USMB Coffee Shop IV

Greetings!
Stopping by for a minute to say 'Hi!'. I enjoyed reading all your news.
Working days is as miserable as I thought it would be, especially that double rush hour coming in mornings. Well, it should only last for a short while, a few months, at most. I've been tasked with reviewing and re-writing Policies and Procedures manuals. Not the most exciting job, certainly, but one to keep me busy. Some of this stuff hasn't been updated for many years. I'm also re-structuring the way they are laid out.
No significant snow here. There was a slush storm the day after my brother left and the temps dropped to single- and minus-digits since then. We're in the teens today and expecting a few inches of snow.
My propane heater at home finally gave up and I got a nice new one. It has a "cat crisper" feature (space under the fire box) that is greatly favored by my furfam. Of course, the new pipes on both the propane and wood stoves make it a lot easier to light them and keep the house warm, even if I'm not there to stoke the wood stove.
Well, I guess I should go and earn my keep. I have limited power at my place until I get a generator running. It's been too cold to start it and I get 2-4 hours off the solar batteries, depending on how much sun we've gotten any given day. It's a deep, snowy overcast now and I doubt I'll get much power when I get home tonight. I'll try to get online and chat more, if I can.
Love y'all and miss having more time for everything.
Have a great weekend and stay warm and dry.

Just in case you're wondering..........

1604719090679.png

Of course it is interesting that all these French men and women on the series all speak the King's English............ :eusa_whistle:

Btw, thanks for good idea, I've already eaten two full seasons!!! :)

What I could say about? It's a series about English mushketeers, not about French :)

We're finally getting some rain today, which I am taking to mean that we are done with the Fire Season from Hell in Norther CA.

My heart is quite heavy today. Our hideous next door neighbors have basically abandoned their cat. He has always spent a great deal of time sunning itself in our backyard. He's a very unfriendly cat; so we generally leave him alone and he gives us wide berth. Yesterday, however, he came and sat near us by our kitchen door. The poor thing had been in a fight - quite ragged looking. He also looked incredibly scrawny.

We tried to reach the hideous neighbors to let them know their cat is in bad shape. Nobody answers the door or phone at their house.

So, we fed the poor cat; he was starving.

What type of people leave a pet without anyone to feed or check in on him? I never like them much, but now I really [Lina Lamont Voice]Caaaaaan't Stan 'Em![/Lina Lamont Voice].

Yup, still alive, figured I'd stop by and say hello. I'm doing okay, dealing with depression but I'm aware of it and fighting it off, some days are better than others though. I'll get through it. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Hang in there, dude.

I just got back from the doctor. I was doing a follow up after a basic physical. Everything was fine with my urine, my cholesterol levels are apparently spectacular, but my blood sugar isn’t great. I was at 100 after fasting, which is the very beginning of pre-diabetes.
I’m going to need to start taking cinnamon pills, cut down on sugar intake :206:, and try to build more muscle. Weight loss would be the normal first choice, but it really isn’t an option for me.
It would be easier if I just needed to work on cardio. I could walk the dogs more, and we have a treadmill in the house. I guess I’m going to have to start doing a bunch of push ups and squats type stuff, unless I buy a set of weights. I’m not sure where I’d put them :lol:
I go back in 3 months to see if there’s any change.

We're finally getting some rain today, which I am taking to mean that we are done with the Fire Season from Hell in Norther CA.

My heart is quite heavy today. Our hideous next door neighbors have basically abandoned their cat. He has always spent a great deal of time sunning itself in our backyard. He's a very unfriendly cat; so we generally leave him alone and he gives us wide berth. Yesterday, however, he came and sat near us by our kitchen door. The poor thing had been in a fight - quite ragged looking. He also looked incredibly scrawny.

We tried to reach the hideous neighbors to let them know their cat is in bad shape. Nobody answers the door or phone at their house.

So, we fed the poor cat; he was starving.

What type of people leave a pet without anyone to feed or check in on him? I never like them much, but now I really [Lina Lamont Voice]Caaaaaan't Stan 'Em![/Lina Lamont Voice].

So you fed a hungry cat. Friendly or unfriendly, you now have a cat. :) I suppose you could take him to a local shelter, or you might find he is actually a kindred spirit that belongs with you? We play 42 every week with folks who fed a hungry cat. Now 16 years later that cat is still not the most friendly of cats, but she definitely rules the roost at their house. :) (I feel honored that she does like me.)

I should add that I still believe Coffee Shop people mesh here because despite being very different with each having his/her own unique quirks and endearing or maybe even sometimes not so endearing traits, there is a kindred spirit of kindness/connection among us. You are good people for caring about one of God's creatures, however unlovable it might seem.

Last edited:
I just got back from the doctor. I was doing a follow up after a basic physical. Everything was fine with my urine, my cholesterol levels are apparently spectacular, but my blood sugar isn’t great. I was at 100 after fasting, which is the very beginning of pre-diabetes.
I’m going to need to start taking cinnamon pills, cut down on sugar intake :206:, and try to build more muscle. Weight loss would be the normal first choice, but it really isn’t an option for me.
It would be easier if I just needed to work on cardio. I could walk the dogs more, and we have a treadmill in the house. I guess I’m going to have to start doing a bunch of push ups and squats type stuff, unless I buy a set of weights. I’m not sure where I’d put them :lol:

Good that you caught it early. And yes, cutting out as much sugar and other refined foods, especially refined carbs, as possible can eliminate the problem as well as help with many other problems. I order a product called Pyrure organic stevia blend from Amazon. Seems a little pricey but you use a lot less of it than sugar, it tastes just like sugar sprinkled on oatmeal or in other things you normally use sugar, and it is good for you as artificial sweeteners really aren't. Hombre & I don't have a sugar problem but eliminate most sugar from our diet as a cancer fighter. But I have a terrible sweet tooth, know the artificial sweeteners have side effects I don't want, so the stevia has been a real blessing for me.

We have two friends and two relatives diagnosed with Type II diabetes that changed their diet--not anything draconian but just cutting out most of the refined stuff--and no longer have that diagnosis.

Good that you caught it early. And yes, cutting out as much sugar and other refined foods, especially refined carbs, as possible can eliminate the problem as well as help with many other problems. I order a product called Pyrure organic stevia blend from Amazon. Seems a little pricey but you use a lot less of it than sugar, it tastes just like sugar sprinkled on oatmeal or in other things you normally use sugar, and it is good for you as artificial sweeteners really aren't. Hombre & I don't have a sugar problem but eliminate most sugar from our diet as a cancer fighter. But I have a terrible sweet tooth, know the artificial sweeteners have side effects I don't want, so the stevia has been a real blessing for me.

We have two friends and two relatives diagnosed with Type II diabetes that changed their diet--not anything draconian but just cutting out most of the refined stuff--and no longer have that diagnosis.
My doctor recommended staying away from Stevia, actually. I guess there hasn’t been enough research on it for him to feel comfortable recommending it.
I hate artificial sweeteners, so that’s not an issue for me. :lol:

I was diagnosed about a month ago. Been working on it. lost about 6 pounds so far fasting numbers have been between 103 and 127...

Forum List

Back