Greatest guitar solo of all time

Oh, we are debating skill level? I thought the OP was greatest guitar solo.

Voodoo Child is blues? All along the watch tower? Blues?
Yep, they are blues when Hendrix strarts playing blues guitar on the song. You could perform those songs without blues guitar playing, but it wouldnt sound the same and it would lose its soul.

Yep, they are blues when Hendrix strarts playing blues guitar on the song. You could perform those songs without blues guitar playing, but it wouldnt sound the same and it would lose its soul.
Many people feel the same way about classical music and jazz and neo classical players like Petrucci and Mamsteen.

I have to disagree with you on this. Jimi was awesome, no doubt about it. But SRV had just that little extra touch that sets him above.

SRV wouldn't think so, he payed homage to Jimi every chance he could, but Jimi just didn't live long enough to truly master the instrument.
i doubt that stevie would agree with you. Hendrix himself said Terry Kath.

so who is better, Kath or SRV?

It would be nice to see Hendrix on stage with Stevie.

Truly master? I think you are way off on that one. Hendrix mastered the Strat, but more than that Hendrix mastered the sound of Heavy Metal blasted at full volume out of Marshall stacks using effects.

Hendrix, mastered tone, sound, distortion, feedback

i doubt that stevie would agree with you. Hendrix himself said Terry Kath.

so who is better, Kath or SRV?

It would be nice to see Hendrix on stage with Stevie.

Truly master? I think you are way off on that one. Hendrix mastered the Strat, but more than that Hendrix mastered the sound of Heavy Metal blasted at full volume out of Marshall stacks using effects.

Hendrix, mastered tone, sound, distortion, feedback
Hendrix said Terry Kath because he didnt live long enough to meet the true guitar greats. No one before 1980 is anywhere close to the greatest guitar player. The greatest guitar players before the 80s were at best 7 out of 10 when it comes to technique by todays standards.

Hendrix said Terry Kath because he didnt live long enough to meet the true guitar greats. No one before 1980 is anywhere close to the greatest guitar player.
In your way of thinking.

For my perspective, what you are saying is like claiming a construction worker who can pound the most nails in 60 seconds therefore always builds the best houses. From where I stand, he almost never does.

Certainly Hendrix played the blues, voodoo child, slight return was not the blues.

Voodoo Chile, is a great Hendrix blues tune. Nothing Stevie does touched it

Hendrix said Terry Kath because he didnt live long enough to meet the true guitar greats. No one before 1980 is anywhere close to the greatest guitar player. The greatest guitar players before the 80s were at best 7 out of 10 when it comes to technique by todays standards.
You are sniffing model airplane dope

What is the greatest hard rock solo of 2023

Terry Kath, you never heard

Certainly Hendrix played the blues, voodoo child, slight return was not the blues.

Voodoo Chile, is a great Hendrix blues tune. Nothing Stevie does touched it
The guitar playing on those songs is a rock/blues combination.

You are sniffing model airplane dope

What is the greatest hard rock solo of 2023

Terry Kath, you never heard
This is the best guitar solo from 2023. Extreme released this song this year. This solo has a million reaction videos for it. It went viral.

Hendrix could never even dream of doing this solo. Just click play and it takes you right to it.

Last edited:
This is the best guitar solo from 2023. Extreme released this song this year. This solo has a million reaction videos for it. It went viral.

Hendrix could never even dream of doing this solo. Just click play and it takes you right to it.

That is a nice solo, we can call it great, but sorry, we will all forget that solo, and here we are arguing Hendrix, 50 years later.

50 years from now, who was that?

That is a nice solo, we can call it great, but sorry, we will all forget that solo, and here we are arguing Hendrix, 50 years later.

50 years from now, who was that?
Again, its not a debate of "influence", its a debate of skill. Nuno Bettencourt doesnt have the advantage of killing himself with drugs at a young age to make him skyrocket in fame. Extremes music itself is also not mind blowing and therefore it is unable to exert influence on future generations.

Again, its not a debate of "influence", its a debate of skill. Nuno Bettencourt doesnt have the advantage of killing himself with drugs at a young age to make him skyrocket in fame.
He also doesn't have the advantage of his music moving people. He is a performer who does parlor tricks.

Terry Kath, Chicago, not my favorite band, but this solo is one of the best

Didnt know the name, but im well aware of that song. Heard it many times. That generation hadnt honed guitar the way they did in the 80s. The 80s only honed it because that period of time was inspired by all the greats from the 70s, so you had this time period with the most guitar players ever existing at one time. The world guitarist population likely exploded 100 times more than it was in the 70s. By the sheer volume of guitar players, it was inevitable that they would surpass all who came before them. Technique advanced tremendously in the 80s as well.

Didnt know the name, but im well aware of that song. Heard it many times. That generation hadnt honed guitar the way they did in the 80s. The 80s only honed it because that period of time was inspired by all the greats from the 70s, so you had this time period with the most guitar players ever existing at one time. The world guitarist population likely exploded 100 times more than it was in the 70s. By the sheer volume of guitar players, it was inevitable that they would surpass all who came before them. Technique advanced tremendously in the 80s as well.
Sure, and that is were Nuno is stuck

Sure, and that is were Nuno is stuck

Yep, guys like him, Stariani, Eddie Van Halen, etc., became virtuosos on the guitar. They advanced techniques greatly. Clapton, Hendrix, Page, none of those dudes could scale like guitarists in the 80s.

Every generation gets better than the next, in most cases. Unfortunately with guitar, its popularity has waned greatly, so you arent going to see incredible advancements today.

Forum List

Back