The University of Southern California cancels its Muslim valedictorian’s commencement speech

Lord-Humungus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2023
What was supposed to be a time of celebration for Asna Tabassum – the University of Southern California’s 2024 valedictorian – has turned to disappointment after the university denied her the chance to give a speech at commencement over security concerns.
“To be clear: this decision has nothing to do with freedom of speech,” said the provost, Guzman. “There is no free-speech entitlement to speak at a commencement. The issue here is how best to maintain campus security and safety, period.”

“While this is disappointing,” he noted, “tradition must give way to safety.”
Its a lot sad we love in a time when a young lady is unable to give a commencement speech because of the threats of violence. I understand the need to maintain student and spectator safety, however we should be a society that can hear opinions contrary from our own without resorting to harming people.

Its a lot sad we love in a time when a young lady is unable to give a commencement speech because of the threats of violence. I understand the need to maintain student and spectator safety, however we should be a society that can hear opinions contrary from our own without resorting to harming people.

The university is not obligated to give her a platform for her anti-Semitic hate speech.

Those who hold their convictions strongly would not consider it petty.

Then set up an event for said convictions to be broadcast, not hijack an event designed as a celebration of completion of years of study. A celebration that she might be leading, but not running.

Then set up an event for said convictions to be broadcast, not hijack an event designed as a celebration of completion of years of study. A celebration that she might be leading, but not running.
They have those events and people bitch about that also.

They have those events and people bitch about that also.

Do you mean "Events" or "blocking traffic, shutting down other people's events, or screaming at people on their own property"?

Because most of the bitching I see from the right is about the latter, not the former.

Lib loons chased Riley Gaines into a classroom and held her there for 3 hours when she tried to speak

Forum List

Back