What Does It Mean To Be A Christian?

Many kinds of Christianity. Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant are the 3 main branches. Different denominations will have different ideas about how to be Christian, or how that is expressed. Some simplify things to be simply 'accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour.' Others may have more involved requirements like recitations of faith and the like.

Many kinds of Christianity. Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant are the 3 main branches. Different denominations will have different ideas about how to be Christian, or how that is expressed. Some simplify things to be simply 'accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour.' Others may have more involved requirements like recitations of faith and the like.
Right, I understand that.

So what does it mean to you Brother Delta?

Not Christian. I'm Jewish. Like Yeshua :) Always puzzled me how and why people who believe Yeshua was the Jewish Messiah would not then identify as Jews. What's another religion's Messiah do for you if not a member of it but one mutually exclusive of it?

The meaning for me is very simple...

Christ is my Lord & Savior...

The Spirit is alive in everything I do, all my decisions and actions and thoughts...

I know to forgive and I know I need to give more...

Today I celebrate the gift God gave all of is in the birth of Christ...

From Got Questions Ministries:

Question: "What is a Christian?"

Answer: A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

Unfortunately over time, the word “Christian” has lost a great deal of its significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values but who may or may not be a true follower of Jesus Christ. Many people who do not believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to church or they live in a “Christian” nation. But going to church, serving those less fortunate than you, or being a good person does not make you a Christian. Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile. Being a member of a church, attending services regularly, and giving to the work of the church does not make you a Christian.

The Bible teaches that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 says, “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God (John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) and has put faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that it is “…by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day. John 1:12 tells us, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ.

Read more: What is a Christian?

Being a Christian, is living your life in a Christ-like manner, as much as you can.

If you wonder if what you say, or what you do, is being Christian, just ask yourself if you could see Christ saying that, or doing that?

As an example, if you think it's Christian to support the Iraq war, then ask yourself,
"How would Jesus have bombed Fallujah?"

The answer should be pretty clear after that.

Does it mean that you simply say you're one and that's it?

Or does it mean something more?

If so, then what does it entail?

Merry Christmas!

You can't understand what being a Christian is without blood atonement.
In the old testament, people laid hands on the head of an animal and transferred their sins as it was slaughtered. They felt the animal die.

Being born again means second birth or being born from above because just like you cannot birth yourself the first time, you cannot birth yourself the second time. The distinction is that you cannot join this church; you have to be born into it.

Just as the serpent in the wilderness was lifted up, those who were bitten by deadly serpents were told to look at the serpent on the pole and if they stopped fighting with Moses they would live. Just as the serpent was lifted up, Jesus was lifted up.

It is by trusting in Jesus that our salvation is grace through faith plus nothing (Ephesians 2:8-9).

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

All the repentance you need is in that word "believe" because when you believe in Jesus (God), you turn away from the other direction you are headed.

John 5:24 ¶ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Read the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15 and believe. It will be the best Christmas present you can give to yourself and God by receiving eternal life.

1 Corinthians 15 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

Not Christian. I'm Jewish. Like Yeshua :) Always puzzled me how and why people who believe Yeshua was the Jewish Messiah would not then identify as Jews. What's another religion's Messiah do for you if not a member of it but one mutually exclusive of it?
I know, you've stated you're Jewish previously.

In your mind, what does a Christian mean to you?

What identifies them from your understanding?

From Got Questions Ministries:

Question: "What is a Christian?"

Answer: A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

Unfortunately over time, the word “Christian” has lost a great deal of its significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values but who may or may not be a true follower of Jesus Christ. Many people who do not believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to church or they live in a “Christian” nation. But going to church, serving those less fortunate than you, or being a good person does not make you a Christian. Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile. Being a member of a church, attending services regularly, and giving to the work of the church does not make you a Christian.

The Bible teaches that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God. Titus 3:5 says, “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God (John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) and has put faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that it is “…by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day. John 1:12 tells us, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ.

Read more: What is a Christian?
WoW!! Amen Brother Willie. Preach!!!

Being a Christian, is living your life in a Christ-like manner, as much as you can.

If you wonder if what you say, or what you do, is being Christian, just ask yourself if you could see Christ saying that, or doing that?

As an example, if you think it's Christian to support the Iraq war, then ask yourself,
"How would Jesus have bombed Fallujah?"

The answer should be pretty clear after that.
Amen!

To be a Christian means you were totally deceived by people who stole the written and spoken words that us saints testify to and use them for your own selfish to control others with your religious dogma and belief in false ideas such as hell, bodily resurrections, false gods ( buildings and altars built with human hands ), church hierarchy, gifts of the spirit ( like speaking in tongues), Eucharist, water baptism ( Jewish tradition to cleanse their sins ), etc.

I think it means seeing the image of God in every human being, no matter their gender, race, social status, origin, sexual orientation or personal flaws. That's an extremely powerful idea and most Christians have not been able to live up to it.

Last edited:

I think it means seeing the image of God in every human being, no matter his gender, race, social status, origin, sexual orientation or personal flaws. That's an extremely powerful idea and most Christians have not been able to live up to it.

Right wing Christians in this country have become the very people Jesus warned us about.

To be Christian means you are a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God and Savior of the World.

To enter the Kingdom of God, you must be born again.

It's in the Gospel of John, chapter 3.

Reading words in a book doesn't make you born again. Our Creator planned for His saints to be born again into our spirit so that He could use us to testify to His hidden knowledge, which is our created existence within His mind.

Christians would believe that you can become Superman by reading Superman comic books.

Forum List

Back