What would you do?

TAS

Apr 20, 2007
Middle East
Hi or Salam
What would you do if you woke-up one morning and found that your freedom and liberty were taken away from you? That you are not free anymore? What would you do?

Hi or Salam
What would you do if you woke-up one morning and found that your freedom and liberty were taken away from you? That you are not free anymore? What would you do?

Well, Muslim-Arab Guy Living In The Middle-East... What did you do?

I will tell you later....so what would you do?

Are you intending to make an attempt at removing my freedom? If so, could you start by moving the cat? She's kinda heavy.

Well, yes, hypothetically.

Is it on the way? Sure, I love cats and dogs even heavy ones. :)

...so what would you do?

Rather than coming in with the same, identical loaded question, which has been asked many, many times as a first post by new users since 9/11, why not post your point in it's entirety, and let people comment from there?

Hi or Salam

That's a hard question to answer. If or when it happens to me, I'll let you know.

Rather than coming in with the same, identical loaded question, which has been asked many, many times as a first post by new users since 9/11, why not post your point in it's entirety, and let people comment from there?

Good point.
I thought about it and I am going to tell you my point. But I want you to feel what it means for a human to lose his freedom first.

Good point.
I thought about it and I am going to tell you my point. But I want you to feel what it means for a human to lose his freedom first.

I shall sit here patiently awaiting your bounty of information.

You know, I'd like to think that I would seek out like minded people and form an organized resistance, attempt to regain what we had lost. This would be most effective if the freedoms and liberties are taken away suddenly, all at once. The shock of this loss would, I believe, stir people to action

The truth is, if we were to lose freedoms and liberties, our rights in the U.S., it would be so gradual few would notice, and those who spoke out would be ignored as crackpots. By the time people started to pay attention, it would be too late.

I shall sit here patiently awaiting your bounty of information.

I don't have a "bounty of information". I don't have a correct answer.
What I am proposing is a debate about what a person would do under extreme circumstances: living under dictatorship, no rights, no freedoms, police state, systematic torture, poverty, corruption, etc.
What would be right and what would be wrong? What is moral and ethical and what is not? That's why I chose to post the question under the "Religion and Ethics" forum rather than the "Current Affairs" one.

Shattered, If you like to share, please do. If not, that's ok. You don't have to.

I don't have a "bounty of information". I don't have a correct answer.
What I am proposing is a debate about what a person would do under extreme circumstances: living under dictatorship, no rights, no freedoms, police state, systematic torture, poverty, corruption, etc.
What would be right and what would be wrong? What is moral and ethical and what is not? That's why I chose to post the question under the "Religion and Ethics" forum rather than the "Current Affairs" one.

Shattered, If you like to share, please do. If not, that's ok. You don't have to.

Well, then perhaps you would care to clarify this portion of one of your previous statements:
But I want you to feel what it means for a human to lose his freedom first.

How do you intent to subject people here to "feeling" what it means for a "human to lose his freedom first"?

You know, I'd like to think that I would seek out like minded people and form an organized resistance, attempt to regain what we had lost. This would be most effective if the freedoms and liberties are taken away suddenly, all at once. The shock of this loss would, I believe, stir people to action

The truth is, if we were to lose freedoms and liberties, our rights in the U.S., it would be so gradual few would notice, and those who spoke out would be ignored as crackpots. By the time people started to pay attention, it would be too late.

I agree with you. If a people's freedoms and liberties would be taken away, it would be gradual and convincing and reasonable. It won't be sudden and shocking.

But what if it happens? And later, all the lies become exposed, all the people become aware of what is going on. What would happen then? What shall they do? Is it too late? Is it over?!

I agree with you. If a people's freedoms and liberties would be taken away, it would be gradual and convincing and reasonable. It won't be sudden and shocking.

But what if it happens? And later, all the lies become exposed, all the people become aware of what is going on. What would happen then? What shall they do? Is it too late? Is it over?!

Have you read much of George Orwell's works? I ask because during the 1930s and the 1940s he was writing about the very questions you're asking.

Have you read much of George Orwell's works? I ask because during the 1930s and the 1940s he was writing about the very questions you're asking.

I only saw the movie "1984". But I think I am going to get some of his work by now as you mention him. You know, because of the distance (geographical, economical, and development distances), you don't get to know a lot about foreign authors and famous books. You are only limited by what is found in your country or region.
Thanks for the tip :)

I only saw the movie "1984". But I think I am going to get some of his work by now as you mention him. You know, because of the distance (geographical, economical, and development distances), you don't get to know a lot about foreign authors and famous books. You are only limited by what is found in your country or region.
Thanks for the tip :)

You're welcome. Which of the films did you see? Was it the one with John Hurt? That was closest to the dystopia that Orwell was portraying, the earlier one with Edmund O'Brien was a disgusting piece of 1950s anti-Communist propaganda that missed the whole point.

Your point about foreign authors. I'm shockingly Anglo-centric when it comes to literature, but that's what I get for being mono-lingual. Reading translations is good but I know I will always be limited because I don't have a second language in which I can read the originals.

We have, for a example, a lot of posters here who flog France and the French. But while they might have visited France they - like me - will never understand France or the French (I'm using them as an example, any other non-Anglophone country will do) and simply can't put themselves in the shoes of a French person to see the world through another culture's eyes.

TAS, why do I get the feeling this is going to be about the Palestinians and Israelis?

hi muslim-arab guy. Depends on the situation. Where do you live, and who's taking away your freedom?.

To make the best possible decision in any situation, one must have all the facts, as well as all the possible outcomes, good and bad, to any decisions ones makes.

does that make sense?

Forum List

Back