We Have the Right to Assemble and Freedom of Religion - Unlawful Arrest of Preacher

Looks like some of our government officials haven't read the Constitution.

---Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly---

Public safety, kid. Emergency measures and all that.

Country based on individual liberty, and freedom of religion and all that.

Granted, I think the idiot should have stayed home.... but the fact is, we are country based on freedom and liberty. Sorry, but you don't get to just make us your slaves because you want to. By all means, convince, argue, and encourage. But no, we are a free people. Period.

Sorry you don't get to knowingly endanger people.

Constitution my friend. Sorry, you don't get to just take away constitutional rights.

How many more will be endangered by a civil war? Make Corona look like a Utopia.

a national emergency -

catch the virus and die - the constitution is moot
Now you should understand the words of Benjamin Franklin " those who would give up an essential liberty for a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben, being a pretty smart feller, would have told you to get back inside and shut up. It will be over soon.
Ben wasn't into controlling anyone like you are. Keep calm. Kneel down. He's going to come in your mouth any minute. That's how you shut up.

If this was 1942 you'd be defending hoarding as a freedom.
Oh is hoarding a constitutional right
Freedom to assemble is. Freedom of religion is. Right there, first amendment.

Gads democrats aren't worth as much as mold.

Is standing around with a group of other people collectively with their thumbs up their asses a constitutional right?

Yes, stupid.... it is. Grow up.

I'm not the one who can't get it through my head the depth of what we're in. You'll figure it out.

No I get it. By all means convince those to stay home. If I was face to face with this guy, I'd be like "dude what the crap are doing?".

But there is a fundamental difference between a freedom based society, and a left-wing totalitarian dictatorship of oppression where people don't have rights.

That's what you need to get through your head. This illness will pass. It will. The destruction, and elimination of rights... that will destroy the entire country. You wipe out the constitution, and this virus will look like a Utopia compared to the oppression that government will inflict on the public.

Every cruel and evil brutal dictatorship, has endless justification for the destruction of liberty. Right now, you are on the side of this argument that Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin, Castro, and Hugo Chavez were on.

You should think about that.

If they could think better, they wouldn't be liberals

Sad but true

I notice that you're very conveniently avoiding responding to my posts, or even acknowledging that they exist, so that you can make this all about Conservative Patriots vs. Ignorant Liberals.

Hey every single liberlal/Leftist on this thread who has cried and whined and slobbered over the white Christians in their megachurches: go play in the shallow pool of your precious Identity Politics for a while and find out who some of the worst offenders of Still Going to Church are:

Black City Churchgoers. It's in my new thread under Current Events. Oh and this particularly dangerous because COVID is hitting some of these communities very hard

Go on, run over there and tell us how terrible it is that Black people are also going to church. I'll wait over there for ya

Hey, every single "great leftist fighter" who's making this an Us vs. Them partisan fight . . . try responding to ME. I realize that it will hamper you a little by denying you your favorite slogans and memes and insults and require you to actually think about what you're saying and who you're saying it to, but it'll build character. I promise.

Right now, guidelines call for social distancing in the population however, the congress can assemble. I guess they are more 'special.'

Congress is classified as "essential government services". They're also assembling as little as humanly possible.

Right now, guidelines call for social distancing in the population however, the congress can assemble. I guess they are more 'special.'

Congress is classified as "essential government services". They're also assembling as little as humanly possible.

Congress people are significantly more susceptible to COVID 19 than other Americans. At least 5 members- 1%- have already contracted it. A significantly greater portion than the general public.

theres no talking to rw morons about doing the right thing - they have NO CONCEPT BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG

Given that one of the biggest conservatives on this board - me - happens to be arguing the point you want to make (better than you are), there is not enough "fuck you" in the world for your partisan hack bullshit.

you slobber this^^^^^^^^^^^^

your next post you're trying to educate one of the stupid shits-

like every other rw idiot, your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

KMA

Like most leftists, you couldn't define "hypocrisy" if someone forcefed you a dictionary, and you behave with all the sanity and reason of a rabid dog. At least you're consistent in being trash.

The right to assemble is already regulated for safety with requirements for permits.

