I was fired because I support Trump!

Should your boss be able to fire you for your political views?

• Yes

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 70.0%

• Total voters
Well? What say you good people?

were you being an obnoxious jerk to the people around you? were you imposing your "views" on others?
Nope. I just wore my “Make America great again!" hat to work last week, and my boss said, "If you're not smart enough to realize that Trump is playing you like the audience of WWF, then you can find somewhere else to work!".

Isn't that discrimination?

were you being an obnoxious jerk to the people around you? were you imposing your "views" on others?
Nope. I just wore my “Make America great again!" hat to work last week, and my boss said, "If you're not smart enough to realize that Trump is playing you like the audience of WWF, then you can find somewhere else to work!".

Discrimination? Nah just culling unneeded and unwanted workers

You think people should be fired for their political views? Like, could a boss fire, or refuse to hire, anyone she suspected of being a Democrat?

Right to work states allow anyone to be fired for any, or no reason. Right wingers love the idea.
So conservative minded bosses can now fire liberals for their views too.................sweet..............

You think people should be fired for their political views? Like, could a boss fire, or refuse to hire, anyone she suspected of being a Democrat?

Right to work states allow anyone to be fired for any, or no reason. Right wingers love the idea.

No they don't. They can't fire anyone for the reasons designated as protected classes. And in California, political affiliation is as protected class. My lawyer days is a slam dunk. Show me the money!

No they don't. They can't fire anyone for the reasons designated as protected classes. And in California, political affiliation is as protected class. My lawyer days is a slam dunk. Show me the money!
Take it to the mat..............I agree

Well yes, that would be discrimination. Then again, only considering applicants who have a bachelor's degree is also discrimination. Only certain forms of discrimination are prohibited. The majority of the time, discrimination is lawful, expected, and advisable.

Well, I live in California, where political affiliation is a protected class. My lawyer says I have a strong case.
It is? I live in CA and not aware of that.

It's a 50/50 kind of thing. In California an employer can't try to control or coerce employees' political beliefs of affiliations. But that protection does not protect you from political expressions in the workplace that create disruptions.
There was no disruption. No one said anything about it. No one even talks to me at work.

I can see that. I try not to talk to you on this message board. Seems normal.

Not if you keep it to yourself. But if one ignores an employer's dress code for wearing an item of clothing that publicly displays party affiliation, then that's another matter.

Where is the line drawn? Wearing something political? Having a political poster on the wall in your office? A bumper sticker? Should a person wearing a 'Black Lives Matter' T-Shirt be fired?

What should be and what is are two different things. California is an "at will" state. It gives employers lots of advantages that employees can only complain about.

That is an interesting statement coming from someone who fashions himself a "live and let live" libertarian.

You mean firing an idiot is discrimination?
I was fired because I support Trump.

And? California is an "at will" state. You might want to look that up.

You mean firing an idiot is discrimination?
I was fired because I support Trump.

And? California is an "at will" state. You might want to look that up.
Join everyone else leaving that state.........You will not miss it............LOL

Only thing keeping the population up are illegals...................LOL

So conservative minded bosses can now fire liberals for their views too.................sweet..............

Yep.

Where is the line drawn? Wearing something political? Having a political poster on the wall in your office? A bumper sticker? Should a person wearing a 'Black Lives Matter' T-Shirt be fired?

What should be and what is are two different things. California is an "at will" state. It gives employers lots of advantages that employees can only complain about.
Not that much advantage.

LABOR CODE - LAB
DIVISION 2. EMPLOYMENT REGULATION AND SUPERVISION [200 - 2699.5]

( Division 2 enacted by Stats. 1937, Ch. 90. )
PART 3. PRIVILEGES AND IMMUNITIES [920 - 1138.5]
( Part 3 enacted by Stats. 1937, Ch. 90. )

CHAPTER 5. Political Affiliations [1101 - 1106]
( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1937, Ch. 90. )

No employer shall coerce or influence or attempt to coerce or influence his employees through or by means of threat of discharge or loss of employment to adopt or follow or refrain from adopting or following any particular course or line of political action or political activity.

