Sowell: The 'Trickle-Down' Lie

So, let me get this straight. It is the fault of the owner of the local fast food restaurant or Walmart, that landlords charge $1000 per month for an apartment, cell phone companies charge upwards of $50 a month, cable tv goes for $60 a month, a nice car runs $300 to $500 a month, and don't forget the must have internet connection; therefore fast food and Walmart must pay its employees top notch wages. Sorry, but that is not the way I see it. If the employee wants those "necessities", then he/she needs to earn them. Choose to work at Walmart... Don't expect to have everything you think you deserve. It really is as simple as that!

Immie

Yes...it is their fault

They have given up on paying a wage that keeps pace with the cost of living. Instead, they have transferred that burden onto the taxpayers

RW, my friend, we never agree and we don't here, but I always enjoy conversing with you. Suffice it to say in this case, that you are off your rocker.

Respectfully stated!

Immie

As you well kinow, there was a time in this country when you could graduate HS and get a job from which you could support a family. You could go into the military and come back and get a good paying job. Blue collar labor was valued and unions were around to make sure it was

Those days are gone. Career paths and entry level positions are disappearing. Even the college graduates cannot find work they can support themselves on

And yes, I blame business. They have been sucking on the Republican tit of low wages and no benefits for 30 years. Taxpayers have had to step in and make up for the standard of living that business no longer provides

Yes...it is their fault

They have given up on paying a wage that keeps pace with the cost of living. Instead, they have transferred that burden onto the taxpayers

RW, my friend, we never agree and we don't here, but I always enjoy conversing with you. Suffice it to say in this case, that you are off your rocker.

Respectfully stated!

Immie

As you well kinow, there was a time in this country when you could graduate HS and get a job from which you could support a family. You could go into the military and come back and get a good paying job. Blue collar labor was valued and unions were around to make sure it was

Those days are gone. Career paths and entry level positions are disappearing. Even the college graduates cannot find work they can support themselves on

And yes, I blame business. They have been sucking on the Republican tit of low wages and no benefits for 30 years. Taxpayers have had to step in and make up for the standard of living that business no longer provides

Maybe you should blame Congress for making everyone weak minded fools who expect to be handed everything they want on a silver platter?

Used to be we worked for what we wanted. Liberals have taught us we do not have to work for anything. They have taught us that we can have anything we want and someone else must pay for it.

Immie

Respectfully stated!

Immie

Maybe you should blame Congress for making everyone weak minded fools who expect to be handed everything they want on a silver platter?

Used to be we worked for what we wanted. Liberals have taught us we do not have to work for anything. They have taught us that we can have anything we want and someone else must pay for it.

Immie

Once again you fall back on the GOP playbook. American Workers are lazy. American Workers want things handed to them on a "silver platter"

American Workers are not lazy. They are among the hardest working in the world. They do not want "free stuff", they want decent jobs at a decent salary
American workers want to raise a family, buy a house, send their kids to college. Can you believe there was a time when Americans actually expected their children to have a better life than they had?

It is what we used to call the American Dream.

Last edited:

Respectfully stated!

Immie

Immie

I'm sure that the 70% of Harvard Graduates want free handouts.
So, how many people do you personally know who have this attitude?

Immie

I'm sure that the 70% of Harvard Graduates want free handouts.
So, how many people do you personally know who have this attitude?

Most of the far left liberals on this site preach it.

Most of the "kids" I know think they are "entitled".

It also seems those in unions believe it as well.

Do I need to find the Obamaphone YouTube video for you? We have become a nation that lives off of and expects entitlements to our own detriment.

Immie

You really want to know?

The employers

The same employers who pay wages that their workers are incapable of supporting themselves. The same employers who expect the taxpayer to provide food and low cost housing so their employees can continue to work for them

So, let me get this straight. It is the fault of the owner of the local fast food restaurant or Walmart, that landlords charge $1000 per month for an apartment, cell phone companies charge upwards of $50 a month, cable tv goes for $60 a month, a nice car runs $300 to $500 a month, and don't forget the must have internet connection; therefore fast food and Walmart must pay its employees top notch wages. Sorry, but that is not the way I see it. If the employee wants those "necessities", then he/she needs to earn them. Choose to work at Walmart... Don't expect to have everything you think you deserve. It really is as simple as that!

Immie

Yes...it is their fault

THEY (corporate executive and business owners) or POLITICIANS have transferred a burden on taxpayers?

Which is it???

Pretty sure the local sandwhich shop owner has zero ability to redistribute wealth between anyone. The meddling collectivist politicians you support? That's a different story.

Your ire is seriously misplaced.

Immie

Yes...it is their fault

THEY (corporate executive and business owners) or POLITICIANS have transferred a burden on taxpayers?

Which is it???

Pretty sure the local sandwhich shop owner has zero ability to redistribute wealth between anyone. The meddling collectivist politicians you support? That's a different story.

Any way you cut it

Business has passed on paying a wage their employees can support themselves on. Republicans support them

Americans do not want Americans to suffer

The result is...we subsidize low wages

Yes...it is their fault

Which is it???

Any way you cut it

Business has passed on paying a wage their employees can support themselves on. Republicans support them

Bullshit. Businesses pay what they have always paid...what the market will bear, what employees are willing to work for. That has not changed.

What HAS changed is the decreased purchasing power of what people earn, thanks to the Fed Reserve that your fucking central planners support. What has changed is the massive onslaught of overly burdensome regulations, healthcare mandates and minimum wage laws that limit employment in this country. What has changed is America experiencing the highest corporate tax rate in the world, all of which was brought on by YOUR guys...again, the fucking central planners that think they know what's best for us all.

Businesses CANNOT transfer wealth involuntarily. Only the meddling politicians you support do that.

