Why would a God even need a hell?

I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.
I guess you just can't understand free-will.

I have asked myself why a God would need a hell, ( and by hell I mean the Christian version of it). I mean here this great being of life and love , is said to have created a place of eternal misery? And something is just not right with that, because it makes no sense at all. But a lot of things in religion make no sense, but religion rains on humanity, getting all of our consciousness wet in one manner or another.

My view of God, and I don't know God, have never seen him or heard his voice; is a view that I know is already distorted by many things; but I view him as merciful, loving, kind, forgiving, longsuffering, all the things that this Christian hell is not. So I don't think this hell is God's creation, I think the Christians created it. I think this eternal hell punishing is what Christians would do with unbelievers, not God. I think its moreso what the Christians want.

Why would God make an eternal monument out of evil? For what? Why would such a being of great power of change, co-exist with misery forever? Why? I can't see it. I think something is seriously wrong with this myopic view of hell! The powers that exist which can seduce the consciousness of humanity into believing nonsense, is simply stunning.

Free will is just another Christian illusion ; a well done one at that.

So then you are a fatalist?

Free will isn't an illusion. You could choose to murder someone if you wanted to. That's really up to you.
It's your choice to steal or not to steal.
It's your choice to run people over with your car or not to.
That has nothing to do with being a Christian. Everyone has that choice.

Free will isn't an illusion. You could choose to murder someone if you wanted to. That's really up to you.

Yet to freely make such choices, one has to be free of outside influences. Explain that please.

Yet to freely make such choices, one has to be free of outside influences. Explain that please.
One does not have to be free of outside influences. Every creature on Earth has outside influences. They have to deal with the need to eat and sleep. That's all part of being alive. I guess if you weren't alive you wouldn't have to deal with any influences.

You have the freedom to follow the law or not. If you want to live like an animal you can. You have only yourself to blame for choosing to do so. People who do not live in a free society don't have the same choice. Having rules is what keeps any society from becoming anarchy, thus it has nothing to do with what religion you choose to practice.

You seem to think in only black or white. You also must think you're smart because you ask questions some idiot taught you to ask. All you're doing is playing dumb........or are you just playing. Maybe you are dumb. Asking an illogical question in order to be a jerk, and refusing to understand isn't exactly smart.

Last edited:

One does not have to be free of outside influences. That's all part of living in a free society. You have the freedom to follow the law or not. If you want to live like an animal you can. You have only yourself to blame for choosing to do so. People who do not live in a free society don't have the same choice. You seem to think in only black or white. You also must think you're smart because you ask questions some idiot taught you to ask. All you're doing is playing dumb........or are you just playing. Maybe you are dumb.

For a human will to be free, it must be totally unaffected by all outside influences. That is not possible.

One does not have to be free of outside influences. That's all part of living in a free society. You have the freedom to follow the law or not. If you want to live like an animal you can. You have only yourself to blame for choosing to do so. People who do not live in a free society don't have the same choice. You seem to think in only black or white. You also must think you're smart because you ask questions some idiot taught you to ask. All you're doing is playing dumb........or are you just playing. Maybe you are dumb.

For a human will to be free, it must be totally unaffected by all outside influences. That is not possible.

WTF, are you waiting in your mom's basement for somebody to waste their time on you? Get a life.

For a person to be human you have to be alive....thus outside influences control you. If you lived in a total vacuum you couldn't survive. If you lived on the moon you wouldn't last long. There is no such thing as total freedom. There is free will, but the consequences of incorrect decisions is merely an incentive. You still have the right to do the wrong thing.....like drive the wrong way down a one-way street, but you should understand that you won't last long doing so.

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It is exactly the opposite, dumbass. We have to choose the right thing despite outside influence. Where the hell do you think temptations come from.

WTF, are you waiting in your mom's basement for somebody to waste their time on you? Get a life.

For a person to be human you have to be alive....thus outside influences control you. If you lived in a total vacuum you couldn't survive. If you lived on the moon you wouldn't last long. There is no such thing as total freedom. There is free will, but the consequences of incorrect decisions is merely an incentive. You still have the right to do the wrong thing.....like drive the wrong way down a one-way street, but you should understand that you won't last long doing so.

