Seattle NPR Station Says It Will No Longer Carry Donald Trump’s Coronavirus Briefings Live Because Of Misinformation

KUOW 94.9FM in Seattle, one of the first epicenters of the US Coronavirus outbreak, has discontinued live broadcasts of White House Coronavirus briefings due to the massive pattern of disinformation therein.

Station statement March 25 (in part):

>> After airing the White House briefings live for two weeks, a pattern of false information and exaggeration increasingly had many at KUOW questioning whether these briefings were in the best service of our mission—to create and serve a more informed public. Of even greater concern was the potential impact of false information on the health and safety of our community.

A sampling of exaggerations and false information that were not fact checked in real time:

● “Nobody knew there’d be a pandemic or an epidemic of this proportion,” President Trump said at a live White House briefing on March 19 despite warnings from the U.S. Intelligence community earlier this year.

● “You’re seeing very few empty shelves,” our listeners heard live from President Trump on March 20. Local reporting shows many stores are out of basic supplies, including hand soap.

● We’re going to be able to make the drug chloroquine “available almost immediately” said President Trump on March 19. The president claimed, incorrectly, that the FDA had fast-tracked approval of its use to treat COVID-19. There isn't current medical evidence of the efficacy of that drug in treating COVID-19.

Knowing this a very fluid situation, we will revisit this decision daily. <<

KUOW will continue to treat all opportunities for live preemption on a case-by-case basis weighing for importance, news value and immediacy of need-to-know. But be clear, KUOW and NPR will continue to cover White House briefings and share relevant information from federal government and public health sources in the format most useful to our listeners. <<

Inasmuch as broadcast licensing requires responsible operation as a public trust, this is a shining example of exercising it. As readers know the last named piece of misinformation has already led to an unnecessary death and hospitalization of a couple who followed that advice. so denying destructive disinformation the chance to damage the public is exactly the right call.

See also this related thread where TV networks did the same thing -- Dana7360

And this is all over the fact those people died from self medicating without DR approval of some POOL CLEANER??? And the President is being held responsible for their chosen misunderstanding??

Come on Puggles…...if you were sick and heard something about a certain drug or chemical that is 'PROMISING' as a treatment......and you found out some pool cleaner had that chemical in it...…..would you really ingest it???? Without doing further research or calling your DR for advice??? REALLY???????

Sure, all you dumbasses go celebrate some imagined victory while the rest of us laugh at ya

It's nice to know you and your selective reading "laugh" at a couple split up by death, his life ended, hers shattered and hanging in the balance. Must be hilarious.

At least you actually read the OP, unlike the last wackadoodle. Even if you flushed away the parts you couldn't digest.

Your whole OP is like most TDS'ers here...tl/dr cause it's all about how Orange Man Bad. OK whatever...…….but I wasn't laughing at the couple involved, I'm laughing at you and the rest that believe the crap you post that's in accordance with OMB.

No idea what "OMB" is supposed to be (Obstinately Mendacious 'Breviations?) but actually this story is about responsible broadcasting. Not sure if the general public knows this but it's illegal to broadcast a hoax.-- such as the instant chloroquine case. Now, the station (any station) could successfully make the argument that they were not in control of that hoax, but filtering the orange klown who can't be bothered to filter not only puts KUOW (YOUR station) in a safer place but protects the public from intentional Fake News.

Matter of fact the cited case of poisoning is exactly WHY it's illegal to broadcast a hoax. Harm to the public.

Rump stood at a podium and not only proclaimed it as a miracle cure complete with fake case history of "some guy" --- he falsely claimed it was approved as such. IT ISN'T. That's irresponsible, there just isn't any other word for it. So here's a broadcaster, one among several, taking the initiative to apply responsibility to a moron who CAN'T.

And I still stand by my questions to you or anyone for that matter...…...who in the hell is going to ingest pool cleaner based on Trumps comment of a chemical, that just happens to be in a toxic substance, looks promising but still needs further study?

As to the story of that couple...….I honestly question if it's even true or some made up shit.. I don't know the full story or the details of it.....and I do know people can really do some stupid stuff...…..but REALLY??????????

I have no doubt you still stand by your ignorance but I've already used my allotment of the word "obstinate" -- oops, did it again.

