Zone1 Who Is Destroying The World?

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
"When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good.

Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral.

Do not expect them to produce , when production is punished and looting rewarded.

Do not ask, “Who is destroying the world?” You are."

-- Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

Rand saw the world in black and white. There was only good/moral/producers or evil/immoral/looters. I have never met anyone who is either good or evil, everyone has elements of both to different degrees.
1661526047896.png

Address the one first and I will answer.
Hitler certainly did many evil things in my estimation but not in his. He loved his people and his dog. Many still love him.

If you do evil things for good reasons, are you evil? Does the end justify the means?

Hitler certainly did many evil things in my estimation but not in his. He loved his people and his dog. Many still love him.

If you do evil things for good reasons, are you evil? Does the end justify the means?
I suppose you first have to define evil.

For example, if you believe that climate change is caused by such a huge population in the world and think that it is destroying the earth, is it good to implement ways to depopulate that world, no matter how horrible they are and no matter how the rights of human being may be infringed upon by doing so?

For the Climate Cultist, the answer is?

What do you think they would say?

I suppose you first have to define evil.
Did Rand ever bother to do that?

For example, if you believe that climate change is caused by such a huge population in the world and think that it is destroying the earth, is it good to implement ways to depopulate that world, no matter how horrible they are and no matter how the rights of human being may be infringed upon by doing so?

For the Climate Cultist, the answer is?

What do you think they would say?
What do I think they would say? I'd bet every answer would be different so good luck drawing a box around the 'evil' answers.

What do I think they would say? I'd bet every answer would be different so good luck drawing a box around the 'evil' answers.
Rand had zero compassion for those in need.

That in my view is evil.

But that does not preclude her from being wrong about her statement and many of her views about government.

Perhaps, but how is that quote of hers wrong?
The post was responding to the question in the thread title. There is no response possible for the works of Ms Rand. Any such automatically finds one categorized for life as being either "left" or "right". Who would want that?

"The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics—the standard by which one judges what is good or evil—is man’s life, or: that which is required for man’s survival qua man.

Since reason is man’s basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."

-- Ayn Rand (The Virtue of Selfishness)

"The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics—the standard by which one judges what is good or evil—is man’s life, or: that which is required for man’s survival qua man.

Since reason is man’s basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."

-- Ayn Rand (The Virtue of Selfishness)
What a load of crap! Hardly surprising coming from Rand. If survival means killing your rivals that is good? I guess Hitler was good then.

If survival means killing your rivals that is good?

It might be entertaining to see how you derived that out of Rand's quote. Irrationality always has entertainment value.

But, it wouldn't be conducive to others who might be attempting to actually discuss the quote.

It might be entertaining to see how you derived that out of Rand's quote. Irrationality always has entertainment value.

But, it wouldn't be conducive to others who might be attempting to actually discuss the quote.
Happy to provide some entertainment: that which is required for man’s survival I took to be good in Rand's view. Therefore, whatever a thinking/rational man does to survive is good. Hitler tried to do that for a whole nation in opposition to lesser nations, ergo, he was a good man.

Forum List

Back