Study: White liberals dumb themselves down when speaking to minorities

Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.

What's the point of this thread you started Mac? I think this report is mostly b.s. Sure, academics come up with this stuff for a living. Most of them don't have much real world experience I believe. In the meantime, Blacks and other minorities will continue voting mainly democrat because republicans have nothing to offer them.
Well, as I said in post 54:
Part of me wants to give the left the benefit of the doubt (especially because I lean left) and say that it's well-meaning but operating under old rules. Another part of me believes that it cynically panders to those they feel are beneath them for political advantage. I'd guess there is some of both in there.

I see the effects of this in my own mixed-race family, and they are profound, cultural and inter-generational. This study just confirms what I've believed all along. As do some of the responses on this thread, of course.

Democrats and liberals think all blacks are stupid because they’ve been easily swayed for years. It’s why they get pissed whenever a black person votes republican.

They have to, so black Americans can understand them.

Personally, I would find it demeaning and patronizing if I were a black person or a Hispanic, and some shithead white liberal talked down to me that way.
Yep. But remember, many are raised on it, they're seeped in it from Day One. It's cultural. The condescension they get from white liberals is something they've experienced their whole lives. So it's much tougher to notice.
When lefties talk down to me (which happens often when they realize I’m not a lefty) I just confuse them with an issue beyond their own intellectual level.

That's you quoting the rightarded insult to intelligence: "The soft bigotry of low expectations".
What? That is an actual concept. How does it insult your intelligence?
So, explain, please. Mac quoted a report on a study on socializing, adjusting verbiage to a target audience.

Starting from that, how did you arrive at "The soft bigotry of low expectations"?
Because, in this instance, the "adjustment" is "dumbing down". Not, "smartening up". And it demonstrates lowered expectations, which can be a softer form of bigotry.

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
only the right wing, never gets it. i even try one liners for simplicity.

You've proven that's all you know how post. It's one thing to brag about about how smart you are, quite another to disprove it on a daily basis.
Our welfare clause is General not Common. Want to argue about it.

I've already destroyed your argument about you trying to claim welfare is actually unemployment insurance, this thread has nothing to do with that, and your phrase is meaningless, so no.
It is about equal protection of the law. Employment is at the will of either party.

Capitalism's natural rate of unemployment is public policy and Institutional, not Individual. Eminent Domain can apply, right wingers. Want to argue about it.

When you have something that relates to the topic, let me know.

Democrats embrace ignorance and stupidity. Republicans strive to encourage everyone to do better for themselves.

Last edited:
Whenever a black kid in my neighborhood enquires if something is ok to do, I just shrug my shoulders and tell them to go axe their mother.

The number of orphans in my hood have been skyrocketing recently .

You are 100% correct. Interesting you point this out because this is actually one of the arguments for why affirmative action is necessary. All of us, not just liberals, unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes

Not that you admit this are you willing to sign the pledge?

I Act On Pledge

• I will check my own biases and take meaningful action to understand and mitigate them.
  • I will initiate meaningful, complex, and sometimes difficult, conversations with my friends and colleagues.
  • I will ask myself, “Do my actions and words reflect the value of inclusion?”
  • I will move outside my comfort zone to learn about the experiences and perspectives of others.
  • I will share my insights related to what I have learned.
You white hiring managers have these bias' you don't even realize you have. That's why so many of your employees are white. Sign the pledge.

Because, in this instance, the "adjustment" is "dumbing down". Not, "smartening up". And it demonstrates lowered expectations, which can be a softer form of bigotry.

Reading the above in the context of this debate, I had the impression you don't know "dumbing down" means, nor what what "bigotry" means, because these terms make no sense. That can't be true, can it? Dialing down on the verbiage is not equal to "dumbing down", just as dialing up the verbiage isn't "smartening up", as you can see in every pompous idiot who clothes banalities in $500 word cascades. Bigotry means the unshakable conviction of one's own (usually ill-founded) opinions and intolerance toward the opinions of others. Neither term applies to that which the study researched; just your rush to judgment on Mac's coattails, based on mere "preliminary" evidence and a speculation what the participating liberals "may" have done, suggests as much to you. That in turn would suggest you believed that piffle because that's what you wanted to hear, or, as Mac admitted, the "study" just confirmed what he believed all along (#54). And he didn't even perk up writing that down.

Last edited:
Dialing down on the verbiage is not equal to "dumbing down",
But it does mean exactly that, in this case.
Bigotry means the unshakable conviction of one's own (usually ill-founded) opinions and intolerance toward the opinions of others.

And, it can mean this:

Definition of bigotry

1: obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices : the state of mind of a bigot

"Prejudices"....in this case, "I will dumb it down for you, because minorities are dumb"

You are throwing a fit for no reason.

Neither term applies to that which the study researched
Clearly they both do. You are wrong. You only provided examples of them meaning something different sometimes, which does not mean they cannot mean precisely what I assumed them to mean. In your rabid rush to jump me, you took leave of your grasp of logic.

You are also making an assumption that this has never crossed my mind, which is an error on your part. I watch liberals do this a lot. And I am a liberal...

Last edited:

Personally, I would find it demeaning and patronizing if I were a black person or a Hispanic, and some shithead white liberal talked down to me that way.
Yep. But remember, many are raised on it, they're seeped in it from Day One. It's cultural. The condescension they get from white liberals is something they've experienced their whole lives. So it's much tougher to notice.
When lefties talk down to me (which happens often when they realize I’m not a lefty) I just confuse them with an issue beyond their own intellectual level.
I can usually trigger them into sputtering incoherence in about 2 minutes.

One or two facts usually does it.

One or two facts usually does it.
We’re talking about people who can’t recognize facts. They’re sold on whatever the liberal media tells them.

Dialing down on the verbiage is not equal to "dumbing down",
But it does mean exactly that, in this case.
Bigotry means the unshakable conviction of one's own (usually ill-founded) opinions and intolerance toward the opinions of others.

And, it can mean this:

Definition of bigotry

1: obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices : the state of mind of a bigot

"Prejudices"....in this case, "I will dumb it down for you, because minorities are dumb"

You are throwing a fit for no reason.
Denial and myopia are common behaviors with fundamentalists on both ends of the spectrum.

"I can't defend it, therefore it doesn't exist."

Waste of time, at least online.

Forum List

Back