One day in my Mom's basement, I ran across this;

The Lake of Fire - Part 15

An astute explanation of the myth of free will. Free will, the lie that has swept religion.

An astute explanation of the myth of free will. Free will, the lie that has swept religion.

Eternal hell suffering is a stunning lie that Christianity pimps on the world. They shame the salvation of God.

Eternal hell suffering is a stunning lie that Christianity pimps on the world. They shame the salvation of God.

>>Eternal hell suffering is a stunning lie that Christianity pimps on the world. They shame the salvation of God.<<

Jesus said it in Matthew 25:41-46.

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:41-46 - New International Version

I think it's a Biblical prophecy that a lake of fire will be created as will there be a new heaven and new earth. This is where Satan is supposed to go for all eternity. Today, what is a physical representation may be on earth as the fire that still burns in Turkmenistan:

2967061134_91ea2eac7f_b.jpg

Darvasa_gas_crater_panorama.jpg

It's in a bowl like shape similar to that in the fiction epic poem Dante's Paradise Lost.

1131915707-Sandro-Botticelli-Dantes-Inferno-546x360.jpg

The levels of hell as punishment seems to be a concept that fits better than someone being burned and tortured forever. I suspect that kind of punishment came from the ancient Roman Catholics. What does get burned and destroyed forever is one's spiritually perfect self and identity in the lake of fire as punishment and judgment from Jesus.

Thus, I think hell can be an unpleasant place and punishment may go on, but generally I think the spirits there will be in a state of woe.

This is in contrast to that our current lives are all that is and all that there will be. The truth is "You Only Live Twice." This short life is the illusion.

>>Eternal hell suffering is a stunning lie that Christianity pimps on the world. They shame the salvation of God.<<

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I think it's a Biblical prophecy that a lake of fire will be created as will there be a new heaven and new earth. This is where Satan is supposed to go for all eternity. Today, what is a physical representation may be on earth as the fire that still burns in Turkmenistan:

It's in a bowl like shape similar to that in the fiction epic poem Dante's Paradise Lost.

The levels of hell as punishment seems to be a concept that fits better than someone being burned and tortured forever. I suspect that kind of punishment came from the ancient Roman Catholics. What does get burned and destroyed forever is one's spiritually perfect self and identity in the lake of fire as punishment and judgment from Jesus.

Thus, I think hell can be an unpleasant place and punishment may go on, but generally I think the spirits there will be in a state of woe.

This is in contrast to that our current lives are all that is and all that there will be. The truth is "You Only Live Twice." This short life is the illusion.
I think it just makes sense that if there is an eternal reward, there should also be eternal punishment.

God does not "need" hell, and he did not "create" it.

We, the sinners, "created" hell, as our place away from God, blocked off from his overpowering love, which we cannot endure because it pains us.

Many of us are already in hell, here in this life.

I think it just makes sense that if there is an eternal reward, there should also be eternal punishment.

You think it makes sense to hurt people for all eternity?

God help us.

But not your God, the other God of mercy and forgiveness help us. Please, lets just let your god stay in his corner.

God help us.

But not your God, the other God of mercy and forgiveness help us. Please, lets just let your god stay in his corner.

>>You think it makes sense to hurt people for all eternity?<<

LOL. I think it helps if you read my post.

God help us.

>>You think it makes sense to hurt people for all eternity?<<

LOL. I think it helps if you read my post.

Oh I read it. Believe me I read all posts on my threads.

I do not believe that God would punish humans by placing them in pain for an endless eternity; that would be insane and utter madness! That would be a sure sign of demented use of power.

God is not perverted or unstable.

Man is.

You're right Mickel. It seems that a lot of these "good Christians" take an inordinate amount of delight in consigning their fellow humans to hell for not believing as they do.

Screwed up thing is, there can be different denominations that use the same book (KJV Bible), but interpret it differently, and end up denouncing each other, even though they believe in the same God and use the same book.

/----- Well you have to put Commies and Progressives somewhere when they croak.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back