USMB Coffee Shop IV

Every year for the passed 25 I have given my brother a Lenox porcelain snowflake Christmas tree ornament. Each year is a unique design fashioned in delicate ivory colored porcelain and fitted with a gold threaded loop and a wee gold tag designating the year.

This year was no different. I got the collectibornament and brought it to him yesterday. We both marveled at the design, but it made me wonder, why wasn't the 2020 ornament black and look as if it is barbed wire? That would fit the mood of this year more appropriately than a lustrous snowflake.

But it will go on his tree along with the other two dozen snowflakes. His tree will be festooned with pricey, collectible snowflakes. He could pawn his ornaments and make a mortgage payment with the proceeds!

I just got back from the doctor. I was doing a follow up after a basic physical. Everything was fine with my urine, my cholesterol levels are apparently spectacular, but my blood sugar isnā€™t great. I was at 100 after fasting, which is the very beginning of pre-diabetes.
Iā€™m going to need to start taking cinnamon pills, cut down on sugar intake :206:, and try to build more muscle. Weight loss would be the normal first choice, but it really isnā€™t an option for me.
It would be easier if I just needed to work on cardio. I could walk the dogs more, and we have a treadmill in the house. I guess Iā€™m going to have to start doing a bunch of push ups and squats type stuff, unless I buy a set of weights. Iā€™m not sure where Iā€™d put them :lol:
I go back in 3 months to see if thereā€™s any change.
I was diagnosed about a month ago. Been working on it. lost about 6 pounds so far fasting numbers have been between 103 and 127...

I don't have much weight to lose. :p My doctor said he recently had the same issue as me: his blood sugar was at 100 after fasting, he's thin and can't afford to lose much weight, he wanted to avoid medication. Apparently he's gotten his levels into good range, hopefully I can do the same. I do have a sweet tooth, though.
:crybaby:

Yup, still alive, figured I'd stop by and say hello. I'm doing okay, dealing with depression but I'm aware of it and fighting it off, some days are better than others though. I'll get through it. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Hang in there, dude.

Welcome to the Coffee Shop Sun Devil 92. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and keep right on joining in. Since it is almost 2 a.m. where I am, I'll make your first timers complimentary beverage a hot toddy. :)
1604998208540.png

I just got back from the doctor. I was doing a follow up after a basic physical. Everything was fine with my urine, my cholesterol levels are apparently spectacular, but my blood sugar isnā€™t great. I was at 100 after fasting, which is the very beginning of pre-diabetes.
Iā€™m going to need to start taking cinnamon pills, cut down on sugar intake :206:, and try to build more muscle. Weight loss would be the normal first choice, but it really isnā€™t an option for me.
It would be easier if I just needed to work on cardio. I could walk the dogs more, and we have a treadmill in the house. I guess Iā€™m going to have to start doing a bunch of push ups and squats type stuff, unless I buy a set of weights. Iā€™m not sure where Iā€™d put them :lol:

Good that you caught it early. And yes, cutting out as much sugar and other refined foods, especially refined carbs, as possible can eliminate the problem as well as help with many other problems. I order a product called Pyrure organic stevia blend from Amazon. Seems a little pricey but you use a lot less of it than sugar, it tastes just like sugar sprinkled on oatmeal or in other things you normally use sugar, and it is good for you as artificial sweeteners really aren't. Hombre & I don't have a sugar problem but eliminate most sugar from our diet as a cancer fighter. But I have a terrible sweet tooth, know the artificial sweeteners have side effects I don't want, so the stevia has been a real blessing for me.

We have two friends and two relatives diagnosed with Type II diabetes that changed their diet--not anything draconian but just cutting out most of the refined stuff--and no longer have that diagnosis.
My doctor recommended staying away from Stevia, actually. I guess there hasnā€™t been enough research on it for him to feel comfortable recommending it.
I hate artificial sweeteners, so thatā€™s not an issue for me. :lol:

Really? My doctor gave it a AAA+ approval. It has been around for decades and it and honey are the only sweeteners allowed on the Budwig protocol that has been used by millions for decades. If you try it, make sure you get the real deal Stevia Extract that is FDA approved and not whole leaf or crude extract some health store sell. I like the Pyure brand that doesn't have any bitterness you find in some stevia extract.

Stevia won't spike blood sugar. Honey can.

Good that you caught it early. And yes, cutting out as much sugar and other refined foods, especially refined carbs, as possible can eliminate the problem as well as help with many other problems. I order a product called Pyrure organic stevia blend from Amazon. Seems a little pricey but you use a lot less of it than sugar, it tastes just like sugar sprinkled on oatmeal or in other things you normally use sugar, and it is good for you as artificial sweeteners really aren't. Hombre & I don't have a sugar problem but eliminate most sugar from our diet as a cancer fighter. But I have a terrible sweet tooth, know the artificial sweeteners have side effects I don't want, so the stevia has been a real blessing for me.