Unlike the Rump soiled briefings, the story of the couple in Phoenix is very real.

But as Rump himself correctly noted, he could shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and not lose a vote. He understands the power of the Cult better than the cult followers do.

You know damned well what I was referring to with OMB----Orange Man Bad....and as usual you just have to spin it to something completely stupid.

Somehow 'responsible broadcasting' has legal oversight...……...but too damn bad 'responsible reporting' doesn't.

I still take issue with the story and here is a link from another thread when the story first came out...……...

A man died after ingesting a substance he thought would protect him from coronavirus

the story has more damn holes that a 10lb block of swiss cheese...….

1. A couple in their 60's...….I'm sure has atleast some worldly knowledge about the way things work and presumably can read and decipher the difference between 'showing promise' and 'tested and approved'...…..and weren't even infected to begin with

2. She is or was in 'critical care' in the hospital...…….how the hell is she giving an interview to the press if she's that sick...…..not to mention the hospital allowing an interview????????

3. After watching the briefing, she says 'hey we got some of that, let's try it'...…...apparently she can read well enough to know that chemical was in her 'parasite treatment' she had used for her koi...…….a label that by FDA laws, probably says 'TOXIC-HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED' along with directions of contacting poison control if it is.

I could go on but won't, ...…..maybe she needs to be investigated and/or charged with her husbands murder.

I got other shit to do but you keep playing dumb and deflecting shit to match your threads narrative of TDS (and just incase you play stupid of that, it stands for Trump Derangement Syndrome)…

Them I'm sure you'll troll others threads to point out just how smart you are. Yeah, keep flip-flopping to suit yourself

KUOW 94.9FM in Seattle, one of the first epicenters of the US Coronavirus outbreak, has discontinued live broadcasts of White House Coronavirus briefings due to the massive pattern of disinformation therein.

>> After airing the White House briefings live for two weeks, a pattern of false information and exaggeration increasingly had many at KUOW questioning whether these briefings were in the best service of our mission—to create and serve a more informed public. Of even greater concern was the potential impact of false information on the health and safety of our community.​
A sampling of exaggerations and false information that were not fact checked in real time:​
● “Nobody knew there’d be a pandemic or an epidemic of this proportion,” President Trump said at a live White House briefing on March 19 despite warnings from the U.S. Intelligence community earlier this year.​
● “You’re seeing very few empty shelves,” our listeners heard live from President Trump on March 20. Local reporting shows many stores are out of basic supplies, including hand soap.​
● We’re going to be able to make the drug chloroquine “available almost immediately” said President Trump on March 19. The president claimed, incorrectly, that the FDA had fast-tracked approval of its use to treat COVID-19. There isn't current medical evidence of the efficacy of that drug in treating COVID-19.​
Knowing this a very fluid situation, we will revisit this decision daily. <<​
KUOW will continue to treat all opportunities for live preemption on a case-by-case basis weighing for importance, news value and immediacy of need-to-know. But be clear, KUOW and NPR will continue to cover White House briefings and share relevant information from federal government and public health sources in the format most useful to our listeners. <<​

Inasmuch as broadcast licensing requires responsible operation as a public trust, this is a shining example of exercising it. As readers know the last named piece of misinformation has already led to an unnecessary death and hospitalization of a couple who followed that advice. so denying destructive disinformation the chance to damage the public is exactly the right call.

So in it's place, what will they play? Golden Oldies from the Roaring 20's about how great life is?

No, this is Nation Public Radio, federally funded radical leftism. NPR is like MSNBCNN on the radio, but paid for by taxpayers.

BTW, I went to the store yesterday, only the hand sanitizer shelf was empty, even toilet paper was on the shelf (limit one, and in 8 roll packs). So the president is telling the truth, the little Goebbels of NPR are lying.

Cut all federal funds from PBS and NPR - TODAY. Let China fund them, since they are nothing but Chinese propaganda anyway.

WRONG Pothead. It's KUOW, the last three letters standing for "University of Washington" (the licensee) a single station. You should have been able to tell that from the specific frequency given in the OP but apparently you're too damn dumb. Best to stick with what you know, if you can ever find out what that is. Tailfins on old cars perhaps.

