Study: Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides, according to 45-year study

Uh, yeah ... And ... :dunno:

I mean the law only applies to handguns (in the state where I reside anyways) ... But that really doesn't matter.
I haven't really ever heard anyone complain about the law personally in this circumstance ... Albeit I am sure someone could find a case where that has happened.

It should still be up to the States whether or not they want to institute the policy.
The article is correct in that it doesn't limit anyone from getting a firearm of their choice.
It doesn't make it any harder to purchase a handgun ... You just cannot walk out the store with it that day.

Of course you could go to a sporting goods store and buy a black power pistol, without a background check and walk out the store with it.
That's just in case any of you folks are contemplating suicide and don't want to wait the four days.

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

And that study is a lie......there is no way that waiting periods for legal guns saved lives by criminals.....that you believe this crap shows how dumb you are......criminals don't do waiting periods...mass shooters plan their attacks 6 months to 2 years in advance.......they can easily wait.....

And that study is a lie......there is no way that waiting periods for legal guns saved lives by criminals.....that you believe this crap shows how dumb you are......criminals don't do waiting periods...mass shooters plan their attacks 6 months to 2 years in advance.......they can easily wait.....
For the new study, Malhotra and colleagues repeated the analysis of the Brady Act’s impact and also looked at a wider timeframe: from 1970 to 2014. In that 45-year span, 43 states and DC had waiting period laws on the books for at least one year, which typically call for a delay of two to seven days.

To assess the impact of the laws, the researchers looked at the “difference-in-differences.” Basically, they compared the changes in gun deaths in states with new laws with any changes seen in states without new laws. The researchers controlled for economic and demographic differences between states, such as poverty levels, race and age breakdowns, and alcohol consumption trends.

In the 45-year analysis, they found that waiting periods slashed homicides by 17 percent and suicides by seven to 11 percent. That would work out to about 36 fewer homicides and 22 to 35 fewer suicides per year in an average state.

Next, the researchers narrowed their focus to just 1990 to 1998, when the federal Brady Act forced many states to adopt new waiting periods and background checks. They again saw a 17 percent dip in homicides from wait periods as well as a six percent drop in suicides. That works out to about 39 fewer homicides and 17 fewer suicides for an average state during that time frame.

Moron...from your own link....

Malhotra and his colleagues argue that this is not the case. They note that the 2000 JAMA study found no effect because the study mis-coded 16 states. Those states were identified as being impacted by the Brady Act even though they previously had wait-period laws on the books. “As a result,” the authors conclude, “the coding of Brady states in the study by Ludwig and Cook fails to capture all states that had preexisting waiting periods,” Malhotra and co-authors concluded.

Lolz ... I mean I could raise plenty of questions about the validity of the study, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't figure out a reason why that would be necessary.

Maybe it is just here and different elsewhere ... It's a four day waiting period for handguns only here.
But outside of the occasional joking around I haven't ever heard anyone complain about having to follow the law in question.

I am not trying to justify it, nor taking a solid position in support of the law.
I am just trying to figure out if the issue is even worth the trouble to argue with.

Have you heard people complain about it?

Uh, yeah ... And ... :dunno:

I mean the law only applies to handguns (in the state where I reside anyways) ... But that really doesn't matter.
I haven't really ever heard anyone complain about the law personally in this circumstance ... Albeit I am sure someone could find a case where that has happened.

It should still be up to the States whether or not they want to institute the policy.
The article is correct in that it doesn't limit anyone from getting a firearm of their choice.
It doesn't make it any harder to purchase a handgun ... You just cannot walk out the store with it that day.

Of course you could go to a sporting goods store and buy a black power pistol, without a background check and walk out the store with it.
That's just in case any of you folks are contemplating suicide and don't want to wait the four days.

I'm always interested in the saving lives. The NRA would love to get rid of waiting periods.

For the new study, Malhotra and colleagues repeated the analysis of the Brady Act’s impact and also looked at a wider timeframe: from 1970 to 2014. In that 45-year span, 43 states and DC had waiting period laws on the books for at least one year, which typically call for a delay of two to seven days.

To assess the impact of the laws, the researchers looked at the “difference-in-differences.” Basically, they compared the changes in gun deaths in states with new laws with any changes seen in states without new laws. The researchers controlled for economic and demographic differences between states, such as poverty levels, race and age breakdowns, and alcohol consumption trends.

In the 45-year analysis, they found that waiting periods slashed homicides by 17 percent and suicides by seven to 11 percent. That would work out to about 36 fewer homicides and 22 to 35 fewer suicides per year in an average state.

Next, the researchers narrowed their focus to just 1990 to 1998, when the federal Brady Act forced many states to adopt new waiting periods and background checks. They again saw a 17 percent dip in homicides from wait periods as well as a six percent drop in suicides. That works out to about 39 fewer homicides and 17 fewer suicides for an average state during that time frame.

Moron...just like we pointed out.....

The study doesn’t provide any clues as to how waiting periods might stifle deaths.

OK, I'll make believe you thought this through before posting....So we don't need a ban on machine guns or bump stocks etc. etc., just a waiting period...what is the ideal waiting period? does the length of waiting time determine the number of lives saved? i.e. how much time per life saved?, if a study can show that "positive only" media coverage of guns saves lives should we ban negative media coverage of them? would you back such a ban under those circumstances?

Moron...from your own link....

Malhotra and his colleagues argue that this is not the case. They note that the 2000 JAMA study found no effect because the study mis-coded 16 states. Those states were identified as being impacted by the Brady Act even though they previously had wait-period laws on the books. “As a result,” the authors conclude, “the coding of Brady states in the study by Ludwig and Cook fails to capture all states that had preexisting waiting periods,” Malhotra and co-authors concluded.

Yes they are pointing out why another study was wrong. Moron.

Moron...just like we pointed out.....

The study doesn’t provide any clues as to how waiting periods might stifle deaths.

Yet they clearly did.

OK, I'll make believe you thought this through before posting....So we don't need a ban on machine guns or bump stocks etc. etc., just a waiting period...what is the ideal waiting period? does the length of waiting time determine the number of lives saved? i.e. how much time per life saved?, if a study can show that "positive only" media coverage of guns saves lives should we ban negative media coverage of them? would you back such a ban under those circumstances?

It validates the importance of having them.

It's interesting that they don't link the study. Yes the say where it is (PNAS) but good luck finding it when you get there, no search function for specific articles/studies. :dunno:

I wonder how many lives have been saved by someone using a gun to save their life, their loved ones or even a strangers life?

I wonder how many lives have been saved by someone using a gun to save their life, their loved ones or even a strangers life?

According to the Department of Justice under bill clinton, and the Centers for Disease Control under obama.....

DOJ: 1,500,000 times a year, guns are used by armed citizens to stop violent attacks.

CDC: 500,000- 3,000,000 times a year....

If you want to get technical ... The study goes a step further in trying to count things that didn't happen ... Strong hints of Minority Report.

According to the Department of Justice under bill clinton, and the Centers for Disease Control under obama.....

DOJ: 1,500,000 times a year, guns are used by armed citizens to stop violent attacks.

CDC: 500,000- 3,000,000 times a year....

Thank you. I knew there a lot of instances, but hadn't realized the numbers were that high.

It validates the importance of having them.
and proves the folly of banning guns, if a waiting period is the answer then banning automatic weapons is completely unnecessary...not to mention validating "positive only" coverage of guns.

Forum List

Back