We have two friends and two relatives diagnosed with Type II diabetes that changed their diet--not anything draconian but just cutting out most of the refined stuff--and no longer have that diagnosis.
My doctor recommended staying away from Stevia, actually. I guess there hasnā€™t been enough research on it for him to feel comfortable recommending it.
I hate artificial sweeteners, so thatā€™s not an issue for me. :lol:

Really? My doctor gave it a AAA+ approval. It has been around for decades and it and honey are the only sweeteners allowed on the Budwig protocol that has been used by millions for decades. If you try it, make sure you get the real deal Stevia Extract that is FDA approved and not whole leaf or crude extract some health store sell. I like the Pyure brand that doesn't have any bitterness you find in some stevia extract.

Stevia won't spike blood sugar. Honey can.

From what my doc said, he's concerned about the lack of study on Stevia in combination with other things. Apparently with sucralose, it was found that it caused problems when consumed with carbohydrates that you wouldn't see when studying it alone. That sort of study hasn't been done with Stevia, I guess.

It was a recent study: https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-41312030057-7

Stevia might not do anything of the sort, I think my doc just feels cautious about it. :dunno:

Hello, Gang!
Not enough power to log on over the weekend, I'm on break at work.
My place got a BIG dump of snow over the weekend, more than two feet. And it was the wet, heavy kind that snow blowers don't blow, that sticks to the shovel and sleds, and is generally a horrible problem. The snow slid off my roof and almost knocked my new chimney over, thank goodness we used two anchors. But now, I have to dig the ladder out of the snow that fell and get up and re-fasten that second anchor. Got my truck stuck yesterday and spent a couple of pleasant hours getting it un-stuck, leaving me just enough time to feed and water the beasts. Needless-to-say, I was able to skip going to work, probably wouldn't have made it anyway. I still have to dig out my storage shed and I probably won't be able to use the Kia to get to work since it's pretty much completely buried at this time.
Wow! The fun just never stops sometimes!
How are you all faring in this, the winter season?

I was honored this morning to Post the Colors at the Local HS for their Veterans Day program. They recorded the whole thing and we went through some parts twice. I was also the Keynote speaker. The School has had a veterans day program the past 6 years, I have given the ending thank you at 5 of those. This year it was just 2 Veterans to post the flags and I doubled up as keynote. I was impressed at the level which the students handled themselves with the COVID guidelines. I was in the school for 2 hours and everyone had the protocol down pat.... Can't wait until they post the video tomorrow.

Hello, Gang!
My place got a BIG dump of snow over the weekend, more than two feet. And it was the wet, heavy kind that snow blowers don't blow, that sticks to the shovel and sleds, and is generally a horrible problem. The snow slid off my roof and almost knocked my new chimney over, thank goodness we used two anchors. But now, I have to dig the ladder out of the snow that fell and get up and re-fasten that second anchor. Got my truck stuck yesterday and spent a couple of pleasant hours getting it un-stuck, leaving me just enough time to feed and water the beasts. Needless-to-say, I was able to skip going to work, probably wouldn't have made it anyway. I still have to dig out my storage shed and I probably won't be able to use the Kia to get to work since it's pretty much completely buried at this time.
While my heart goes out to you I'm glad to say it's been in the 70's this past 4 days and we took advantage of it. Two of my brothers and I went fishing 3 of those days and took over 125 Yellow Perch...

Hello, Gang!

Awhile back Hombre & I would be up to that challenge--in fact we were when we lived on the mountain depending on wood burning fireplace with Strader insert for heat when the electricity was out--had our own artesian well, septic system, pressure tank for hot water, and measured snow in feet instead of inches. Before we got 4 wheel drive, I often had to put my little Mercury in the ditch and walk the last half mile home because it just couldn't make the hill in heavy snow.

But in all honesty I just don't think we're up to it anymore. Though I still like a challenge, your day didn't sound like fun. :)

Ha ! I just received hair clippers from Amazon and cut my own hair in a few minutes. Its not a perfect job, because I cannot see the back of my head very well. But I had long hair and the barbers shops are closed because of a lockdown. In any case I did not want to go to the barbers in case I picked up the corona virus there. Now all I have got to figure out is how to do my own teeth.

Ha ! I just received hair clippers from Amazon and cut my own hair in a few minutes. Its not a perfect job, because I cannot see the back of my head very well. But I had long hair and the barbers shops are closed because of a lockdown. In any case I did not want to go to the barbers in case I picked up the corona virus there. Now all I have got to figure out is how to do my own teeth.
Or you could be like me and just let it grow...
Veterans Day 2020.jpg

Get a hand mirror. That's how I check the back of my head when I shave. ;)

We are all heartbroken. We haven't seen our Texas kids in a year because of this stupid COVID-19 and finally were going to get together Thanksgiving. I had bought the turkey, was planning the menu, and we were all excited.

Our governor totally shut down our state again today. All plans cancelled. :(

We are all heartbroken. We haven't seen our Texas kids in a year because of this stupid COVID-19 and finally were going to get together Thanksgiving. I had bought the turkey, was planning the menu, and we were all excited.

1605323216129.png

Sympathies to you and your kin mate :(
Over here we are halfway through a month lockdown. :(

Forum List

Back