NPR is a network; KUOW is a station. And as such it's funded by its listeners, voluntarily, and there's happily nothing you can do about that.

Oh fuck off stupid. KUOW is part of the NPR network, you drooling retard.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THE STATION CHOOSES TO AIR, dickhead. This is KUOW"s decision, not NPR's. You're only digging yourself even deeper demonstrating that you're oblivious to the difference between a local station and a national network.

The way it works is NPR supplies "feeds", a station will carry that part of it that it wants and contracts to carry. This is a STATION (singular) --- not a NETWORK (collective), choosing not to carry hoax broadcasts.

The GOP keeps running for office telling folks they will defund PBS and NPR but they don't do it....Maybe Trump will do it now....if you won't broadcast the president at a time like this what good are you as a national public news service....all you are is an arm of the democrat party....and since they are so convinced he is lying shouldn't they be forced to show an example?...they are just like the libs here...."he is lying".....what lie?....."you racist"...... Buuuuaaahahahahahahaha

This is sad. Now most networks are now rethinking covering trump's briefings. They cut away from last night's briefing just after trump spewed more false and dangerous lies about the virus.

I've never seen any TV network do this. They always cover the president. This president is different. What he spews can and has already gotten people killed.

It's the best for our nation to not have trump spewing lies about this deadly virus.

I wish we had a president who didn't lie to such a dangerous extent as trump.

NPR Seattle is not going to run them live at all.
NPR gets money from me and other taxes payers. Maybe it's time to cut the funding

Not even relevant here.
Who in the fuck are you to say what is and is not relevant when the god damn subject is about NPR and I was talking about NPR you fucking nazi. If you don't like the content ignore it other than that go fuck yourself take a deep breath of Corona filled air.

>> After airing the White House briefings live for two weeks, a pattern of false information and exaggeration increasingly had many at KUOW questioning whether these briefings were in the best service of our mission—to create and serve a more informed public. Of even greater concern was the potential impact of false information on the health and safety of our community.

A sampling of exaggerations and false information that were not fact checked in real time:

● “Nobody knew there’d be a pandemic or an epidemic of this proportion,” President Trump said at a live White House briefing on March 19 despite warnings from the U.S. Intelligence community earlier this year.

● “You’re seeing very few empty shelves,” our listeners heard live from President Trump on March 20. Local reporting shows many stores are out of basic supplies, including hand soap.

● We’re going to be able to make the drug chloroquine “available almost immediately” said President Trump on March 19. The president claimed, incorrectly, that the FDA had fast-tracked approval of its use to treat COVID-19. There isn't current medical evidence of the efficacy of that drug in treating COVID-19.

Knowing this a very fluid situation, we will revisit this decision daily. <<

KUOW will continue to treat all opportunities for live preemption on a case-by-case basis weighing for importance, news value and immediacy of need-to-know. But be clear, KUOW and NPR will continue to cover White House briefings and share relevant information from federal government and public health sources in the format most useful to our listeners. <<

And this is all over the fact those people died from self medicating without DR approval of some POOL CLEANER??? And the President is being held responsible for their chosen misunderstanding??

Come on Puggles…...if you were sick and heard something about a certain drug or chemical that is 'PROMISING' as a treatment......and you found out some pool cleaner had that chemical in it...…..would you really ingest it???? Without doing further research or calling your DR for advice??? REALLY???????

Sure, all you dumbasses go celebrate some imagined victory while the rest of us laugh at ya

It's nice to know you and your selective reading "laugh" at a couple split up by death, his life ended, hers shattered and hanging in the balance. Must be hilarious.

At least you actually read the OP, unlike the last wackadoodle. Even if you flushed away the parts you couldn't digest.

Your whole OP is like most TDS'ers here...tl/dr cause it's all about how Orange Man Bad. OK whatever...…….but I wasn't laughing at the couple involved, I'm laughing at you and the rest that believe the crap you post that's in accordance with OMB.

No idea what "OMB" is supposed to be (Obstinately Mendacious 'Breviations?) but actually this story is about responsible broadcasting. Not sure if the general public knows this but it's illegal to broadcast a hoax.-- such as the instant chloroquine case. Now, the station (any station) could successfully make the argument that they were not in control of that hoax, but filtering the orange klown who can't be bothered to filter not only puts KUOW (YOUR station) in a safer place but protects the public from intentional Fake News.

