Trickiest drumming youve ever seen?

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
There are a lot of great drummers out there. Neil Peart is an easy go-to name. He plays technical stuff. He is legendary for it. That said, I dont think ive ever seen someone play a more difficult thing than this. This is Danny Carey from Tool.

Danny is playing what's called a "polyrhythm", which is playing two or more beats in different rhythms simultaneously. In this case its 4 different rhythms. One foot has the high hat on its own rhythm, the base drum on its own rhythm, and each hand on their own rhythm. You would get lost quickly even if you were just trying to do the hands part. Most brains just cant process it, but he does it with ease and he gets a super cool tribal sound as a result.

Just click play. It goes right to the spot im talking about.

Last edited:
Mike Mangini of Dream Theater is another great drummer.

Everyone in that band is an elite musician. Its probably the most musically talented band of all time. They arent my favorite style wise, but their technique is flawless and its a masterclass of musicianship in every song.

Oddly, i literally posted a thread earlier today about what im calling "the greatest guitar solo of all time". Its Dream Theatre covering "Stargazer".

Check out this solo. Tell me what you think.

If I take the thread title literally, the trickiest I've ever seen may be Rod Morgenstein and the Dregs, formerly Dixie Dregs. I saw this 'Unsung Heroes' tour at the Agora Ballroom, across from the Fox Theater, when I lived in Atlanta in the early 1980s. This band is so damn tight!

And a nice little drum solo in this all-time kickass song. Turn it up to 11, boys!!!

Everyone in that band is an elite musician. Its probably the most musically talented band of all time. They arent my favorite style wise, but their technique is flawless and its a masterclass of musicianship in every song.

Oddly, i literally posted a thread earlier today about what im calling "the greatest guitar solo of all time". Its Dream Theatre covering "Stargazer".

Check out this solo. Tell me what you think.

Yes, it is a great solo, but like you said not my favorite as far as style.

I am drawn to Mangini though because I have done a little drumming in my time. Always been a fan of the drums.

One of my favorites, although probably not considered very technical is Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden.

If I take the thread title literally, the trickiest I've ever seen may be Rod Morgenstein and the Dregs, formerly Dixie Dregs. I saw this 'Unsung Heroes' tour at the Agora Ballroom, across from the Fox Theater, when I lived in Atlanta in the early 1980s. This band is so damn tight!

And a nice little drum solo in this all-time kickass song. Turn it up to 11, boys!!!

That music is sooo fucking weird, but i really do appreciate it. I see what theyre doing. They are transitioning through many genres of music in one song and im assuming they are constantly switching instruments on stage. They were quite good at their instruments for that time period.

Last edited:
There are a lot of great drummers out there. Neil Peart is an easy go-to name. He plays technical stuff. He is legendary for it. That said, I dont think ive ever seen someone play a more difficult thing than this. This is Danny Carey from Tool.

Danny is playing what's called a "polyrhythm", which is playing two or more beats in different rhythms simultaneously. In this case its 4 different rhythms. One foot has the high hat on its own rhythm, the base drum on its own rhythm, and each hand on their own rhythm. You would get lost quickly even if you were just trying to do the hands part. Most brains just cant process it, but he does it with ease and he gets a super cool tribal sound as a result.

Bloody impressive!

But I also saw the 'Point of Know Return' tour from Kansas.

I cued up 'The Spider' here:

Brilliant drummer (Phil Ehert), brilliant band. And the best singer in rock, Steve Walsh, in my opinion.

I cued up 'Paradox' here:

As a former musician, when I think solid drum performances.. "John the Fisherman" by Primus comes to mind. It's just aggressive amidst the off-set guitar chords throughout. It never gets lagging from the sin of a predictable beat line.

But I also saw the 'Point of Know Return' tour from Kansas.

I cued up 'The Spider' here:

Brilliant drummer (Phil Ehert), brilliant band. And the best singer in rock, Steve Walsh, in my opinion.

I cued up 'Paradox' here:

Back in the day when bands had their own sound. Its all formulaic now.

As a former musician, when I think solid drum performances.. "John the Fisherman" by Primus comes to mind. It's just aggressive amidst the off-set guitar chords throughout. It never gets lagging from the sin of a predictable beat line.

If youre going to keep up with Les Claypool, you have be one hell of a drummer.

If youre going to keep up with Les Claypool, you have be one hell of a drummer.
Again.. as a former musician (and I'm not throwing that around in some egotistical fashion, in this instance it's out of suprise as far as drum work).... listen to Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand miles".... I initially remembered the song and thought of it as just a cheesy piano/pop star song.. but the drummer is legendary. I'll post a great version live... it's what makes an average pop song a drumming marvel. It keeps you guessing the entire time if you pay attention to the drummer's selections.

Forum List

Back