The right to worship is already regulated also for safety by limits of how many people can be in particular buildings, fire codes and water and sanitation in waste removal and food.

So, complaints about limiting church services cannot honestly be grounded on concerns that govt is infringing by placing safety limits. Rather the arguments are really about whether the govt's power can go as far as totally shutting down any religious service to groups of say more than ten. That is there's no basis to argue govt cannot limit rights on the need for safety, but rather how far can the govt go.

Pretty much, that's correct. The government is not telling them what to believe or how to practice it; they're just telling them how many people can be present while doing so.
jmo, but it might help if religious groups were given some assistance in access to social media. The guy in LA who wouldn't shut it down said he needed to literally lay hands on his congregation. There's no compromise there, unless the govt want so declare that a vital function exception to say in place.

The guy in LA is a moron, AND he doesn't know his theology very well. As if God can't hear and answer your prayer without a specific ritual attached to it. Is he praying, or doing a magic spell?

Also, given that the church deliberately provoked this conflict, it definitely doesn't meet the definition of "persecution", and the pastor and his attendees are no kind of "heroes" or "martyrs".

It wasn't the church that tried to illegally shut down the government. It was the government that tried to illegally shut down the church, in blatant and inexcusable violation of the First Amendment. It was government that manufactured a fake crisis, and then tried to use it as an excuse to trash the Constitution.
Congregating at the church was not the only option. They could have performed their services online.

Not everyone has online access you know.

Computers are limited ,they have not yet found a way to deliver smell waves, so that the congregants can smell the incense. And how will snake handling denominations going to reproduce that experience online
People can burn their own incense and handle their own snakes.

Not necessarily. A lot of landlords prohibit both practices in rental properties. I suppose if the continued ban on Evictions continues indefinitely it might be possible.
Why would those people rent an apartment where they're not free to practice their religion? Sounds like they're not very committed.

Neither incense-burning nor snake-handling are typically part of individual daily devotions. They're both part of group rituals.

But I admire your consistency in never, ever, in any way allowing yourself to even try to understand people you don't agree with.
Try not to be so fucking ignorant. I was returning that poster's facetiousness.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Try not to be so fucking ignorant about doing it. Facetiousness doesn't excuse being wildly inaccurate with it.
I honestly don't believe you know what the word fucking means. Since when is accuracy a fundamental requirement of inappropriate humor?

Untitled.png

Congress people are significantly more susceptible to COVID 19 than other Americans. At least 5 members- 1%- have already contracted it. A significantly greater portion than the general public.

True, which is why they're assembling as little as they can manage. Nevertheless, they have a clear and specific duty in this situation, and if they're not prepared to take some risk to fulfill their duty to the American people, then they need to get the fuck out of office.

---Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly---

There are exceptions.

Will they make exceptions for the Radical Muslims in a few weeks when their annual Ramadam bullshit comes down?

Of course the exceptions don't apply to Muslims. Why that would be wacist.

Oh they never do, never. Muslims are brown-skinned, they're "diverse" and wear cool clothing.

That's all it takes for most simpleton Leftists to drool all over them.

Did you actually just sit on this board and post "Muslims are brown-skinned"????

:laughing0301:
thud.gif
:laugh2: :lmao:
shakehead.gif
:auiqs.jpg:
smiliegah.gif

Wait wait --- and then immediately follow that sweeping non sequitur generalization with "they're diverse"??

Holy SHIT that just took over first place for stupidest post in recent memory.
Oh no, I gotta bookmark this shit.

You entirely missed that I'm citing reasons WHY BRAIN-DEAD LEFTIST LOVE MUSLIMS but go ahead Pogo knock yourself out

I don't know anyone who is 'brain dead' but as a 'leftist' I no more love or hate Muslims than I do Christians or Jews.

And I expect Americans- regardless of whether they are Muslim, Jewish or Christian or atheists to follow the law and do what they can to protect everyone.

That's what all the Nazis said at the Nuremburg Trials--they were just "following the law", just following orders

The law, "orders" should be questioned. Does anyone at all remember when so-called liberals weren't mindless drones just following whatever orders are handed down?