Matter of fact the cited case of poisoning is exactly WHY it's illegal to broadcast a hoax. Harm to the public.

Rump stood at a podium and not only proclaimed it as a miracle cure complete with fake case history of "some guy" --- he falsely claimed it was approved as such. IT ISN'T. That's irresponsible, there just isn't any other word for it. So here's a broadcaster, one among several, taking the initiative to apply responsibility to a moron who CAN'T.

And I still stand by my questions to you or anyone for that matter...…...who in the hell is going to ingest pool cleaner based on Trumps comment of a chemical, that just happens to be in a toxic substance, looks promising but still needs further study?

As to the story of that couple...….I honestly question if it's even true or some made up shit.. I don't know the full story or the details of it.....and I do know people can really do some stupid stuff...…..but REALLY??????????

I have no doubt you still stand by your ignorance but I've already used my allotment of the word "obstinate" -- oops, did it again.

Unlike the Rump soiled briefings, the story of the couple in Phoenix is very real.

But as Rump himself correctly noted, he could shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and not lose a vote. He understands the power of the Cult better than the cult followers do.

You know damned well what I was referring to with OMB----Orange Man Bad....and as usual you just have to spin it to something completely stupid.

Somehow 'responsible broadcasting' has legal oversight...……...but too damn bad 'responsible reporting' doesn't.

I still take issue with the story and here is a link from another thread when the story first came out...……...

A man died after ingesting a substance he thought would protect him from coronavirus

the story has more damn holes that a 10lb block of swiss cheese...….

1. A couple in their 60's...….I'm sure has atleast some worldly knowledge about the way things work and presumably can read and decipher the difference between 'showing promise' and 'tested and approved'...…..and weren't even infected to begin with

2. She is or was in 'critical care' in the hospital...…….how the hell is she giving an interview to the press if she's that sick...…..not to mention the hospital allowing an interview????????

3. After watching the briefing, she says 'hey we got some of that, let's try it'...…...apparently she can read well enough to know that chemical was in her 'parasite treatment' she had used for her koi...…….a label that by FDA laws, probably says 'TOXIC-HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED' along with directions of contacting poison control if it is.

I could go on but won't, ...…..maybe she needs to be investigated and/or charged with her husbands murder.

I got other shit to do but you keep playing dumb and deflecting shit to match your threads narrative of TDS (and just incase you play stupid of that, it stands for Trump Derangement Syndrome)…

Them I'm sure you'll troll others threads to point out just how smart you are. Yeah, keep flip-flopping to suit yourself

I've never seen "OMB" before and I know how addicted to abbreviations you are but now that you spell it out it invites the perennial and never-answered question ---

WHY bad man orange?
It is after all not a color that appears in nature. Discuss.

As for the rest of your bailout here, again nothing new, good to see you're wiling to stomp on the bodies of the dead and dying, yea that yon Cult Leader may receive alleluias yet another day or whatever it us you cultists chant and drool over in your pathetic and sociopathic self-delusion.

This is sad. Now most networks are now rethinking covering trump's briefings. They cut away from last night's briefing just after trump spewed more false and dangerous lies about the virus.

I've never seen any TV network do this. They always cover the president. This president is different. What he spews can and has already gotten people killed.

It's the best for our nation to not have trump spewing lies about this deadly virus.

NPR Seattle is not going to run them live at all.
NPR gets money from me and other taxes payers. Maybe it's time to cut the funding

Not even relevant here.
Who in the fuck are you to say what is and is not relevant when the god damn subject is about NPR and I was talking about NPR you fucking nazi. If you don't like the content ignore it other than that go fuck yourself take a deep breath of Corona filled air.

Whelp, I've worked in broadcasting for decades if you want my credentials, but it's simple enough --- THE STORY IS ABOUT A SINGLE STATION, NOT ABOUT NPR.

So no, it's *NOT* a story about NPR, never was, DUMBASS. Y'all can monkey this up with Cult of Ignorance mythology all you want, doesn't change the facts.

