We Have the Right to Assemble and Freedom of Religion - Unlawful Arrest of Preacher

Why should those rights supersede others rights to life?

Mainly because the premise that allowing people to exercise their explicitly-asserted First Amendment rights violates anyone else's right to life is a flat-out lie, and those of you telling it know damn well that you are lying.
Nope, it's not a lie. Congregating in large numbers increasing the spread of COVID-19. Not just among church-goers, but among those with whom they come in contact. That selfishly puts others lives in peril and unfortunately for some, brutally strips away their right to life.

Your pathetically weak excuse fails to justify placing the right to assemble above the right to life.
That is the legal/constitutional justification. There's no social need to ban snake handling, or even peyote use, if it's central to the exercise of religion, because no one besides the faithful are impacted. But the virus WILL WITHOUT ANY QUESTION spread outside of just the people assembling in some religious setting, because the faithful will not remain quarantined inside the locale of the religious setting.

So, if someone want to assert the regulation goes too far in banning the assembly altogether, they have to address how the exponential rise in sick people is not affected.
And in a totally selfish vein, those who continue to disregard the social distancing orders prolong this goddamned shutdown and the ever tightening stay-at-home orders that are completely fucking up our lives.

if all 50 states go into shelter in place mode, scientists are predicting that our best outcome will be 100,000 - 240,000,000 dead. that is the benchmark we hope to meet. but it's not looking like the troglodyte states are jumping on board; so the toll might be higher. i hope & pray (in my house where i know god can hear me) that scientific models have it wrong.

Actually, you got this half assed backwards. The most affected states are cess pools like New York, owned and operated by the Far Left.

Not in so called "troglodyte states".

Libs have disregarded our President's suggestion for citizens to wash their hands, figuring they are "fucking up Trump's program" by their refusals.

tick toc, trog ... tic toc.

It's happening now, Mississippi has the largest COVID-19 hospitalization rate.

Oklahoma and South Carolina round out the top 3.

Mississippi has 1100 cases of Kung Flu. New York has 84000.

BTW, Louisiana is adjacent to Mississippi but is run by a Hardcore leftist, and has more than 5 times as many cases as Mississippi
It has nothing to do with politics. Mississippi doesn't have Mardi Gras.

Actually, it does. So does Alabama, but not on the same scale as in New Orleans.

Mainly because the premise that allowing people to exercise their explicitly-asserted First Amendment rights violates anyone else's right to life is a flat-out lie, and those of you telling it know damn well that you are lying.
Nope, it's not a lie. Congregating in large numbers increasing the spread of COVID-19. Not just among church-goers, but among those with whom they come in contact. That selfishly puts others lives in peril and unfortunately for some, brutally strips away their right to life.

Your pathetically weak excuse fails to justify placing the right to assemble above the right to life.
That is the legal/constitutional justification. There's no social need to ban snake handling, or even peyote use, if it's central to the exercise of religion, because no one besides the faithful are impacted. But the virus WILL WITHOUT ANY QUESTION spread outside of just the people assembling in some religious setting, because the faithful will not remain quarantined inside the locale of the religious setting.

So, if someone want to assert the regulation goes too far in banning the assembly altogether, they have to address how the exponential rise in sick people is not affected.
And in a totally selfish vein, those who continue to disregard the social distancing orders prolong this goddamned shutdown and the ever tightening stay-at-home orders that are completely fucking up our lives.

if all 50 states go into shelter in place mode, scientists are predicting that our best outcome will be 100,000 - 240,000,000 dead. that is the benchmark we hope to meet. but it's not looking like the troglodyte states are jumping on board; so the toll might be higher. i hope & pray (in my house where i know god can hear me) that scientific models have it wrong.

But what about the millions that die afterwards from the Super-Depression that ensues?

You're right. Let's open up for business now. You think the virus is going away and the economy comes screaming back? You're not going to have an economy until this is under control.

If this last for a long time, we still won't have an economy. Right now, a lot of businesses , a lot of people are really struggling. I'm not personally. But those in retail trade, in hospitality, transportation, restaurants, pimpery and prostitution, are all being ruined and reduced to utter destitution.

I get that but you can't have an economy during wildly out of control pandemic. It's just not going to happen so we have no choice but to take care of one issue to a point where it is manageable and then go after the second otherwise neither gets fixed.
Get ready to starve, dumbass. Me? I can eat whatever. You? You're in for a rude awakening.

Looks like some of our government officials haven't read the Constitution.

---Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly---

There are exceptions.

Will they make exceptions for the Radical Muslims in a few weeks when their annual Ramadam bullshit comes down?

