Freedom of Speech Trampled on in Colorado School

War, democracy, taxes (what they are, when they're high/low, but the fundamentals of how taxation actually works was far beyond me), fundamental rights. Those are pretty basic concepts that are taught in some social studies classes.

I never said I had a good perspective on the issues, I said I understood some of them. I don't think a lot of 18 year olds have decent perspective, because most are just now leaving their parents' home and getting out on their own. Yet they are allowed to vote.

There have been 11 year olds who have started college, and who grasp complex thought better than most Presidents. I read about an 11 year old boy who had already received a college degree and was trying to enter graduate school. It happens. Doesn't mean the common 10 or 11 year old is that smart, but it doesn't mean you have to be a genius to have an opinion on basic political principles.

Maybe the kid is a gun-owner and didn't like being called bitter. Who knows?

Your pot-shot at Arkansas was nice, though. Another example of your being a dick for no reason towards me.

Sorry for being a dick but seriously, you said some kids are smarter than adults and yes there are super wiz kids out there but the parents of super whiz kids would not let their kid wear that t-shirt because those parents are smarter than that and have better judgment than was showed by the parents of that kid.

Well that was my point Jillian, Its not normal that most kids that age would be into politics so thinking this kid was expressing his own feelings seems a bit of a stretch. My best friend was a national merit scholar and went to Princeton but he never talked about politics, I think you were an exception to the rule and so was Jsanders.

Might be... I think I agree, though, that most kids *get* certain basic concepts....but some kids do have more of an interest than others. Just because your friend is brilliant doesn't mean he's a politics junkie... that hasn't ever changed for me... I'm still an addict when it comes to that as are a lot of the people around me... mostly at work, not in my personal life, necessarily.

If he disobeyed instructions from the school staff he should be suspended for insubordination. You don't defy authority by rote just because you disagree with it's immediate effects; there are forms of recourse to address grievances and his obligation was to respect authority both by obedience to the instructions given and by respecting the institutions created to allow him to air his complaints.

You may think the cop was wrong giving you a ticket but you shit on every other cop and the courts who could relieve you of that ticket if you tear it up and throw it at him.

If he disobeyed instructions from the school staff he should be suspended for insubordination. You don't defy authority by rote just because you disagree with it's immediate effects; there are forms of recourse to address grievances and his obligation was to respect authority both by obedience to the instructions given and by respecting the institutions created to allow him to air his complaints.

You may think the cop was wrong giving you a ticket but you shit on every other cop and the courts who could relieve you of that ticket if you tear it up and throw it at him.

You also get another ticket for littering. :)

I agree with you.

Oh your gifted, ok that changes everything. I'm not buying what your selling, but I'm glad your gifted, what do you do for a living since you are so gifted?

Manage and repair computer systems for the Army and getting my masters in political science. What are you up too these days?

I'm sorry, but the shirt is stating a fact. Obama is friends with William Ayers....bottom line. I know you haven't heard this in the liberal media but look it up.

Maybe the kid should have worn a shirt that said my Dad pays more taxes than your Dad so my Dad is more patriotic... according to Biden anyways.

I don't think anyone on either side thinks Obama and Ayers are "best friends".

The T-shirt can have different meanings. Maybe the kid doesn't think Obama will keep the US safe from terrorists.
Cops don't give tickets for T-shirts that communicate opinions.

I don't know if it's about being gifted, but it is about interest. I participated in my first political campaign at about 12. It's also about being a participant... and I always went to vote with my parents...and they would talk to me about issues. My son goes to vote with us and has always shown interest in political issues, though probably not to the extent that I did at his age.

However, I DO think that someone telling their child that someone who believes differently is a "terrorist" is pretty disgusting.

Hey Jillian, me too. Were you brought up with the same political beliefs you have now?

My dad was a voting delegate to the Indiana Republican Party, and I'd say I'm a bit on the other side of that. ;) (Tho I swear no loyalty to any party, but to the candidate that I believe best will save our country)

I too, have taken my daughter with me every time I vote, including the local primary voting.

{Don't you know people like this kids dad though? It's sad for the child, because he won't be allowed to think for himself until he moves out of the house, and by then it may be too late for him, he could end up just like his dad.}

This is what happens when you disrespect the libbies' God. In fact you shouldn't even look at Comrade Obama. He's royalty.

Personally I think the t-shirt is hysterical and 100% accurate.

photo_servlet

AURORA (MyFOXColorado.com) - An 11-year-old in Aurora says his first amendment rights are being trampled after he was suspended for wearing a homemade shirt that reads "Obama is a terrorist's best friend."

The fifth grader at Aurora Frontier K-8 School wore it on a day when students were asked to wear red, white and blue to show their patriotism.

The boy's father Dann Dalton describes himself as a "proud conservative" who has taken part in some controversial anti-abortion protests. Dalton says the school made a major mistake by suspending his son for wearing the shirt.

"It's the public school system," Dalton says. "Let's be honest, it's full of liberal loons."

According the the boy's father, the school district told the student, Daxx Dalton, that he had the choice of changing his shirt, turning his shirt inside out or being suspended.

Daxx chose suspension.

"They're taking away my right of freedom of speech," he says. "If I have the right to wear this shirt I'm going to use it. And if the only way to use it is get suspended, then I'm going to get suspended."

Daxx's dad agrees with him and is encouraging his son to stand his ground. "The facts are his rights were violated. Period."

Aurora Public Schools would not talk about the case but said the district "Respects a student's right to free speech, such as the right to wear specific clothing," but administrators say they review any situation that interrupts the learning environment.

Paperwork submitted by the school district says Daxx Dalton was not suspended for wearing the shirt, but for willful disobedience and defiance.

The boy's father says he intends to pursue a lawsuit against the district.

MyFox Colorado | 5th Grader Suspended For Anti-Obama Shirt

There was a child at my youngest school today wearing an Obama shirt. I wonder how it would go over if I sent one of mine in with a McCain shirt?

{Don't you know people like this kids dad though? It's sad for the child, because he won't be allowed to think for himself until he moves out of the house, and by then it may be too late for him, he could end up just like his dad.}

And do you think the kid wearing an Obama shirt at my kids school is the same? Both sides have the same issue.

And do you think the kid wearing an Obama shirt at my kids school is the same? Both sides have the same issue.

Angel, I wasn't talking about that part. I was talking about the word "Terrorist" written on the shirt. I thought that was understood.

Who cares if a kid has a McCain or an Obama or a Ralph Nadar shirt on, as long as it doesn't say anything offensive like the word "terrorist."

It just seems to me that boy's dad may have some closed-minded views to allow his son to have that on his shirt, but that's just my take.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back