The GOP keeps running for office telling folks they will defund PBS and NPR but they don't do it....Maybe Trump will do it now....if you won't broadcast the president at a time like this what good are you as a national public news service....all you are is an arm of the democrat party....and since they are so convinced he is lying shouldn't they be forced to show an example?...they are just like the libs here...."he is lying".....what lie?....."you racist"...... Buuuuaaahahahahahahaha

Actually, Congress allocates spending, not the POTUS. See your Constitution. Need to borrow mine?

This is a dangerous time. We have a large portion of the population who is only going to believe what they are told to believe, and who will refuse to hold the President accountable for anything.

Uncharted territory.

You must have missed the 8 years of the Oboma admin.

Actually, Congress allocates spending, not the POTUS. See your Constitution. Need to borrow mine?
When the GOP takes back the house in November he will be able to get them to do it.....

ahahahahhahahhahah = NPR !!!!!
hahahahahhaha
you lost it there when you said NPR
they are very, very anti-white, anti-Trump, anti-hetero/etc
....I used to listen to them everyday--only talk station I could get at work

NO STUPID --- KUOW in Seattle.

It's the right of all corporations to do or not do according to their best interests or their whims. They are not part of government. Of course when they come hat-in-hand to government their records will speak for them.

You of all people, if we are to believe at least part of your alleged résumé, know that not only is a broadcast station licensed in the public interest, convenience and necessity but more to the point that it's ILLEGAL for a licensed station to broadcast a hoax.

Guess you "forgot" to tell the class that. Not to worry --- I did.

Of course, KUOW, licensed to a university, is not a "corporation" anyway so weasel words wither withal.

^^^
Fake news.

The filtering thereof, yes.

Wow. Has this ever happened before in history? Drumpf is supposed to be the leader and we cant trust what comes out of his piehole.

And the media is supposed to objectively cover the news and not engage in political bias, which you guys have insisted for years they don't do
If you want to listen to Drumpf while he bullshits and cons you then go ahead. Like I said its going to be freely available on Faux news if you want to hear it. The other stations are doing us a public service by not broadcasting the crap he pulls out of his ass with no scientific backing.
The fake news is making it obvious that they are in the tank for Biden.

The fake news is in the tank for Trump. Outlets reporting the real news are showing Biden in the lead.

Quite frankly, I can't imagine that Bernie Sanders would have any better record passing his agenda than Donald Trump did in getting the Republican Party to vote for anything he supported other than tax cuts. If you want the Democratic Party to work WITH you, it behoves you to join it, other than once every four years when you want to run for President, using their money.

To "join" a political party has no meaning, unless you're literally employed by it.

Actually no one in Vermont (and some other states) even designates a party affiliation --- they simply register to vote. To "be" a "Democrat" or a "Republican" is a nebulous term without actual substance.

You know, while I don't blame Trump for those Darwin Award winners in AZ, because a person should know that just because something contains a particular ingredient, DOES NOT mean that it is safe to ingest.

However...........................I DO blame him for the suffering that is being visited on lupus patients who are now without medication because Trump said the drug worked on the virus, and now there are severe shortages of the medicine.

A 45-year-old woman with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) said she received an online message from her health care provider stating it will no longer refill her vital hydroxychloroquine prescriptions because that drug is being used to treat the "critically ill with COVID-19," the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. The letter thanked her for her "sacrifice."

Dale, who lives in the Los Angeles area and asked to only be identified by her first name, told BuzzFeed News she "started crying" upon receiving the message from her doctor's office on Tuesday. She had previously called Kaiser Permanente, a major health care network based in Oakland, about why her prescription was being denied.

It's tragic, but I don't see the difference in the two cases if they're both caused by irresponsible hoaxspeak.

The orange whore spent the last three years dodging anyone who would dare question him, even suspending the regular press briefings that have been customary for decades. Now we see his ugly, lying face every night due only to the fact that he wants to present a particular heroic image to the public. He's not worth the airtime. Running cartoons in the same time-slot would be more constructive.

More than that, what he says has already gotten people killed.

We don't need someone spewing lies that gets more people killed needlessly.