Of course the exceptions don't apply to Muslims. Why that would be wacist.

Oh they never do, never. Muslims are brown-skinned, they're "diverse" and wear cool clothing.

That's all it takes for most simpleton Leftists to drool all over them.

Did you actually just sit on this board and post "Muslims are brown-skinned"????

:laughing0301:
thud.gif
:laugh2: :lmao:
shakehead.gif
:auiqs.jpg:
smiliegah.gif

Wait wait --- and then immediately follow that sweeping non sequitur generalization with "they're diverse"??

Holy SHIT that just took over first place for stupidest post in recent memory.
Oh no, I gotta bookmark this shit.Ho

You entirely missed that I'm citing reasons WHY BRAIN-DEAD LEFTIST LOVE MUSLIMS but go ahead Pogo knock yourself out

I don't know anyone who is 'brain dead' but as a 'leftist' I no more love or hate Muslims than I do Christians or Jews.

And I expect Americans- regardless of whether they are Muslim, Jewish or Christian or atheists to follow the law and do what they can to protect everyone.

That's what all the Nazis said at the Nuremburg Trials--they were just "following the law", just following orders

The law, "orders" should be questioned. Does anyone at all remember when so-called liberals weren't mindless drones just following whatever orders are handed down?
How can you possibly compare our social distancing Orders to Nazis who systematically gassed/worked to death millions of people they didn't like?
That's going to far, in my book.

Kind of an understatement, no?
I'm trying not to be arrogant, condescending, annoying and insensitive to others' feelings. And I see I used the wrong too. Gotta run.

They don't care.
You got any more uplifting messages for me? I'm about on the edge of a breakdown as it is.

Hey, sorry about that. I'm on edge too.

I don't have comforting words, I'm worried and that is an understatement. I'm also pissed off, disturbed and disappointed by what I see on this board.
Sorry, Happy Joy. Most of the folks here "get it." A lot of the ones who argue against the principle of being forced to be safe--like Sweet Sue--are actually following social distancing orders.

We'll come through it. ALTHOUGH MY BEAUTICIAN is closed at least until the end of April and that's gonna get ugly.

You want ugly? Half the vape shops in town have shut down completely, and the others have reduced hours and only allow one or two customers in at a time. There are going to be a lot of nicotine-deprived, bad-tempered people running around, and a lot more who go back to tobacco . . . which makes them more vulnerable to coronavirus, plus putting them at risk for cancer.

Here in Pennsylvania they sell juul and other vape crap at Sheetz and other convenience type stores which are open.

Just curious. Are they liquor stores open in Penn?

Closed the state owned brick and mortar liquor stores, but you can buy booze online.

In addition, beer stores are considered life sustaining, and were never closed.

OK, interesting. Well, glad you still have access, I consider it essential for mental health at this point.

But what about the millions that die afterwards from the Super-Depression that ensues?

You're right. Let's open up for business now. You think the virus is going away and the economy comes screaming back? You're not going to have an economy until this is under control.

If this last for a long time, we still won't have an economy. Right now, a lot of businesses , a lot of people are really struggling. I'm not personally. But those in retail trade, in hospitality, transportation, restaurants, pimpery and prostitution, are all being ruined and reduced to utter destitution.
Prostitution will make a rally!

I get that but you can't have an economy during wildly out of control pandemic. It's just not going to happen so we have no choice but to take care of one issue to a point where it is manageable and then go after the second otherwise neither gets fixed.
Get ready to starve, dumbass. Me? I can eat whatever. You? You're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not going hungry anytime soon. I can wait this out for years if need be.

I think the overriding issue is whether , or not, a seasonal health issue of a foreboding nature can set aside other legal and constitutional rights and precedents.
I say no.

Set aside? No. Modify for a temporary period of time? Yes. There's plenty of legal precedence in American jurisprudence.
Modification is not a part of precedents and statues. Massaging to fit ones own personal and emotional perspectives is not permitted for a reason-it’s too variable thus unwise

Last edited:
I think the overriding issue is whether , or not, a seasonal health issue of a foreboding nature can set aside other legal and constitutional rights and precedents.
I say no.
A "seasonal health issue" does not have a potential to kill over a million Americans
Potential worst case stuff is Nothing to shut down a nation over

Suure, buckwheat. With what? No guns? :auiqs.jpg:
I want me some pork to go with the 25 lbs of beans I have.
A gun is the way to make that happen. I know right where coy hogs are, too.

Suure, buckwheat. With what? No guns?

I live in Arizona, who said anything about no guns?

