So how will you handle a North Korean nuke strike on the US?

Their crappy missile would most likely fall apart during flight or completely miss whatever they're aiming for. But given the possibility that they actually did connect what they were aiming at, suppose they hit a large metropolitan area? In addition to the the immediate damage and casualties, what would that do to government services, banking institutions, and communications infrastructure throughout the rest of the country? What about the breakdown of order something like that might cause? Looting, rioting, burning, etc.

Hope everyone has stocked up on ammo, water, potassium iodide tablets, and Hostess Twinkies.

'throughout the rest of the country'

A single nuke would be devestating for the place it hit, but unlikely to cause any real problems in the rest of the country- except for the fallout.

Government services would continue- even if DC were hit. Banking institutions would continue even if New York were hit.

Wouldn't be pretty- but the United States is bigger than a single nuke. And of course it would immediately put America on a total war footing- with massive government spending and massive government employment.

What is the difference between Liberals and Conservatives?

Just look at this thread- Conservative after Conservative hoping for the death of Americans......

It would be pretty unreal if North Korea fired a nuke and it wasn't shot down by the U.S. from South Korea, Japan, warships, missile defense from Alaska, and finally missile defense from California. That's a whole lot of chances to shoot it down.
And what if it was shot down? More sanctions?
A missile attack would be responded to in kind before their missile reached our airspace. The destruction of their country would be quite a "sanction", wouldn't it?

Regardless of politics and partisanship..we are ALL americans and if you hurt one of us..you hurt ALL of us. At least, that is how its supposed to be.
That's how it used to be, but the left hates America and any American that supports the Constitution.

It wasn't leftists lining up on 9/12
Fuck you. The country stood as one on 9/12.

No - your father and I never crossed paths. Remember, the missile install was in 2004. However, assuming the commander's home is still the same one, I probably drank brandy in that house.

As for the rest ... believe as you will. I spent my 20 years serving in the military, and 25 years as an engineer/CEO for systems development, so you can be assured I have the utmost respect for my fellow soldiers. Pointing out the limitations of a system, as well as the failure of most to understand the technical intricacies of missile system development hardly qualifies as disrespect.

... you really think it hasn't been improved since 2004? HA!

My father served 36 years in Alaska so you may have crossed paths with him, he recently "retired" and moved out of state (though he "officially" had to [ret] from military to both advise Murkowski [Sr] and run the youth academy. Now he's a volunteer police officer.) We lived in Eagle River, in a home that was custom built for them in uhm '84 I suppose, long before he was even a 2 star.

Anyway, he's after your time apparently. He oversaw upgrades to missile defense up here, and was "in on those" before he even took command of Space Missile Defense, or Fort Rich for that matter:

Part of one of my father's speeches/discussions/updates with the press on the subject (this one was in 2006):

He said Alaska's Army Guard forces would be working with components from other states that will comprise additional aspects of the brigade combat team, including a Guam infantry battalion and an Indiana reconnaissance, surveillance, target and acquisition unit, which is currently deployed to Iraq. "It's not uncommon to have split states in the National Guard in larger units that already exist in other states," he said. "We have it already with one of our units that's split between California and Alaska." He said the transformation is necessary for state Army Guard forces to be ready, relevant and successful. "We were equipped for the Cold War and actually became a legacy force as the rest of the world moved forward in technology," he said. He said the approximate size of the Alaska Army National Guard's forces will remain the same, but will integrate new technology, equipment and units, to include a military police force, which has previously not been utilized in the state.

He said the addition of land to mobile communication systems and satellite-based tracking equipment will create forces more in tune with the rest of the nation's Army forces. "The threat requires that capability today on the battlefield to keep the superior fighting edge and the ability to win America's wars," he said. "Amazingly in our structure, we are very limited in communications available on the modern battlefield today - digitized radios, digitized locator systems." He said it's necessary to incorporate modern fighting equipment to be prepared against enemy forces that are continually working to gain the technological edge. "Multiple countries turn out technology every day that's available on the market," he said. "If you're going to decisively win, you need to have the tactical advantage and that comes through not only the training and the soldiers, but absolutely the equipment and the hardware you give them."

"The Army is so sophisticated and the weapons we use are so sophisticated, you have to be able to read the instructions, comprehend it and you have to have the ability, even in the infantry, to act independently," he said. "There's a lot of mental dexterity involved in being in the armed forces today." He said the state's Army Guard units have slowly begun restructuring to allow them to take the form if not the name of the 207th Infantry Brigade Combat Team one year prior to its September 2008 standup date. Taking on the configuration of the brigade combat team in advance will allow soldiers to become familiar with new equipment and force structure and gain the necessary training prior to coming fully online, he said. All of which he said takes the Alaska Army National Guard up to the next level of service and ability.

"We say kind of in-house, 'Stay the same and become a historical reenactment unit,'" he said. "We would have looked great in our beaver hats and our mukluks, but the rest of the services would have passed us by in terms of their relevance, their resources and the accessibility to be a part of the total Army or the total Guard." (~chortles~ Even worse, I haz pictures of him in a wet suit and Minnie Mouse ears. On stand-by for later blackmail :badgrin:)

...so they upgraded stuff (I guess?) shortly after you left [the state]? I believe it was started in 06 and completed in 09. All I know is that my Father told me straight up not to worry about [Russia at the time] nuking us because he was damn sure they wouldn't be able to hit us. I basically have no emotions (synesthesia), so it wasn't like he was "comforting me" or "trying to calm me down," he was just telling me how it was.

