Freedom of Speech Trampled on in Colorado School

Hey, my sister knew it.

High school teachers should probably have a smattering.

I think it was Non carborundum illegitimus est.

Yellow shirt, black velvet lettering.

092308_obamashirt.jpg

Daxx Dalton, a fifth grader at Aurora Frontier K-8 School in Aurora, Colo., wore the homemade shirt on a day when students were asked to show their patriotism by wearing red, white and blue, according to MyFOXColorado.com.

When he was given the choice of turning the shirt inside out or being suspended, Dalton chose suspension.

Yeah, school officials don't have much of a sense of humor when you wear something provocative that's likely to cause disruption when they're trying to make someting 'fun' and 'uniting' happen like "let's get all the kids to wear red white and blue."

I'm sure there was some partisan sentiment among some of the staff, too, but the school wasn't out of bounds here.

I'm sorry, but the shirt is stating a fact. Obama is friends with William Ayers....bottom line. I know you haven't heard this in the liberal media but look it up.

Maybe the kid should have worn a shirt that said my Dad pays more taxes than your Dad so my Dad is more patriotic... according to Biden anyways.

I think a unform policy should be the standard for schools...excepting college, of course. It solves a lot of problems for the staff and students alike.

The public schools here don't require a uniform but they do have a dress code which includes no logo t-shirts of an adult, controversial, divisive nature... no beer, no politics, no smut, etc. The principal of the school has final interpretation and the student is provided with an oversized t-shirt with the school's logo on it to wear for the day. The student returns the school t-shirt at the end of the day and gets his shirt back. The kids thought it was a badge of honor at first. Being forced to wear a school shirt told everyone they'd been a bad ass. But, shortly, they got tired of wearing a baggy shirt and decided compliance was a better choice.

This all came about when a 6th grader came to school wearing a shirt that read: "Do I look like I give a fuck?"

I'm sorry, but the shirt is stating a fact. Obama is friends with William Ayers....bottom line. I know you haven't heard this in the liberal media but look it up.

Maybe the kid should have worn a shirt that said my Dad pays more taxes than your Dad so my Dad is more patriotic... according to Biden anyways.

so now they are BFF? :cuckoo:

the kid was given three choices...change the shirt, turn it inside out or get suspended...he picked the suspension... his fault and his stupid ass dad's fault for not being a better parent than that.

Wear the t-shirt in your free time....fine by me... but you can't wear shit like that to school.

My son got in trouble at school for drawing a pentagram on his notebook.

*yawn*

see, now THAT would piss me off!

It's amazing how much the Cons whine about EVERYTHING!

I'd love to see this dad's lawsuit... perhaps he should read the student code of conduct next time.

My son got in trouble at school for drawing a pentagram on his notebook.

*yawn*

I hope you explained to him that pentagrams, like tattoos, should only be etched in areas where the public can't see them.

Otherwise, people will make assumptions about his character.

Then make him write an essay about the importance of avoiding negative attention. That's what I did with my boy whenever he did something ridiculous. 500-1000 word essays. For me that would have beena breeze, but he hated writing.

I hope you explained to him that pentagrams, like tattoos, should only be etched in areas where the public can't see them.

Then make him write an essay about the importance of avoiding negative attention. That's what I did with my boy whenever he did something ridiculous. 500-1000 word essays. For me that would have beena breeze, but he hated writing.

I bet your kids secretly hate you Allie...or not so secretly perhaps.

well it was a long time ago. And who knows who the hell distributed them. Probably some drop out, lol.

I still say school uniforms are the way to go. We don't require them at our school, but I went that route for my daughter. I got her two pleated skirts, one plaid and one navy, 4 white shirts, long sleeve peasant style and short sleeve tux fronts, knee high socks, a navy jacket and khaki scooters and it all cost under $100. She's set.

Of course she gets to wear jeans when she wants, since we don't have a dress code, and we are in the wild west. But it's nice, she always looks good, everything matches, it's all washable, it's warm, and none of her clothes say anything like "hottie" or "daddy's girl" or "Bratz" on them. Well, at least not the ones she wears to school. We don't do slogans.

The boy is still in preschool. He wears garanimals. They have truck slogans on them, or sports slogans, but they're just mild little boy stuff.

It's great because even at 6 years old, the girl and I were fighting every morning over what she wanted to wear to school. She wanted to wear purple velvet, sequins, Bratz and Barbie strappy clothes, platform shoes, her princess costume. Now we have the uniforms she knows those are the school clothes and it cuts our morning routing in half and we no longer have huge arguments over why it's not appropriate to wear her nightgown to school.

I told him he knew the rules, and to take the school's punishment like a man.

I bet your kids secretly hate you Allie...or not so secretly perhaps.

No, they love me. I just spent the weekend with that son, he's grown with his own little girl. He's wonderful with kids, including my younger ones, and we have a great time together.

I always told him if he wanted tats and to be obviously anti-establishment he could do it as an adult, but I wasn't going to stand by and watch him burn bridges when he was under my care. And he didn't. He did pierce his ears, but that wasn't a big deal.

The other boy has tats on his wrists, I think it's Chinese lettering, I don't know exactly. They're pretty. He didn't get them until he was grown. He loves me, too, I just talked to him the other night. He's in Tennessee.

Forum List

Back