First we have "ohmigod, it's SLAVERY to expect us to be inconvenienced!" Now we have "ohmigod, it's just like the NAZIS to expect us to be inconvenienced!" Should we cue the fainting couch and smelling salts? 'Cause this level of hysterical melodrama is positively Victorian.

That's a lot of hyperbole coming from you.

The Nazis cited the the law when they were asked to give account: "I was just following the law". I'm saying the law isn't always right. I mean let's look at these shutdown orders now. We don't really even know if what we're doing is right or wise, for pity's sake. It's certainly crashing our economy. But aside from that, even if it IS wise, people still have the Constitutional right to gather for worship.

You do remember the Bill of Rights, correct?

Why should those rights supersede others rights to life?

Mainly because the premise that allowing people to exercise their explicitly-asserted First Amendment rights violates anyone else's right to life is a flat-out lie, and those of you telling it know damn well that you are lying.
Nope, it's not a lie. Congregating in large numbers increasing the spread of COVID-19. Not just among church-goers, but among those with whom they come in contact. That selfishly puts others lives in peril and unfortunately for some, brutally strips away their right to life.

Your pathetically weak excuse fails to justify placing the right to assemble above the right to life.
That is the legal/constitutional justification. There's no social need to ban snake handling, or even peyote use, if it's central to the exercise of religion, because no one besides the faithful are impacted. But the virus WILL WITHOUT ANY QUESTION spread outside of just the people assembling in some religious setting, because the faithful will not remain quarantined inside the locale of the religious setting.

So, if someone want to assert the regulation goes too far in banning the assembly altogether, they have to address how the exponential rise in sick people is not affected.
And in a totally selfish vein, those who continue to disregard the social distancing orders prolong this goddamned shutdown and the ever tightening stay-at-home orders that are completely fucking up our lives.

if all 50 states go into shelter in place mode, scientists are predicting that our best outcome will be 100,000 - 240,000,000 dead. that is the benchmark we hope to meet. but it's not looking like the troglodyte states are jumping on board; so the toll might be higher. i hope & pray (in my house where i know god can hear me) that scientific models have it wrong.

But what about the millions that die afterwards from the Super-Depression that ensues?

You're right. Let's open up for business now. You think the virus is going away and the economy comes screaming back? You're not going to have an economy until this is under control.

If this last for a long time, we still won't have an economy. Right now, a lot of businesses , a lot of people are really struggling. I'm not personally. But those in retail trade, in hospitality, transportation, restaurants, pimpery and prostitution, are all being ruined and reduced to utter destitution.

I get that but you can't have an economy during wildly out of control pandemic. It's just not going to happen so we have no choice but to take care of one issue to a point where it is manageable and then go after the second otherwise neither gets fixed.
Get ready to starve, dumbass. Me? I can eat whatever. You? You're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not going hungry anytime soon. I can wait this out for years if need be.
Suure, buckwheat. With what? No guns?

I live in Arizona, who said anything about no guns?
Those fuckers would rather you die than they be inconvenienced. Even Miss is not as crazy as Ariz

Parts of Arizona are as politically bizarre as you would imagine. However considering most the the state including myself are transplants it's very much a purple state at this point. In 5 years the state will be reliably blue.

Also, given that the church deliberately provoked this conflict, it definitely doesn't meet the definition of "persecution", and the pastor and his attendees are no kind of "heroes" or "martyrs".

It wasn't the church that tried to illegally shut down the government. It was the government that tried to illegally shut down the church, in blatant and inexcusable violation of the First Amendment. It was government that manufactured a fake crisis, and then tried to use it as an excuse to trash the Constitution.
Congregating at the church was not the only option. They could have performed their services online.

Computers are limited ,they have not yet found a way to deliver smell waves, so that the congregants can smell the incense. And how will snake handling denominations going to reproduce that experience online

Not necessarily. A lot of landlords prohibit both practices in rental properties. I suppose if the continued ban on Evictions continues indefinitely it might be possible.
Why would those people rent an apartment where they're not free to practice their religion? Sounds like they're not very committed.

Neither incense-burning nor snake-handling are typically part of individual daily devotions. They're both part of group rituals.

