Greatest guitar solo of all time

You have zero knowledge of guitar if you think that. You just liked some Clapton songs and you heard people claim he was awesome for decades. That isnt proof of his ability. Every generation is better than the last. This goes for all sports, and musical instruments, dancers, actors, etc. Every generation is better than the last because, they learn from the previous generation and then improve on it.

Here is a great example for you, if you care to actually engage. Here is Jimmy Hendrix playing Voodoo Chile...

Now listen to the kid that Hendrix inspired to become even better at it...

The difference between those two performances is STAGGERING. SRV doesnt fuck up a single note, his string bends are WAAAAAYYYY the fuck more accurate and he just generally plays cleaner all around. His technique is flawless and not only that, he is improvising the entire performance. He has never played any song the same way twice. He always improvises on the spot.

I have no intention of arguing against SRV. He was one of the greats. But you were not there when Hendrix hit the scene, so you have no idea as to his impact. I was there and can speak from experience, not some shit I saw on YouTube.

Well, I disagree.
Name one thing that Clapton can play, that no other guitarist can play. I guarantee you that Nuno Bettencourt can play any lick Clapton has ever recorded, but there isnt a chance in hell that Clapton could reproduce this...

Its just a 1 minute video...

That is absolutely perfect timing, live, and at a speed that Clapton could never match.

Last edited:
I have no intention of arguing against SRV. He was one of the greats. But you were not there when Hendrix hit the scene, so you have no idea as to his impact. I was there and can speak from experience, not some shit I saw on YouTube.
No, im very well aware of his impact on music. It was massive. It helped form later rock music to some degree. That isnt the debate though. The debate is about who is the greatest of all time, and it isnt a single soul from before the 80's.

Name one thing that Clapton can play, that no other guitarist can play. I guarantee you that Nuno Bettencourt can play any lick Clapton has ever recorded, but there isnt a chance in hell that Clapton could reproduce this...

That is absolutely perfect timing, live, and at a speed that Clapton could never match.

I can see Clapton, but I don't see your boy!

The one thing that Clapton can play better than anyone on the planet is the music that comes from his heart.

Clapton is at the top of almost every one of those lists, but thats because they are controlled by old dudes who are nostalgic. They also are factoring many things into the equation, including impact on music. That isnt the debate in this thread though. This debate is about who is technically the best guitar player. Fame and influence is not a factor.

The truth is, the greatest guitar players of all time werent well known. They were music nerds who couldnt perform on stage like rockstars, so they never became famous. There are guitar geniuses who graduate from Berkley every year that you never hear about.

This debate is about who is technically the best guitar player.
Then you can delete every name on your list and fill it with classical guitar players you have probably never heard of.

Here is a few minutes of stuff Nuno Betancourt could not do on his best day:

Clapton is at the top of almost every one of those lists, but thats because they are controlled by old dudes who are nostalgic. They also are factoring many things into the equation, including impact on music. That isnt the debate in this thread though. This debate is about who is technically the best guitar player. Fame and influence is not a factor.

The truth is, the greatest guitar players of all time werent well known. They were music nerds who couldnt perform on stage like rockstars, so they never became famous. There are guitar geniuses who graduate from Berkley every year that you never hear about.
Are calling Jimi Hendrix a music nerd? A man who fucked his guitar on stage?

Are calling Jimi Hendrix a music nerd? A man who fucked his guitar on stage?
No, he is one of the exceptions that wasnt a nerd, had charisma and was "able to perform on stage like a rock star". Hong Choi from China with his bowl haircut and no personality never made it to the stage at Woodstock because, he was a fucking nerd, but he was a better guitar player (even though im making up Hong Choi). The point is, there are probably 99 music nerd guitar players for every 1 rockstar with charisma, so the odds of the 1% guy with charisma being the best is slim as fuck. He is probably very far down the list.

No, he is one of the exceptions that wasnt a nerd, had charisma and was "able to perform on stage like a rock star". Hong Choi from China with his bowl haircut and no personality never made it to the stage at Woodstock because, he was a fucking nerd, but he was a better guitar player (even though im making up Hong Choi). The point is, there are probably 99 music nerd guitar players for every 1 rockstar with charisma, so the odds of the 1% guy with charisma being the best is slim as fuck. He is probably very far down the list.
Are you going to tell me Claptons solo on Crossroads sucked?

Are you going to tell me Claptons solo on Crossroads sucked?
No, Clapton can play very well. He was one of the greats of his time, and blues is a really cool style to master, so he gets points for that. He was also a pretty good singer, and a great song writer. He was a rare complete package. A true talent in the music industry.

No, Clapton can play very well. He was one of the greats of his time, and blues is a really cool style to master, so he gets points for that. He was also a pretty good singer, and a great song writer. He was a rare complete package. A true talent in the music industry.
Thank you.

This is a bold statement, but i discovered today what i think might be the greatest guitar solo ever. This is Dream Theatres cover of Dio's masterpiece called "Stargazer". I conveniently set up the video to start right at the solo for you all.

Who can show me a cooler solo than this?

Matter of taste I guess. This is more my preference :)

I know there are great guitarists today. I am a victim of my generation. Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Duane Allman, etc..

Those are my guys!

Oh, don't forget Angus Young!

Matter of taste I guess. This is more my preference :)

Its kind of a matter of taste, within reason. Your favorite guitarist might be Stephen Jones from the Sex Pistols, but he isnt "the greatest". :laugh:

That said, I am a massive fan of Roy Clark. I keep saying that no guitar player before the 80's can even be in this discussion, but Roy Clark always lingers in the back of my mind when i say it. He is the only possible exception to my rule. He was just a freak with stringed instruments. His speed was unreal.

Last edited:
I know there are great guitarists today. I am a victim of my generation. Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Duane Allman, etc..

Those are my guys!

Oh, don't forget Angus Young!
Ever seen this before? He did it live on the Odd Couple.

Its kind of a matter of taste, within reason. Your favorite guitarist might be Stephen Jones from the Sex Pistols, but he isnt "the greatest". :laugh:

That said, I am a massive fan of Roy Clark. I keep saying that no guitar player before the 80's can even be in this discussion, but Roy Clark always lingers in the back of my mind when i say it. He is the only possible exception to my rule. He was just a freak with stringed instruments. His speed was unreal.
Glen Campbell is among the top 10 too:

Forum List

Back