Really? Let’s see some proof. Oh that’s right , you have none. As usual. I suppose you’re going to cite the idiot in Arizona who drank aquarium cleaner and blame Trump. It’s DIMS who are getting people killed (expected from a party of baby murderers) with their blocking of aid packages.
How many died because the moron in our WH didn't take prompt action ? You're smart lantern ,you tell me

Trump took prompt action you illiterate. Travel ban. Idiots like you cried RACIST!

Linky?

By the time of Rump's selective travel ban it was already too late anyway, we had been infiltrated.

Duh.

No, they cut away because they can’t stand showing the people how good he is at his job. Especially compared to Dementia Joe.
How many Americans have died on his watch?

How's that modeling working out for you there in Mike DeWine's Ohio? How about the 3.3 million unemployment numbers?

Gosh, not too well. You all just keep losing
I'm not from Ohio.
I'm sure that Ohio is happy about that.

Possibly ecstatic.
With any luck I'll get Covid-19 and die.
Then you may rejoice.

Don't wait on my account.

I'm going to die as well, whether I get COVID or not, and probably in the next year or so.

The majority of my family is in Ohio, and I'll never be able to make a trip home to see them.

So, fuck you.
You know what I think about you BUT reading your post makes me real sad

I see Billy_Bob and JGalt "dislike" this story.

Is it inaccurate?

If so, make corrections. If not, make your case or continue to be cowards.

And as an update we add Bustball to the list of the Butthurt.

Same thing westwall -- show where the OP is inaccurte, state your counterargument, or be a coward.

I know where my bet is.

Sluggo, you're a moron, as everyone here knows.

As for the op, I have already refuted;

What the president said is true, so why are the little Goebbels at NPR lying about it? Well, to slander Trump of course.

KABC started this shit when they did close up shots of the TP aisle of a Costco in Chino Hills. Even TP aisles are back to semi-normal with only the hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes in short supply. So NPR is lying, not the president. Their stunt is 100% partisan bullshit. You know it, and love it.

Morning Pothead. So you're actually gonna sit on this board and claim that responsible broadcasting is a "stunt" based on your ipse dixit claim that a Costco a thousand miles away has toilet paper are ya?

Stay low-hanging fruity, Dumbass.

So Sluggo, you're going to actually sit on this board and claim that inducing hysteria and creating nationwide panics over things like toilet paper is "responsible broadcasting?"

Dude, you're dumb as a stump and a complete hack, but SERIOUSLY? :eek:

Show the class where ANYTHING like that took place, shitforbrains.

You should know by now, don't EVER ass-sume your fabricated bullshit won't be called out for what it is.

No, he said the democrats RESPONSE to the outbreak was the hoax.
Which is absolutely no different, since democrats were merely relaying the recommendations of experts. Notice Trump saw a threat to his re election and is now doing the things the experts suggested.

Which is bull poo, and you know it. The fact is Trump was on the case from the beginning while the Dems were poopoohing his response and calling him a racist. There is ample video evidence of these clowns talking out their asses back then, and now they are on the opposite side and trying to lay the blame off on him, and stupid twits, like you, gobble it up because you have the memory of a gnat.

“I've never seen any TV network do this.”

We’ve never had a president so dishonest, incompetent, and unfit to be president – worse than Nixon.

No, obummer was far worse, but your progressive media covered for him.

No, he said the democrats RESPONSE to the outbreak was the hoax.
Which is absolutely no different, since democrats were merely relaying the recommendations of experts. Notice Trump saw a threat to his re election and is now doing the things the experts suggested.

Which is bull poo, and you know it. The fact is Trump was on the case from the beginning while the Dems were poopoohing his response and calling him a racist. There is ample video evidence of these clowns talking out their asses back then, and now they are on the opposite side and trying to lay the blame off on him, and stupid twits, like you, gobble it up because you have the memory of a gnat.

"Bull poo"? :laughing0301:

For the wilfully ininformed:
Intelligence Agencies Repeatedly Warned Trump of a Likely Pandemic. He Ignored Them.

Meanwhile, still waiting for that basis for the thumbs-down on my report in the OP (which is now post 131).

And when I say "waiting' I mean it metaphorically since I know you don't have the stoneage. :th_waiting:
Maybe it's out there with the "bull poo" :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back