I said the church deliberately provoked a conflict…
No, it was government that provoked this fight, by illegally using a manufactured crisis as an excuse to blatantly violate the Constitution.
The government set a reasonable and lawful restriction, and the church deliberately violated it for their own sense of self-righteousness and desire to feel like a "persecuted minority". I'm neither impressed nor sympathetic.
Whether you believe that government's actions in this case were legal or reasonable or not, the fact remains that it was government, and not this church, that provoked this fight. It was government that tried to shut down this church, and it is government which arrested this pastor for attempting to exercise the rights which the First Amendment explicitly protects, and which the First Amendment explicitly forbids government from violating.

There is nothing anywhere in the Constitution, that even hints at any legitimate power on the part of any portion of government, to cook up a fake crisis such as this, and then use that fake crisis as an excuse to trash the Constitution or any part of it. There is no reason to suppose that the great men who wrote the Constitution would have ever thought of allowing any such thing; indeed, they were certainly aware of the possibility of the sort of abuses we are now seeing, and would have been quite wary of this possibility. It is too bad they didn't think to include provisions in the Constitution specifically calling for severe criminal charges and severe punishments for any corrupt public servant who had any willing part in any such abuses. Perhaps that's what Jefferson was thinking of when he wrote about the need of the Tree of Liberty to be watered regularly.

Once government seizes any power, it does not easily give it up again.
Now, that IS true, and I would not for the world discourage eternal vigilance on this subject or this debate on the topic. For all that I very much disagree with what this church did and with the people defending them, I would be deeply troubled if no one was debating this at all and everyone was just sanguinely accepting the pastor's arrest with no discussion at all.
And yet, you're being awfully careless and casual in defending this instance of government seizing power that no rational person would ever accept as legitimate for them to seize.

If we let government get away with this,then what is to stop them from seizing even more power, either based on this “crisis”, or on some new “crisis” also manufactured for this purpose?

Tyrants really love ignorant, cowardly, compliant sheep such as yourself.

Tyrants come to power on a wave of slogan-shouting emotional hotheads such as yourself.

Call me when you're rational enough to discuss without the speechifying or the kneejerking "Anyone who disagrees with me is automatically THIS! I can just throw out stock insults at anyone and everyone without any thought for who they actually are!"

Take a deep breath, consider for a moment that you just lumped in someone who is your ally on virtually every debate with "ignorant, cowardly, compliant sheep" simply because I expressed a disagreement with you, and then ask yourself if you're REALLY as correct and virtuous as you flatter yourself to be.

What you gonna eat in Arizona? Cactus? Snakes? Gila monsters?
Coyote? Don't eat Ms. Coyote, pls.
Aside from the cannibalism factor, I've grown rather fond over the years. That last unwarranted ban notwithstanding.

PS: eating dogs: :eusa_naughty:

Last edited:
The law is being laid down.....in most states i think…

I remind you that the First Amendment is the law, and that as part of the Constitution—this nation's highest law—it takes precedence over all lesser laws.

I remind you of what I regularly remind leftists: we've gotten in the habit of thinking "my rights, my RIGHTS!" too much in this country, without enough thought to "my responsibilities, my responsibilities".

What you gonna eat in Arizona? Cactus? Snakes?

Arizona has a lot of wild life that's good for hunting, actually. Elk, antelope, javelina, and wild turkeys, among other things.

---Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly---

There are exceptions.

Will they make exceptions for the Radical Muslims in a few weeks when their annual Ramadam bullshit comes down?

Oh they never do, never. Muslims are brown-skinned, they're "diverse" and wear cool clothing.

Did you actually just sit on this board and post "Muslims are brown-skinned"????

thud.gif
shakehead.gif
smiliegah.gif

Wait wait --- and then immediately follow that sweeping non sequitur generalization with "they're diverse"??

You entirely missed that I'm citing reasons WHY BRAIN-DEAD LEFTIST LOVE MUSLIMS but go ahead Pogo knock yourself out

I don't know anyone who is 'brain dead' but as a 'leftist' I no more love or hate Muslims than I do Christians or Jews.

And I expect Americans- regardless of whether they are Muslim, Jewish or Christian or atheists to follow the law and do what they can to protect everyone.

That's what all the Nazis said at the Nuremburg Trials--they were just "following the law", just following orders

The law, "orders" should be questioned. Does anyone at all remember when so-called liberals weren't mindless drones just following whatever orders are handed down?
How can you possibly compare our social distancing Orders to Nazis who systematically gassed/worked to death millions of people they didn't like?

