POLL : Should kids be able to sue parents for "faith healing"?

should kids be able to sue parents for faith helaing?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
The damage her parents did was before she was 18.
from OP : The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to.
Seems to me, she can still get surgery and be ok.
because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine
I know. I read it.
And they didn't cause the damage, like you implied. They just relied on delusion to fix her.
If she had died, should they have been held responsible?
Yes. But no. They should have tried, but no surgery like that comes with a 100% guarantee. So probably she couldn't win.
She only needs a transplant because of her psychopath parents.

This is why she will probably lose:

Under Idaho’s 1972 “Child Protective Act,” parents are immune from prosecution for any charges – including involuntary manslaughter and negligent homicide – if they depend exclusively on faith healing. The law states that “no child whose parent or guardian chooses for such child treatment by prayers through spiritual means alone shall be deemed for that reason alone to be neglected or lack parental care.”

So in Idaho, if you kill your kids all you have to say is it was what Jesus wanted and you can get off scot free.

from OP : The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to.

Heart transplants involve waiting lists and LOTS of money.

Obammycare sure the fuck won't cover it. The death panels will nix her in nano-seconds.

Woman who blames parents for health woes looks to shut down faith healers | Fox News

Mariah Walton has been battling to stay alive since birth because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine, and now she wants her mother and father to face justice.
The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to. The Followers of Christ is a Pentecostal and literalistic sect of Christianity that denies all forms of medical care and instead relies completely on faith and the power of prayer, beliefs that left her congenital heart defect untreated in childhood.
The case raises questions about religious freedom and medicine, a debate that played out within the Walton family two years ago when Mariah – who had neither a birth certificate nor Social Security number – threatened her father into taking her to a doctor for the first time. She learned that she was born with a hole in her heart and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and irreversible heart damage. According to medical professionals, the condition could have been corrected if treated earlier
-----
The fact is we have a first amendment. The kid belongs to her parents. Not the government or anyone else. She is 20 years old. Why couldn't she get the surgery herself?
My opinion is her parents are fuckin insane. I don't believe in kharma, but I hope it rams itself up their ass.

I voted yes, it's absolutely criminal to deny medical treatment to ANYONE due to ANY religious beliefs, and people who do should be arrested and if the person dies, they should be charged with manslaughter or even Second Degree Murder and face justice.
Nobody denied her treatment. Her parents chose an alternative, as is their right.

Sometimes the treatment is worse than the condition.

Woman who blames parents for health woes looks to shut down faith healers | Fox News

Mariah Walton has been battling to stay alive since birth because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine, and now she wants her mother and father to face justice.
The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to. The Followers of Christ is a Pentecostal and literalistic sect of Christianity that denies all forms of medical care and instead relies completely on faith and the power of prayer, beliefs that left her congenital heart defect untreated in childhood.
The case raises questions about religious freedom and medicine, a debate that played out within the Walton family two years ago when Mariah – who had neither a birth certificate nor Social Security number – threatened her father into taking her to a doctor for the first time. She learned that she was born with a hole in her heart and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and irreversible heart damage. According to medical professionals, the condition could have been corrected if treated earlier
-----
The fact is we have a first amendment. The kid belongs to her parents. Not the government or anyone else. She is 20 years old. Why couldn't she get the surgery herself?
My opinion is her parents are fuckin insane. I don't believe in kharma, but I hope it rams itself up their ass.

I voted yes, it's absolutely criminal to deny medical treatment to ANYONE due to ANY religious beliefs, and people who do should be arrested and if the person dies, they should be charged with manslaughter or even Second Degree Murder and face justice.
Nobody denied her treatment. Her parents chose an alternative, as is their right.

A crippling, life ruining alternative that may result in her death if the damage the alternative caused can't be undone. And on top of that it has destroyed the family.

So what do you think; 5 Hail Mary's, 6 or 7 Our Fathers? That should about fix it all right?

-----

not in America. We have a first amendment. And some states even adapted legislation to block this(suing parents) from happening.

What, so it's okay to just allow people to die?
She didn't die.

-----

A crippling, life ruining alternative that may result in her death if the damage the alternative caused can't be undone. And on top of that it has destroyed the family.

So what do you think; 5 Hail Mary's, 6 or 7 Our Fathers? That should about fix it all right?

Yawn. And she might have died even had she undergone the prescribed treatment. Happens all the time. So fuck off.

What it is is a 20 y.o. girl has voiced some angst, and a puke ideologue is using her to try to destroy the constitution, to end freedom. That's the beginning and end of this story.

-----

Yawn. And she might have died even had she undergone the prescribed treatment. Happens all the time. So fuck off.

What it is is a 20 y.o. girl has voiced some angst, and a puke ideologue is using her to try to destroy the constitution, to end freedom. That's the beginning and end of this story.
Wow you are nuts.

This girl is crippled for life and will probably die from this unless she is treated. Why didn't Jesus cure her? How could he let this happen?

They were Catholic?

Oh, you're just spewing bigotry.

Carry on.
Oh the Catholics own those? They cannot be used by any other denomination?

Good grief.

-----

not in America. We have a first amendment. And some states even adapted legislation to block this(suing parents) from happening.

What, so it's okay to just allow people to die?
I get that, but people have a right to raise their kids how they see fit. If their religion makes them want to deny technology or something, who are we to stop it?
It sucks for the kid, but how much freedom would someone be willing to give away for it? You give those greedy fuckers an inch, and they take a mile.

because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine
I know. I read it.
And they didn't cause the damage, like you implied. They just relied on delusion to fix her.
Yes. But no. They should have tried, but no surgery like that comes with a 100% guarantee. So probably she couldn't win.

Under Idaho’s 1972 “Child Protective Act,” parents are immune from prosecution for any charges – including involuntary manslaughter and negligent homicide – if they depend exclusively on faith healing. The law states that “no child whose parent or guardian chooses for such child treatment by prayers through spiritual means alone shall be deemed for that reason alone to be neglected or lack parental care.”

So in Idaho, if you kill your kids all you have to say is it was what Jesus wanted and you can get off scot free.
I think in our state the child would have been taken into custody and the treatment performed. We don't have a lot of .... whatever religion you call that. I don't know how parents can throw away ANY chance of treatment that would make a child healthy. It almost doesn't seem normal.

I know. I read it.

I think in our state the child would have been taken into custody and the treatment performed. We don't have a lot of .... whatever religion you call that. I don't know how parents can throw away ANY chance of treatment that would make a child healthy. It almost doesn't seem normal.
Its delusion. Just like this fool
Snake-Handling Pastor Dies From Rattlesnake Bite

Then again, liberty ends when someone else is suppressed.. In this case its the kid.. but who is the government to tell you how to raise your own children?
Yes, very complicated subject! ugh! lol

I know. I read it.
no
Then we have a fundamental disagreement.
I don't doubt it.
Fact is, we have a constitution. also, good luck proving a transplant would have 100% fixed her.

This is a civil law suit- the daughter only needs to convince a jury

I know. I read it.
no
Then we have a fundamental disagreement.
I don't doubt it.
Fact is, we have a constitution. also, good luck proving a transplant would have 100% fixed her.

This is a civil law suit- the daughter only needs to convince a jury
well, in that case, she is fucked VIA the childs protective act of Idaho.

Forum List

Back