USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hope everybody had a reasonably good Halloween. We didn't open up tonight. With COVID supposedly surging to unprecedented extent in our county, it just didn't seem wise. On the other hand I feel cheated because we always enjoy the little ones in their costumes

But as I write this, it is now November 1 and in 2 hours our locks get set back an hour for an extra hour of sleep tonight. And the Halloween blue full moon is shining brightly outside. If you're still up, take a look.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here. Meanwhile we pray or send positive vibes or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Kat for wellness
JustAnotherNut for wellness
Mindful and healing for her shoulder.
Good results for Nosmo King 's step nephew dealing with difficult surgeries.
Beautress for wellness.
Corazon for wellness.
For gallantwarrior for continued healing & successful rehab and, as a bonus, the partner stays away.
Ringel, Peach, Gracie, everybody dealing with depression and adjustment.
Mindful's daughter diagnosed with cancer.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

1604211780040.png

Regardless of your political views, make sure you vote on Tuesday if you haven’t already done so. It’s the right thing to do. Step up to the plate and hit a home run for America.

Hombre & I voted two weeks ago, the same week our usual early voting station opened up. They would only let us vote once though, darn it. But a virtual HUG to you BBD. Always a joy when you drop in.

I hate snow, lived in deep snow lands too long. Hate winter, blah,,,, Hate Mondays too of course!
Winter came early so wife and I took our late fall-early winter vacation early. Currently residing oceanside on Jekyll Island.

Ah that sounds great. It's still nice & warm there, yes? The weather has pretty well returned to normal for early November here. Pleasant bright blue sky days but still a little smoke from the fires. The early snow didn't put them all out it seems.

We had 8 inches of snow in Mn, temps in teens and 20s so we fled for here. Very peaceful, great view and enough to do and see to take up time not spent listening to and watching the ocean

Can what is said about March apply to November? It comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, or vice Versace? If so, November came in rainy, windy and cold. Now, that is not to suggest November will go out like summer in Miami, but it may indicate what we're in store for the rest of the month.

November makes us face some hard facts. Balmy evenings are in the past, sunny clear skies are a rumor. The daylight goes off like a flash bulb and going outside means wearing extra clothes like socks, fleeces and scarves.

On the upside is, of course, Thanksgiving. Mom and Pop were hosts for our extended family for Thanksgiving. The uncle's and aunts would gather at the Big House to doze watching parades and football, snipe at each other's cooking skills in a loving yet cutting way, eat massive amounts of turkey and dressing and potatoes (mashed, scalloped and in marshmallow topped casseroles) and of course home made pies. The only item ever subcontracted to a local bakery was the dinner rolls.

Thanksgiving was the perfect setting for my sainted uncles to recall the tall tales and legends that thrilled me. The Big Snow of 1953 was the main event of the yarn spinning. Every year until Pop's passing in 2008, the details of the Big Snow got more lurid and gruesome. In my youth, the Big Snow was described as an unusually large snowstorm that happened Thanksgiving Day 1953. Thigh deep, the Snow crippled East Liverpool, driving its denizens indoors until the following Sunday.

By 2007, tanks from the Ohio National Guard were used to retrieve corpses from snowbound houses all over town. Bread was regarded as bars of gold bullion, milk was doled out the way Uncle Alex doled out single malt scotch on special occasions. When I graduated college, he let me smell the cork!

Uncle Ducky would tell the story of smearing axel grease on the trolley tracks at the base of the Lisbon Street hill, forcing the out of control street cars into the intersection with Eighth Street. Aunt Dorothy would remember how Greatgrandma would cheat at gin rummy. And Grandpa would throw knowing looks Pop's way while recalling the missing blackberry harvest back in 1943.

November has its faults, no question there. But redemption came on Thanksgiving during the family feast.

Well Foxfyre, the AOC monitor just gave up the ghost. Order a new 27" refurbished ASUS gaming monitor from Amazon at about half it's regular price, only $140. :thup:

Well dang. We just gave away our other old monitor or we could have fixed you up for free. :)

Seriously you'll love the 27" monitor. I can multi task so much easier with all the space. It's really frustrating when I have to work with my 15" laptop.+

Well Foxfyre, the AOC monitor just gave up the ghost. Order a new 27" refurbished ASUS gaming monitor from Amazon at about half it's regular price, only $140. :thup:

Whenever I finally get a new monitor (which may be a while, I don't have a lot of disposable income), it's probably going to be in the $250-300 range. Of course, I don't NEED a new one, but at some point I'm also going to get a new video card, so.... :p

Well dang. We just gave away our other old monitor or we could have fixed you up for free. :)

Seriously you'll love the 27" monitor. I can multi task so much easier with all the space. It's really frustrating when I have to work with my 15" laptop.+
Thanks but now I get a monitor I really want.

I have not upgraded my computer for over three years. I am perfectly happy with my existing system which streams video and music with no problems. But I cannot play the latest games like Doom.
I decided not to bother with upgrading just to play a couple of games, I have a 19inch Digimate monitor. I am not sure if it is LED or LCD.

Snow? I think we’ve had record highs here, close to the 90s. :(

From what I've heard from Florida friends, snow is not a normal thing there. :)
It has been cooler than usual in the tall pines area (aka the piney woods) in Texas.
I worked on painting the fence out front, which has given me a sore upper back and so am retiring early. May everyone who cares to vote, votes, and may the rioting be set aside for the rest of the year. My best to all of you and comfort given to all who lost loved ones recently, who have been breathing smoke for far to long, who are sick or hurting, and who needs a friend's prayer for things that cannot be said in a public forum, may good things come your way to help, heal, and prosper you. Amen.

Winter came early so wife and I took our late fall-early winter vacation early. Currently residing oceanside on Jekyll Island.

Seems to be showing up early here too. I'm in the middle of a big move, only 35 min away but move a small farm is a feat! I moved in here 10 years ago, same time. Darn.

Enjoy the vacation.
I'm confused--did you move away from a small farm, to a small farm, or from one to another small farm?

I'm wondering, because those cute little 36 chicks we bought 4 or 5 months ago are starting to lay eggs, and for some reason, they are smaller the first time or two, bot oh. my. goodness. The flavor of fresh eggs is out of this world. Who knew?

Oh, and my fiancee is putting a wood floor inside the 24x35' steel building we put up to hold my fabric stash so to get it out of the house. Lol! I had him put the window on the side where I could keep an eye on the chicken coup and run area. If I ever have to sell my quilt store in Wyoming, I will have a place for any fabrics left after the final sales are done. I hope that doesn't happen any time soon, but it could.

I have not upgraded my computer for over three years. I am perfectly happy with my existing system which streams video and music with no problems. But I cannot play the latest games like Doom.
I decided not to bother with upgrading just to play a couple of games, I have a 19inch Digimate monitor. I am not sure if it is LED or LCD.

We are much the same. Some of our favorite old games don't work well or at all on Win 10, but it isn't important enough to us to go to all the expense of replacing them with something that will work. And we don't have the high power gaming computers so just don't bother with the more sophisticated games.

Thanks but now I get a monitor I really want.

Just got Hombre's permission to 'surprise' him with a new one for Christmas. Hoping the 22" he now has will last that long as it is definitely going out soon.

I've been passing some time watching The Musketeers, BBC TV series (2015 -2017?). It's not bad but not something to rave over. It does not hold true to the book by any means and the costuming is "eclectic" for lack of a more apt description........ At least the swords, matchlocks and snaphaunces (pistols) are period correct.

Forum List

Back