Greatest guitar solo of all time

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
This is a bold statement, but i discovered today what i think might be the greatest guitar solo ever. This is Dream Theatres cover of Dio's masterpiece called "Stargazer". I conveniently set up the video to start right at the solo for you all.

Who can show me a cooler solo than this?

This is a bold statement, but i discovered today what i think might be the greatest guitar solo ever. This is Dream Theatres cover of Dio's masterpiece called "Stargazer". I conveniently set up the video to start right at the solo for you all.

The greatest guitar solo of all time, is Eric Clapton, Just like a Prisoner song.

The greatest guitar solo of all time, is Eric Clapton, Just like a Prisoner song.
It doesnt come even remotely close to the skill level and cool factor of the solo in the OP. A million guitar players can play Clapton's solos, but only a handful of people can do what John Petrucci can do. Clapton is a mid level guitar player by todays standards.

Last edited:
There are no single great guitar solos but rather quite a few great guitar solos. It is just a matter of opinion.
Kinda. You can like the guitar solo from "Back in Black" (for example), but you cant claim that its the greatest guitar solo of all time. It doesnt qualify by any metric other than "personal preference".

You haven't even heard the song!
There is no guitarist from the 70's or earlier that even qualifies to be in this discussion. Clapton would be in the "intermediate" category at Berkley music school if he went there today as an unknown person. Hendrix would too. They arent "experts" by todays standards.

I can agree to that.

Greatest guitarists of all time...

1. Jiminy Hendrix
  2. Eric Clapton
  3. Jeff Beck
  4. Jimmy Page
  5. Eddie Van Halan
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughn
  7. Alvin Lee
  8. Carlos Santana
  9. Lee Ritinour
  10. Jeff Healey
Every name on that list is not as technically sound as todays guitar players. They are many many years behind in technique.

The greatest guitar solo of all time does not exist.

There is no guitarist from the 70's or earlier that even qualifies to be in this discussion. Clapton would be in the "intermediate" category at Berkley music school if he went there today as an unknown person. Hendrix would too. They arent "experts" by todays standards.
You are so FOS!

You are so FOS!
Have you ever seen Clapton finger tap? How about the use of harmonics? Nope. He just plays straight with no exceptional technique involved. Its because he was born too early. Had he been born a couple decades later, he would have been better, but he could only learn from what was available in the 60's and 70's, which was very rudimentary compared to todays standards.

Bro, come on man. Thats just noise and sounds. There isnt a damn thing cool about that. I dont know about the rest of their catalog, but Jesus Christ, that song is really bad. :laugh:

"Noise and Sounds?" Do you have bad audio on your computer or damaged hearing? I realize some crappy digital feed off YouTube is no substityute for seeing them live. BTW, that is only half the song. Maybe it is just too far over the top for you to follow along. Takes a very evolved listening skill. McLaughlin is the undisputed master of the guitar.

McLaughlin is the undisputed master of the guitar.
You have to at least be known before you can become "the undisputed master of guitar". I think pretty much every guitarist and guitar fan on Earth would dispute that claim. :laugh:

Easily , the 12-incher for everybody wants to rule the world, the solo not on the single

But I can't find it so how about

Sabre Dance Dave Edmunds live in Spain

Forum List

Back