Irony so thick you can eat it with a fork!

Which is it???

Any way you cut it

Bullshit. Businesses pay what they have always paid...what the market will bear, what employees are willing to work for. That has not changed.

What HAS changed is the decreased purchasing power of what people earn, thanks to the Fed Reserve that your fucking central planners support. What has changed is the massive onslaught of overly burdensome regulations, healthcare mandates and minimum wage laws that limit employment in this country. What has changed is America experiencing the highest corporate tax rate in the world, all of which was brought on by YOUR guys...again, the fucking central planners that think they know what's best for us all.

Businesses CANNOT transfer wealth involuntarily. Only the meddling politicians you support do that.

Yet business has done quite well over the last 30 years....the American worker has not
Business has profitted off the American taxpayer subsidizing their workforce

You have it ass backwards as usual. Obama is talking about Demand-sided economics, trickle-down is supply-sided economics.

So, the difference is that we give money directly to the grocer and the utilities, that is 'trickle down.' That money somehow doesn't get to anyone else? But we give it to a person, they spend it at the grocer and the utility and that is 'demand side' economics?

Does not the grocer and the utility spend the money they receive, regardless of how they receive it? Or, based on what you're saying, the grocer and the utility get the money first and they just somehow hoard it? Am I the only one who doesn't see how completely illogical the equation is here?

When I owned my business, I didn't care if the money came in the form of tax rebates or from a customer, I spent it. I didn't keep that I got from tax rebates or refunds in a pile and keep it separate. Ridiculous.

They may spend it but not on restocking what they sold!!! If the money is given to the consumer and the consumer buys groceries, the grocer has to replace his stock to sell more. That new stock has to be produced creating jobs. The grocer, as you stated, in turn spends his profit creating demand also. So giving money to the consumer creates multiple demands, whereas giving the money directly to the grocer creates less demand.

You know, I've just NEVER read anything so completely WRONG in my life, but it's not surprising. Let's stay with the grocer concept here. You say that if the grocer receives money from a tax rebate (from the government), then he doesn't spend it on restocking what they sold and therefore, no jobs OR less jobs are created? If a customer had spent the money on buying items, then of course the grocer would spend money on restocking goods, and that would create jobs!?!?!?

The money received from a tax rebate may not affect current stock levels which will need to be replenished, however, I can tell you that this money will likely go to improving the store, carrying new items, fixing broken facilities, hiring a new employee, etc. That somehow doesn't create jobs? Someone has to do the improvements, the new items come from another vendor, and any new facilities (shelves, lights, etc) are manufactured and placed into the store.

If you subsidize an activity, inadvertently you create more of it. For example, you give never-ending unemployment, a small percentage of those receiving it will be happy staying on unemployment. You have a perfect example of that in the Indian Nations. For over 50 years, you have given money and houses to people because they are simply Native American and for that money, they have to do NOTHING. What do you get? Absolutely, bottom of the barrel poverty and crippling substance abuse. And finally, finally the Nations are seeing what it is you are doing to them. The Cherokee are slowly but surely telling Washington to "kiss my ass" and leave us alone. Cherokee Nation Industries are growing by leaps and bounds. Other Nations, one in upstate New York, threw the Bureau of Indian Affairs off of their land and sent every check back to Washington. Results? Their Nation has almost 100% employment and substance abuse has taken a nose dive. After over 100 years of 'compassion' they are learning that your compassion is THE PROBLEM.

Why is it that Texas and Oklahoma are generating over 1/2 of Obama's employment numbers BY THEMSELVES? Is it because of their generous gifts to unemployed, welfare, etc? Think again sparky. Your economics is ludicrous to say the least.

Many on both sides have embraced the idea that the best thing for the nation is employment and the best way to help employment is to help the "job creators" of the world.

Supply side economic rules in American politics mostly because money gets people elected. The supply side is very important to consider but it can't be focused on to the neglect of the demand side. These days the biggest problem with the supply side is the demand side.

Yes...it is their fault

Which is it???

Any way you cut it

Business pays whatever it has to pay to get the quality and quantity of labor it needs. Nothing has changed since the dawn of civilization.

Any way you cut it

Yet business has done quite well over the last 30 years....the American worker has not
Business has profitted off the American taxpayer subsidizing their workforce

How can the taxpayer "subsidize" the workforce when every dime the taxpayer earns comes from business?

The profound idiocy of libturd economic thinking (if you can call it that) never ceases to amaze me.

Immie

Once again you fall back on the GOP playbook. American Workers are lazy. American Workers want things handed to them on a "silver platter"

American Workers are not lazy. They are among the hardest working in the world. They do not want "free stuff", they want decent jobs at a decent salary
American workers want to raise a family, buy a house, send their kids to college. Can you believe there was a time when Americans actually expected their children to have a better life than they had?

That was before liberals got control of our economy. When there are too many libturd ticks riding in the wagon, it comes to a grinding halt.

Immie

That was before liberals got control of our economy. When there are too many libturd ticks riding in the wagon, it comes to a grinding halt.
Republicans have done everything they can to hold down labor

Destroy unions, diminish benefits, relax worker protections...

All with a goal of maintaining a cheap labor force

Republicans have done everything they can to hold down labor

Destroy unions, diminish benefits, relax worker protections...

All with a goal of maintaining a cheap labor force

Unions are nothing more than organized criminal gangs. They raise their wages only at the expense of non unionized labor. Many unionized companies have gone bankrupt as a result of union extortion. GM and Chrysler are two prime examples. Republicans aren't responsible for the failure of unions.

The only lie about Trickle Down was when Ronald Reagan Told it!
Sowell says you're a liar if you're quoting Reagan telling us about 'trickle down'. Show us a link --prove him wrong. Either that or admit you posted something that was just not true.

Forum List

Back