There Is a Real Sense That the Apocalypse Is Coming: ex-evangelical tracks the rise of white Christian nationalism, looks ahead to where movement goes

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
I think it is easy to write people off as irrational or unhinged when they engage in conspiracy theories, but if we ask what conspiracy theories do in the context of the religious right, we arrive at a kind of power analysis.

This is a group that is used to having an enormous amount of privilege and influence over American politics, culture and economics, and over the last 60 years, they have increasingly felt as if that power has been slipping away. In my mind, conspiracy theories are a very effective way to mobilize one’s community and to leverage what is actually real and true in the public square, even if you don’t have the evidence or data to back it up. For the religious right, conspiracy is a reaction to not having unilateral decision-making power over what is accepted as true and unreal in the American public square. In many senses, conspiracy is a revenge fantasy — it’s an expression of resentment that says, “We are the ones who decide what is fact, we’re the ones who decide what is real, and we are going to push that vision on the public square even if you continue to tell us that there is no actual evidentiary basis for it.”

I think it is easy to write people off as irrational or unhinged when they engage in conspiracy theories, but if we ask what conspiracy theories do in the context of the religious right, we arrive at a kind of power analysis.

This is a group that is used to having an enormous amount of privilege and influence over American politics, culture and economics, and over the last 60 years, they have increasingly felt as if that power has been slipping away. In my mind, conspiracy theories are a very effective way to mobilize one’s community and to leverage what is actually real and true in the
public square, even if you don’t have the evidence or data to back it up. For the religious right, conspiracy is a reaction to not having unilateral decision-making power over what is accepted as true and unreal in the American public square. In many senses, conspiracy is a revenge fantasy — it’s an expression of resentment that says, “We are the ones who decide what is fact, we’re the ones who decide what is real, and we are going to push that vision on the public square even if you continue to tell us that there is no actual evidentiary basis for it.”

I think their influence is waning.

oh yes...the problem is white christian nationalism. A movement made up by the left media during the trump administration.
It certainly takes the focus off the ACTUAL middle eastern jihadii terrorist movement now don't it.

This is a group that is used to having an enormous amount of privilege and influence over American politics, culture and economics, and over the last 60 years, they have increasingly felt as if that power has been slipping away. In my mind, conspiracy theories are a very effective way to mobilize one’s community and to leverage what is actually real and true in the public square, even if you don’t have the evidence or data to back it up. For the religious right, conspiracy is a reaction to not having unilateral decision-making power over what is accepted as true and unreal in the American public square. In many senses, conspiracy is a revenge fantasy — it’s an expression of resentment that says, “We are the ones who decide what is fact, we’re the ones who decide what is real, and we are going to push that vision on the public square even if you continue to tell us that there is no actual evidentiary basis for it.”

Most sane folks, not just the religious right, write off the crazy conspiracies and childish delusions of grandeur of the far-left.

oh yes...the problem is white christian nationalism. A movement made up by the left media during the trump administration.
It certainly takes the focus off the ACTUAL middle eastern jihadii terrorist movement now don't it.

What Middle Eastern jihadi terrorists are you worried about?

What Middle Eastern jihadi terrorists are you worried about?
In the end many people will die. Its semantics of if the Christians are the ones that are first in line for that or not. The rest will follow.

according to the white nationalists i've done oppo research on: a Dem White House win in 2024 would even be a good thing for the cause: it would usher in the destruction of the Union and the birth of a white homeland.

Great to to hear about the Apocalypse next week
Fingers crossed ,

2023 rd time lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to the white nationalists i've done oppo research on: a Dem White House win in 2024 would even be a good thing for the cause: it would usher in the destruction of the Union and the birth of a white homeland.

White Homeland?? Somebody has dumped their gyro.

You really believe white nationalism is a threat? When did a bunch of white nationalists burn down cities? Is is white nationalists that are killing people on urban streets every day? You people will believe anything.

To Stephen Miller it was as clear as day that the elites in Washington hated his kind, by which he meant hard-working, Christian, and—most importantly—white Americans.

“I don’t know how anyone can look at what’s going on and not see that it is a clear and orchestrated war on whites,” Miller said. “Take immigration for one thing: Who are the Democrats’ core voters? Because it sure as hell isn’t the white working class anymore. It’s the black and the brown people. Of course the Democrats want to flood the country with immigrants—because it will ensure that they stay in power forever. Meanwhile we have no jobs, we have no education, and our communities are flooded with heroin and OxyContin. We are dying, and nobody gives a shit because the people in power either don’t need us or actively hate us. Either way, white people are screwed.”

You really believe white nationalism is a threat? When did a bunch of white nationalists burn down cities? Is is white nationalists that are killing people on urban streets every day? You people will believe anything.

We've seen populist demagogues before. They're always decked out in flags and public circuses.

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
We've seen populist demagogues before. They're always decked out in flags and public circuses.

I don’t see that and I live in the South where supposedly this all originates. If I am walking down the street at night in a bad side of town, I am not on the lookout for out for flag wavers.

Progs are destroying Churches with no push back and you type that? White Nationalism is propaganda. Frankly they have every right to organize. Turning they cheek is not working out. Onward Christian soldier may have to take over. If it ever does.

I don’t see that and I live in the South where supposedly this all originates. If I am walking down the street at night in a bad side of town, I am not on the lookout for out for flag wavers.

Why are you walking around the streets at night, in a bad part of town? I used to walk around downtown Toronto late at night, but if I had to go east of Yonge Street, I took transit through Moss Park.

So, you made up a conspiracy theory to denigrate people with faith…nice going…do you hate puppies, and kittens too?

Forum List

Back