consider. Thank you. We live in a time when people call their lawyers before they call the police. I am angry at my sister, I do not feel long term malice. To be totally frank, I think my nephew hates his mother beyond words. And, from the stories I have heard, he may have a point. None-the-less this does not justify using an email video to inform his mother that he is leaning gay.

corporate-llc.jpg

Please share freely, because I am aware that each State has its own LLC regulations, and I would not like to mislead anyone. One can conceivably set up an LLC by using Google.

corporate-llc.jpg

No, I said it can keep a creditor from throwing you out of your house. Every State has different laws. In some States you can only create an LLC if you are not in desperate debt. You really should try to Google LLC in your State.

What "creditor" can throw me out of my house? That's ridiculous. The only "creditor" that can throw me out of my house is the one that holds my mortgage and the municiple entity to whom I owe property taxes. No other.

You make it sound like if I don't pay my credit card bill, Chase Freedom can throw me out of my house. Not so!

Last edited:

Of course not. An LLC acts very much like a corporation. If the house is owned by the LLC and not by the individual, and the mortgage isn't paid, the house will go into foreclosure just like if it was owned by an individual. The question is if a house is owned by an LLC is the individual responsible for the mortgage? If that's the case, the corporate veil will be pierced, the benefit of living in the house will be shown to flow to the individual and not to the corporation, and the individual will have to pay the mortgage personally.

Corporations and LLC lose properties all the time because they can't pay the mortgages on development properties they have bought. Or, can't pay some other debt that runs with the land. It could be a mechanic's lien or the property was put up as collateral for something else there are really any number of laws that come into play and vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

There are dozens of laws that affect property ownership and who holds the property. That's why anyone contemplating avoidance techniques need to consult with an expert attorney. Most of what people think they know is wrong.

Ahhh...... the information you provide does not agree with what our attorney is telling us here in California. In New Mexico the LLC is the barrier between the bankruptcy laws the Governor allowed banks to write in 2006. We have some property there, but I do not claim to be an expert in this area. However, from reading this thread, maybe I should become an expert if I am to be the registered agent for an LLC. The reason I was given is that the members of an LLC may be different from those who dwell in the property.

We put a relative's property into a New Mexico LLC. To insure protecting that property against creditors. the property tax, and insurance are paid by the LLC from funds charged as rent to our relative. We are just switching money from one hand into our other.

Then we put our relative on a renters policy, ($100 a year). Which demonstrates for the courts if necessary that the person who lives in the house is in fact a renter, and is different than the people who own the LLC, even though that renter is shareholder in the LLC.

Creditors can sue our relative all they want, but I as a shareholder in the LLC can not be held responsible for the relative's debts. I do recall that Met Home had to take some special action to insure the house under the twisted New Mexico law.

I don't know about your State, but as far as California and New Mexico the LLC was designed for the small business person to have protection for their personal property from debts incurred by the business just as a corporation does.

What "creditor" can throw me out of my house? That's ridiculous. The only "creditor" that can throw me out of my house is the one that holds my mortgage and the municipale entity to whom I owe property taxes. No other.

You make it sound like if I don't pay my credit card bill, Chase Freedom can throw me out of my house. Not so!

As I understand it, in some States when a house is paid for in full, it is no longer considered your home, but an asset. Assets can be taken with judgements. The LLC protects those who own their home, outright. It is also my understanding that if your home is financed, and you face bankruptcy, the bank will want to work out a plan to keep you in the house if possible. Apparently, foreclosure is a tedious, involved, expensive process. Banks do not like to lose money.

My information is pertinent to the states my family does business in, and I am just getting educated on all this. Again, I say Google your State LLC regulations.

LimitedLiabilityCompany.png

Last edited:

What "creditor" can throw me out of my house? That's ridiculous. The only "creditor" that can throw me out of my house is the one that holds my mortgage and the municipale entity to whom I owe property taxes. No other.

As I understand it, in some States when a house is paid for in full, it is no longer considered your home, but an asset. Assets can be taken with judgements. The LLC protects those who own their home, outright. It is also my understanding that if your home is financed, and you face bankruptcy, the bank will want to work out a plan to keep you in the house if possible. Apparently, foreclosure is a tedious, involved, expensive process. Banks do not like to lose money.

My information is pertinent to the states my family does business in, and I am just getting educated on all this. Again, I say Google your State LLC regulations.

LimitedLiabilityCompany.png

Oh, good, I don't have to worry. My house is far from being paid off! lol

A home can be foreclosed on by any claim that runs with the land. Not only a mortgage but homeowners association fees, perfected mechanic's liens and property taxes are examples of claims that run with the land. How can a home fully paid for be subject to foreclosure? Easy, claims that run with the land are just like a mortgage!

There are asssets, which is everything you own and secured assets like a car. Default on a secured asset and the asset will be repossessed. Default on an unsecured asset and the creditor will get a judgment good for ten years, renewable in ten year increments. Unsecured creditors can't repossess anything. Garnish your wages is about all.

Bankruptcy is actually federal jurisdiction with no difference in laws among states. Some states have a two track system in which the debtor can elect whether to use federal or state law.

If you think that a home owned outright by an LLC will protect it from personal debt you are in serious need of expert legal advice and I mean expert. If you live in a home owned by an LLC and you are the director of that LLC the corporate veil will be pierced in about five minutes. Now if the LLC owns the home and you rent it, that's another ball game. Not total protection but you have a thin layer.

There was some charlatan a few years ago running around selling asset protection. I went to a
seminar just to see what he was pedaling. I was stunned at what he was telling people to protect their assets.

I used to set up corporations and LLCs in Nevada. They changed their laws and Nevada is just terrible. The hot asset protection state is now Wyoming. I just opened a new Wyoming corporation for the
company I'm with.

Unwinding and sorting out a badly done asset protection structure is very difficult and very expensive. I had a potential client once that treated a Living Trust done by their grandfather still being followed by grandchildren! It took years and thousands of dollars to straighten that mess out.

Get a good lawyer an expert lawyer and only do what that lawyer says. After a second opinion.

Forum List

Back