I really have no reason to question him, my father was never one to "lie" about shit, regardless of what trauma it caused; when I spoke to him during my mother's heart attack "episode" (I suppose this was 10-15 years ago now) his first words were: "She's tits up again." (She "died" four times in the hospital.) I mean I'm a "heartless bitch" with limited sympathy/empathy, but even I know /that's/ fucked up lol

Did I somehow mislead you to believe that I haven't been involved in missile defense since my time in Alaska? When I got back from AK, I was stationed at Space Division in LA (3 years), transitioned to a contractor when I retired, and started my own company shortly thereafter. I served as consultant engineer for SD for 4 years, and then moved to Colorado to work with US, AF, and Army Space Commands. So, yes, I am VERY familiar with missile defense capabilities.

You would think that the progressives on this forum would be happy if N. Korea manages to land a couple of nukes on the U.S. They could add it to the list of things Mueller can investigate.

They are, of course, the masters of unintended consequences. A hit or two on the west coast will eliminate the lead they have in the popular vote and seeing how that is the only thing they have going for them.....well......

Trump supporters will likely cheer.
Do you have an example of that ever happening after the US has been attacked? Provide links please.
Post #14
You can hardly blame all Trump supporters for one man's comments. That aside, he wouldn't cheer if we were attacked; hes just saying that to piss someone off.
Could I possibly have been doing the same? Spare me your faux outrage next time.

It would be pretty unreal if North Korea fired a nuke and it wasn't shot down by the U.S. from South Korea, Japan, warships, missile defense from Alaska, and finally missile defense from California. That's a whole lot of chances to shoot it down.
Since virtually none of those are deployed, are you willing to withstand the cost for further development and production of those military assets? What do you propose to cut to pay for them?

Well the THADD missile defense system IS in South Korea. Japan does have missile defense systems. The US DOES have Aegis missile defense vessels. Alaska DOES have missile defense systems. California DOES have missile defense systems.

And you just states that virtually none of those are deployed...
"have" and "deployed" are two distinctly different operational conditions. Check it out.

Since virtually none of those are deployed, are you willing to withstand the cost for further development and production of those military assets? What do you propose to cut to pay for them?

Well the THADD missile defense system IS in South Korea. Japan does have missile defense systems. The US DOES have Aegis missile defense vessels. Alaska DOES have missile defense systems. California DOES have missile defense systems.

And you just states that virtually none of those are deployed...
"have" and "deployed" are two distinctly different operational conditions. Check it out.

So they are just sitting in someone's garage collecting dust? The THADD missiles ARE deployed in South Korea. Japan DOES have missile defense systems. The Navy DOES have ships with Aegis missile defense on them. So that leaves Alaska and California. So you are saying that Alaska and California don't have active missile defense systems?

As for Alaska... in an article from 2013:

"In the remote Alaska wilderness, some 3,800 miles from Pyongyang, North Korea, the United States' last line of defense against a nuclear warhead from North Korea or Iran stands ready to attack.

Fort Greely, Alaska, a World War II-era Army base that was reopened in 2004, is America's last chance to shoot down a missile from overseas that could be carrying a nuclear weapon. Its underground steel and concrete silos house 26 missile interceptors that have, in tests, a 50 percent success rate."

Alaska Fort Last Defense Against North Korea Nukes

And... there was another place I didn't talk about, THADD missiles in Guam. But apparently missile defense systems are deployed in California...

"The Defense Department announced in March 2013 that it would augment the ground-based midcourse defense (GMD) system in Alaska and California, which is designed to protect the United States against limited, long-range missile strikes from North Korea and Iran, by increasing the number of interceptors from 30 to 44 by the end of 2017. The administration took this step despite concerns about the technical viablity of the system.

The administration also oversaw the deployment of additional regional missile interceptor and sensor capabilities to allies in Northeast Asia in response to North Korea, including the deployment of the terminal high altitude area defense (THAAD) system to Guam and South Korea and two advanced radars to Japan."

U.S. Missile Defense Programs at a Glance | Arms Control Association

And some new news from James Mattis. Apparently Trump told the DoD to ready all missile defense systems starting in December of last year.

U.S. Defense Secretary Mattis issues stark warning to North Korea

One would think that the DoD would not have to be told to ready all defence missiles. In fact, I don't believe that they have ever been anything but "ready".

Well they had some work to do, because they found out that the interceptor missiles in California and Alaska had some thruster problems that could cause them to veer off course and possibly cause serious collateral damage.

Trump supporters will likely cheer.
Do you have an example of that ever happening after the US has been attacked? Provide links please.
Post #14
You can hardly blame all Trump supporters for one man's comments. That aside, he wouldn't cheer if we were attacked; hes just saying that to piss someone off.
Could I possibly have been doing the same? Spare me your faux outrage next time.
Outrage? Please quote something I said to you that shows anger.

Regardless of politics and partisanship..we are ALL americans and if you hurt one of us..you hurt ALL of us. At least, that is how its supposed to be.
That's how it used to be, but the left hates America and any American that supports the Constitution.

It wasn't leftists lining up on 9/12
Fuck you. The country stood as one on 9/12.
I'm right and you know it.
You're far-over the rainbow right and full of shit.

Forum List

Back