Happy Confederate Memorial Day Texans

No law against secession, never was. That sucks for your idiot fake Teachable Moment.

The Supreme Court disagreed.

And notice you won't touch my actual point.....that Slavery was absolutely the cause of the South secession. Why? We both know I'm right.

Its so ludicrously obvious that the South killed tens of thousands of loyal American soldiers in an attempt to preserve the power of the State to strip people of every right so they could be sold as property.

Read the Articles of Secession written by the southern States themselves. Or continue to ignore them.

History doesn't change either way.

And notice you won't touch my actual point.....that Slavery was absolutely the cause of the South secession.

I've touched it a hundred times, I just ignore the more stupid attempts to parrot that BS over and over and over again just because some new kid just found the rubbish and thought they were original or something. Go find the thousand or so old threads on it, parrot boi.

The war was absolutely about slavery. Read the secession documents where the states lay out their reasons. They cited slavery over and over. They cite slavery as the cause for their secession.

"The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue..

This 'right' being the 'right' to own slaves. As they lay out explicitly and repeatedly in their Articles of Secession:

"[A]n increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. . . ."

Its only later, after losing its bid to preserve that objectively evil practice, that that the South tried to reform its image and divorce its betrayal from the defense of slavery and position themselves as defenders of 'States Rights'.

There are no 'States Rights'. States have powers. People have rights.

The South murdered tens of thousands of loyal American soldiers to preserve the POWER of the State to strip PEOPLE of every right so they could be sold as property.

That's the legacy of the Confederacy.
Secession and the war are two different things.

The secession was a rebellion under the US constitution. And an armed one from the very first moment.

Do we agree on this as well?
Disagree. Secession was a 10th Amendment power that the states have. After exercising that constitutional power the Yankees began increasing troops in CSA states. This was the act of war the started the Civil War. The CSA offered to buy the forts from the Yankees, but Lincoln preferred to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Disagree. Secession was a 10th Amendment power that the states have. After exercising that constitutional power the Yankees began increasing troops in CSA states. This was the act of war the started the Civil War. The CSA offered to buy the forts from the Yankees, but Lincoln preferred to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Lincoln needed to plunder the South to pay for the massive corporate welfare spending in northern states and force them to subsidize the high tariffs and protectionism for American manufacturers, as well as giving away massive land grants to railroads. Example:

"But what am I to do in the meantime with those men at Montgomery [meaning the Confederate constitutional convention]? Am I to let them go on...[a]nd open Charleston, etc., as ports of entry, with thirteen-percent tariff. What, then, would become of my tariff?" ~Lincoln to Colonel John B. Baldwin, deputized by the Virginian Commissioners to determine whether Lincoln would use force, April 4,1861.

Most of those Bills were sent out of Committee in the aftermath of the election, with Lincoln already announcing his intention to sign them, and SC seceded the next week. It was a war for corporate welfare and railroad giveaways; despite the log cabin myth and the 'down home country boy' scam Lincoln was a railroad lawyer and made a nice living helping them screw over farmers and small business people and lobbying for big business.

Under Lincoln it was the northern states who would benefit almost exclusively, while the South would be taxed into poverty, as it soon was after the War. This also included 'freed blacks' over 90% of whom remained in the South after the war, due to Black Codes in the North.

Last edited:
Oh no a slaver state got demolished. How sad. :laugh:

Forum List

Back