I was fired because I support Trump!

Should your boss be able to fire you for your political views?

• Yes

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 70.0%

• Total voters
Well? What say you good people?

were you being an obnoxious jerk to the people around you? were you imposing your "views" on others?
Nope. I just wore my “Make America great again!" hat to work last week, and my boss said, "If you're not smart enough to realize that Trump is playing you like the audience of WWF, then you can find somewhere else to work!".

Isn't that discrimination?

no, son, that's life

Well the poll results are gratifying. It's good to see some people care about free speech.
Leftist only agree with Free Speech to those that agree with them...........it's just the way they roll..............

Kinda like Facebook............make sure opinions of the opposition are silenced.............

Marx would be proud of them.

Examples of such 'leftist' speech might be better when you include it in your rant, BTW. Which part of the first amendment right are you being deprived of?

LOL..so far 8 have voted that it's ok to fire someone for political views, too funny...liberals no doubt.

LOL... no doubt. They only care about discrimination when it's a conservative doing it.
California, God bless them, is NOT an ''at will state''.... me thinks you have a ''case'', even without discrimination laws in California....?

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf

Finally, a
minority of States has read an implied covenant of good faith
and fair dealing into the employment relationship. The good-
faith covenant has been interpreted in different ways, from
meaning that terminations must be for cause to meaning that
terminations cannot be made in bad faith or with malice in-
tended. Only six western States—Alaska, California, Idaho,
Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming—recognize all three of the ma-
jor exceptions.

Last edited:

LOL..so far 8 have voted that it's ok to fire someone for political views, too funny...liberals no doubt.

LOL... no doubt. They only care about discrimination when it's a conservative doing it.
California, God bless them, is NOT an ''at will state''.... me thinks you hae a ''case'', even without discrimination laws in California....?

Finally, a
jor exceptions.

Dang, you ever look things up, or you just make em up as you go along.
At-Will Employment in California: Definition & Limitations.

California, God bless them, is NOT an ''at will state''.... me thinks you hae a ''case'', even without discrimination laws in California....?

Finally, a
jor exceptions.

uhhhh, maybe YOU should actually READ your own link?

Finally, a
jor exceptions.

uhhhh, maybe YOU should actually READ your own link?

Here let me print some of it for you.

In California, most employment is, by default, defined as being “at-will.”[1] Employment that is “at-will” may be terminated at any time at the will of either party—either the employee or the employer—with or without cause.[2] Employment that is for a specific term longer than one month is not “at-will.”

You are qualified to be Trump's secretary of state or war minister, go get a job with your dear leader. Of course in a few months he'll fire you as well and destroy any career opportunities you may have had but you will have been in the presence of your sacred orange turd.
Simple answer: No.

Qualified answer: Politics shouldn't be discussed at work, just like religion and sex should be off topic for the workplace.
But you don't think a boss should be able to fire someone for their political views, right?

If you are over 30 years old you already know people will fire you for any reason at all, they don't like the way you tie your shoes, and just say it's for something else. The question is mute.

Moot.

Works either way. Don't join the grammar cops, they find a word and beat a confession out of it. :eusa_eh:

Thought you were a committed Libertarian.. We just get fired because some folks think we're Unitarians.. :banana:

Didya really get fired for "supporting Trump"?? I doubt that.

LEGALLY? Yes. Your boss should be able to fire you for your EXPRESSED political views. But that's more a reflection on them than on you.. And that they are petty power whores who put that above the priorities of productivity and ability. Especially if you're a pest about it at work or your views publicly associate the biz with a political alignment -- Adios -- you're a liability. See the NFL protests as an example. In that case, its not your political views, it's your lack of common sense to understand the damage you're doing to the cause.

were you being an obnoxious jerk to the people around you? were you imposing your "views" on others?
Nope. I just wore my “Make America great again!" hat to work last week, and my boss said, "If you're not smart enough to realize that Trump is playing you like the audience of WWF, then you can find somewhere else to work!".

Well yes, that would be discrimination. Then again, only considering applicants who have a bachelor's degree is also discrimination. Only certain forms of discrimination are prohibited. The majority of the time, discrimination is lawful, expected, and advisable.

Then do you believe that hiring discrimination is OK for orgs like Media and Academia that routinely SELECT applicants on the basis of political alignment? Because that's obviously a direct parallel to discriminatory firing..

SOMEONE gets fired BEFORE they're even hired in that case...

You are qualified to be Trump's secretary of state or war minister, go get a job with your dear leader. Of course in a few months he'll fire you as well and destroy any career opportunities you may have had but you will have been in the presence of your sacred orange turd.
Simple answer: No.

Qualified answer: Politics shouldn't be discussed at work, just like religion and sex should be off topic for the workplace.
But you don't think a boss should be able to fire someone for their political views, right?

If you are over 30 years old you already know people will fire you for any reason at all, they don't like the way you tie your shoes, and just say it's for something else. The question is mute.

Moot.

Works either way. Don't join the grammar cops, they find a word and beat a confession out of it. :eusa_eh:

LOL!

No.

Well yes, that would be discrimination. Then again, only considering applicants who have a bachelor's degree is also discrimination. Only certain forms of discrimination are prohibited. The majority of the time, discrimination is lawful, expected, and advisable.

Then do you believe that hiring discrimination is OK for orgs like Media and Academia that routinely SELECT applicants on the basis of political alignment? Because that's obviously a direct parallel to discriminatory firing..

Not quite sure what you're asking. Yes, hiring decisions are subject to discrimination laws just as much as firing decisions. Obviously. In terms of political affiliation being a protected class, there are exceptions just like other protected classes. Specifically, when the political affiliation has some actual relevance to the job. A Republican candidate for office is allowed to discriminate against would-be campaign staff who are Democrats. A Catholic church is allowed to discriminate against Jews when hiring a new priest. A movie director is allowed to discriminate against men when hiring an actor to portray a female character.

Not quite sure what you're asking. Yes, hiring decisions are subject to discrimination laws just as much as firing decisions. Obviously. In terms of political affiliation being a protected class, there are exceptions just like other protected classes. Specifically, when the political affiliation has some actual relevance to the job. A Republican candidate for office is allowed to discriminate against would-be campaign staff who are Democrats. A Catholic church is allowed to discriminate against Jews when hiring a new priest. A movie director is allowed to discriminate against men when hiring an actor to portray a female character.

So no conservative journalists need apply at the WashPo or CNN? Even if it's NOT an "analyst" job? Or a university can't pack a Political Science with folks that match their political views?

Are those VALID exceptions to political discrimination in Hiring/Firing?

So no conservative journalists need apply at the WashPo or CNN? Even if it's NOT an "analyst" job? Or a university can't pack a Political Science with folks that match their political views?

Are those VALID exceptions to political discrimination in Hiring/Firing?

WaPo frequently runs conservative editorials. I don't know about CNN.

Let me guess. You were at work shooting off your mouth about how n-word-ers and wet backs are going to get shot dead if they try to move across the border because MAGA, and HR decided that you were creating a hostile work environment. You now have morphed that in your mind as being fired for supporting Trump, completely unwilling to take personal responsibility for your actions. That about right?
Probably not, Jake

Forum List

Back