I'm trying not to be arrogant, condescending, annoying and insensitive to others' feelings. And I see I used the wrong too. Gotta run.

They don't care.
You got any more uplifting messages for me? I'm about on the edge of a breakdown as it is.

I don't have comforting words, I'm worried and that is an understatement. I'm also pissed off, disturbed and disappointed by what I see on this board.
Sorry, Happy Joy. Most of the folks here "get it." A lot of the ones who argue against the principle of being forced to be safe--like Sweet Sue--are actually following social distancing orders.

We'll come through it. ALTHOUGH MY BEAUTICIAN is closed at least until the end of April and that's gonna get ugly.

Nail technicians as well have locked up their practices. There are going to be a lot of shabby looking broads in this country by fall.

My manicurist is closed for the duration. I had to go au naturel on my nails, and now I can't even open a can of Coke.

I know, it's a first-world problem; on the other hand, that IS the reason why I live in a first-world country. ;)
I broke the valve on my bicycles rear inner tube, and the bike store is CLOSED! LOL Thank God for online shopping

What you gonna eat in Arizona? Cactus? Snakes?
Aside from the cannibalism factor, I've grown rather fond over the years. That last unwarranted ban notwithstanding.

Oh, so you don't really know much about Arizona then.

Also, given that the church deliberately provoked this conflict, it definitely doesn't meet the definition of "persecution", and the pastor and his attendees are no kind of "heroes" or "martyrs".

It wasn't the church that tried to illegally shut down the government. It was the government that tried to illegally shut down the church, in blatant and inexcusable violation of the First Amendment. It was government that manufactured a fake crisis, and then tried to use it as an excuse to trash the Constitution.
Congregating at the church was not the only option. They could have performed their services online.

Not everyone has online access you know.

Computers are limited ,they have not yet found a way to deliver smell waves, so that the congregants can smell the incense. And how will snake handling denominations going to reproduce that experience online
People can burn their own incense and handle their own snakes.

Not necessarily. A lot of landlords prohibit both practices in rental properties. I suppose if the continued ban on Evictions continues indefinitely it might be possible.
Why would those people rent an apartment where they're not free to practice their religion? Sounds like they're not very committed.

Neither incense-burning nor snake-handling are typically part of individual daily devotions. They're both part of group rituals.

But I admire your consistency in never, ever, in any way allowing yourself to even try to understand people you don't agree with.
Try not to be so fucking ignorant. I was returning that poster's facetiousness.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Try not to be so fucking ignorant about doing it. Facetiousness doesn't excuse being wildly inaccurate with it.

Actually, you got this half assed backwards. The most affected states are cess pools like New York, owned and operated by the Far Left.

Not in so called "troglodyte states".

Libs have disregarded our President's suggestion for citizens to wash their hands, figuring they are "fucking up Trump's program" by their refusals.

tick toc, trog ... tic toc.

It's happening now, Mississippi has the largest COVID-19 hospitalization rate.

Oklahoma and South Carolina round out the top 3.

Mississippi has 1100 cases of Kung Flu. New York has 84000.

BTW, Louisiana is adjacent to Mississippi but is run by a Hardcore leftist, and has more than 5 times as many cases as Mississippi
It has nothing to do with politics. Mississippi doesn't have Mardi Gras.

Actually, it does. So does Alabama, but not on the same scale as in New Orleans.
Miss's infection rate may have a lot to do with how many went to Nawlins for Mardi Gras

Those fuckers would rather you die than they be inconvenienced. Even Miss is not as crazy as Ariz

I say no.
A "seasonal health issue" does not have a potential to kill over a million Americans
Potential worst case stuff is Nothing to shut down a nation over
It is when there's no defense othe than that for a pandemic. We did this before, you know

There are exceptions.

thud.gif
shakehead.gif
smiliegah.gif

They don't care.

Nail technicians as well have locked up their practices. There are going to be a lot of shabby looking broads in this country by fall.

My manicurist is closed for the duration. I had to go au naturel on my nails, and now I can't even open a can of Coke.

I know, it's a first-world problem; on the other hand, that IS the reason why I live in a first-world country. ;)
I broke the valve on my bicycles rear inner tube, and the bike store is CLOSED! LOL Thank God for online shopping

Heard that.

In a weird way, this makes me even more grateful to live in the US (which I very much am, anyway). How luxurious must our society be normally, if these are the problems stressing me out when things get tough?

Although obviously, I'm not discounting that a lot of people have genuine problems to stress about right now. I'm very fortunate to be classified as "essential" and still working.

Forum List

Back