But I admire your consistency in never, ever, in any way allowing yourself to even try to understand people you don't agree with.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Try not to be so fucking ignorant about doing it. Facetiousness doesn't excuse being wildly inaccurate with it.
I honestly don't believe you know what the word fucking means. Since when is accuracy a fundamental requirement of inappropriate humor?

View attachment 318334

Ever hear the phrase "it's funny 'cause it's true"? Humor works best when it's accurately targeted. Otherwise, it's just inane babbling.

Some people will die, but the overwhelming majority will recovered and thrive.
And most of them are old people with medical issues who only have a few years left at best anyway.

Hey, pal. My older sister is 59, with serious asthma and a couple of other things that put her in the high-risk-of-death category for this thing. Without the coronavirus and with regular medication and doctor's visits, she's a vibrant, essential part of her family's lives and will be for at least 20 years yet.

I will thank you not to be so casual and callous about people some of us love, just because they aren't YOUR loved ones.

And I will say again: my son has a severe, life-threatening peanut allergy. HIS life depends on YOU not sneaking nuts into food. And YOU and YOU and YOU. Now. Should we make laws for everyone in the world to stop putting nuts in food, in all places, or whatever, because his life needs to be sustained?

This is not an emotional argument. It's my son. It's your sister. It's really a rights v. responsibilities argument. In the end it is really no one's responsibility to keep my son alive. And it is no one's responsibility to keep your sister alive. Especially when this infringes on essential liberties.

True, which is why they're assembling as little as they can manage. Nevertheless, they have a clear and specific duty in this situation, and if they're not prepared to take some risk to fulfill their duty to the American people, then they need to get the fuck out of office.

I'd like to see Congress assemble more using modern communications technology, staying in their district most of the year. Change the rules to make it legit.

I thought that more before this virus, in order to inoculate them from the toxic DC culture, not just this pandemic.

Granted, I think the idiot should have stayed home.... but the fact is, we are country based on freedom and liberty. Sorry, but you don't get to just make us your slaves because you want to. By all means, convince, argue, and encourage. But no, we are a free people. Period.

Then stop driving cars, which is a known danger.

Do not EVER eat peanuts or tree nuts in public places again, a known danger for the food allergic.

Or wear fragrances. A danger for asthmatics.

Gosh, so many dangers you need to avoid, thumb sucker

You are not even remotely making a relevant or valid analogy here. Crowding together during a pandemic of a respiratory virus is NOT the same as everyday life risks, not even close. It's far more akin to texting while driving, or even driving drunk. I'm assuming that you don't do either of those, regardless of your constant cries of "don't let fear rule your life!"

Sure it is. You don't want those churches meeting even if they assure no one has a fever, they are employing social distancing, and everyone must use hand sanitizer--right? In other words, you want their freedoms taken no matter what. For "safety".

There are exceptions.

Will they make exceptions for the Radical Muslims in a few weeks when their annual Ramadam bullshit comes down?

Oh they never do, never. Muslims are brown-skinned, they're "diverse" and wear cool clothing.

Did you actually just sit on this board and post "Muslims are brown-skinned"????

thud.gif
shakehead.gif
smiliegah.gif

Wait wait --- and then immediately follow that sweeping non sequitur generalization with "they're diverse"??

You entirely missed that I'm citing reasons WHY BRAIN-DEAD LEFTIST LOVE MUSLIMS but go ahead Pogo knock yourself out

I don't know anyone who is 'brain dead' but as a 'leftist' I no more love or hate Muslims than I do Christians or Jews.

And I expect Americans- regardless of whether they are Muslim, Jewish or Christian or atheists to follow the law and do what they can to protect everyone.

That's what all the Nazis said at the Nuremburg Trials--they were just "following the law", just following orders

The law, "orders" should be questioned. Does anyone at all remember when so-called liberals weren't mindless drones just following whatever orders are handed down?

First we have "ohmigod, it's SLAVERY to expect us to be inconvenienced!" Now we have "ohmigod, it's just like the NAZIS to expect us to be inconvenienced!" Should we cue the fainting couch and smelling salts? 'Cause this level of hysterical melodrama is positively Victorian.