(Enacted by Stats. 1937, Ch. 90.)
Law section

only if they're pushing their politics at work.

or do you not understand simple English?

That's the second time you have said "My lawyer days". WTF, over?

Yes they do. Right wingers forced the issue. You might want to check what California law actually says. It might not be a right to work state, but I promise you employers have lots of ways to fire you and there is little you can do about it.

Yes they do. Right wingers forced the issue. You might want to check what California law actually says. It might not be a right to work state, but I promise you employers have lots of ways to fire you and there is little you can do about it.
Hello, can you see me? :4_13_65:

LABOR CODE - LAB

No employer shall coerce or influence or attempt to coerce or influence his employees through or by means of threat of discharge or loss of employment to adopt or follow or refrain from adopting or following any particular course or line of political action or political activity.

Not that much advantage.

LABOR CODE - LAB

Law section

Can I Be Fired For No Reason in California? | LegalMatch Law Library
Can you Get Fire for No Reason?

• California is an at-will state, which means that an employer can terminate you for any reason at any time of the employment with or without reason. This means that if your employer doesn’t like your personality, runs out of work for you to do, thinks you are lazy or just doesn't want anymore employees, they can fire you at any time.

Most employee handbooks today contain an at-will employment disclaimer. Most handbooks define what at-will employment and require an employee to sign an acknowledgment of their at-will status at the company. However, an at-will employee does have a right not to be terminated for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law.

What is At-Will Employment in California?
An at-will employment in California means that the employer or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, as long as the reason is not illegal. It does not make a difference whether the employee actually did anything wrong. If the employee is at-will, any reason, including no reason, is a proper basis for termination.

Being an at-will employee does not give your employer all the reasons to fire you and there are exceptions. An employer can’t terminate you for any illegal reason. Some illegal reasons for terminating an employee in California include discrimination based on your sex, gender, religious belief, sexual orientation. If an employee is fired for any of these reasons, they may be entitled to sue the employer for discrimination. There are also other occasions where an employer can’t easily fire an employee such as if the employee has an employment contract with the employer or if the employee is a member of a union and under a union collective bargaining agreement.

If one has no better judgment than to air one's political views in situations that may in some way and in the firm's estimation compromise its revenue generating capability/prospects or smooth internal operations and conviviality/comradery, then, yes, one's boss should be able to fire one for airing one's political views.

That's not exactly firing one for having the political views one does, but it wouldn't surprise me to discover that folks who lack the prudence to know what to say and when to say (or not say) it don't understand the difference. Stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:

Not that much advantage.

LABOR CODE - LAB

Law section

Can I Be Fired For No Reason in California? | LegalMatch Law Library
Can you Get Fire for No Reason?

• California is an at-will state, which means that an employer can terminate you for any reason at any time of the employment with or without reason. This means that if your employer doesn’t like your personality, runs out of work for you to do, thinks you are lazy or just doesn't want anymore employees, they can fire you at any time.

Most employee handbooks today contain an at-will employment disclaimer. Most handbooks define what at-will employment and require an employee to sign an acknowledgment of their at-will status at the company. However, an at-will employee does have a right not to be terminated for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law.

What is At-Will Employment in California?
An at-will employment in California means that the employer or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, as long as the reason is not illegal. It does not make a difference whether the employee actually did anything wrong. If the employee is at-will, any reason, including no reason, is a proper basis for termination.

Being an at-will employee does not give your employer all the reasons to fire you and there are exceptions. An employer can’t terminate you for any illegal reason. Some illegal reasons for terminating an employee in California include discrimination based on your sex, gender, religious belief, sexual orientation. If an employee is fired for any of these reasons, they may be entitled to sue the employer for discrimination. There are also other occasions where an employer can’t easily fire an employee such as if the employee has an employment contract with the employer or if the employee is a member of a union and under a union collective bargaining agreement.
Is that a law? The link I produced is.

Forum List

Back