The Nazis cited the the law when they were asked to give account: "I was just following the law". I'm saying the law isn't always right. I mean let's look at these shutdown orders now. We don't really even know if what we're doing is right or wise, for pity's sake. It's certainly crashing our economy. But aside from that, even if it IS wise, people still have the Constitutional right to gather for worship.

No hyperbole from me at all. You're comparing "Avoid gathering in large groups for a limited time" to "the NAZIS!" It is hysterical and melodramatic, and that is just flat accuracy.

I will go farther and tell you what I told Slavery Lad: it is offensive for you to trivialize the horrors of the Nazi regime by equating it with temporary quarantine restrictions during a pandemic. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are also trivializing the First Amendment by trying to paint this asinine pastor and congregation as "heroic fighters for free religion". I am ashamed of you.

I remember the Bill of Rights, thank you very much, and do NOT take that supercilious, "If you don't agree with me, you don't care about the Constitution" tone with ME, miss. I also remember that good citizens and good adults do not get so enamored of everything they think they have a right to that they forget that they have responsibilities that go along with those rights. Maybe YOU should calm down, grow up, and remember that as well.

icon_rolleyes.gif

View attachment 318334

Ever hear the phrase "it's funny 'cause it's true"? Humor works best when it's accurately targeted. Otherwise, it's just inane babbling.
And you're stupid enough to think that phrase applies to ALL humor? Something can't be funny in your alternate universe if it's not true?

Constitution my friend. Sorry, you don't get to just take away constitutional rights.

How many more will be endangered by a civil war? Make Corona look like a Utopia.

a national emergency -

catch the virus and die - the constitution is moot
Now you should understand the words of Benjamin Franklin " those who would give up an essential liberty for a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben, being a pretty smart feller, would have told you to get back inside and shut up. It will be over soon.
Ben wasn't into controlling anyone like you are. Keep calm. Kneel down. He's going to come in your mouth any minute. That's how you shut up.

Ben Franklin lived in a society that had laws for the purpose of keeping your freedom from trampling on the freedom of others, so trying to attribute reckless anarchy to him is dishonest.

It is not my responsibility to sustain anyone else's life. Not ESPECIALLY when Bill of Rights violations are in play.

Talk about a "slippery slope"--that's a slope you don't want to go on. Individual freedoms are about the only founding principle that make us different from the entire rest of the world.

There are exceptions.

thud.gif
shakehead.gif
smiliegah.gif

No hyperbole from me at all. You're comparing "Avoid gathering in large groups for a limited time" to "the NAZIS!" It is hysterical and melodramatic, and that is just flat accuracy.

I will go farther and tell you what I told Slavery Lad: it is offensive for you to trivialize the horrors of the Nazi regime by equating it with temporary quarantine restrictions during a pandemic. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are also trivializing the First Amendment by trying to paint this asinine pastor and congregation as "heroic fighters for free religion". I am ashamed of you.

I remember the Bill of Rights, thank you very much, and do NOT take that supercilious, "If you don't agree with me, you don't care about the Constitution" tone with ME, miss. I also remember that good citizens and good adults do not get so enamored of everything they think they have a right to that they forget that they have responsibilities that go along with those rights. Maybe YOU should calm down, grow up, and remember that as well.

I'm a reasonable individual.

But this current lockdown can't be open ended, we need to see a return to normalcy up ahead pretty soon. 30% unemployment is really bad news. They had it for many years in Detroit, take a look at that mess.

A limited period of quarantine, people are understanding of that. An indefinite period of crushing poverty, not so much.

There are exceptions.

thud.gif
shakehead.gif
smiliegah.gif

And I even got a SHAMING. Wow you've taken on so much Leftist language. I would assume all this emotionalism is wrapped up in your concern with your sister. I get it. I have dealt with the sudden and potential death of my son for years and years. He almost did die once. We had to give him a second epi-pen on the way to the hospital. He broke through that one too. It was very scary in the ER.

I learned to let go. I had to. He lives in a world with peanuts. We live in a world with viruses. It is more important THAN EVER that we keep our nation free.

People don’t like Nazis being brought up and I think it is first time I have but did not the beginning of them rounding people up start over health issues?

Forum List

Back