POLL : Should kids be able to sue parents for "faith healing"?

should kids be able to sue parents for faith helaing?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Woman who blames parents for health woes looks to shut down faith healers | Fox News

Mariah Walton has been battling to stay alive since birth because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine, and now she wants her mother and father to face justice.
The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to. The Followers of Christ is a Pentecostal and literalistic sect of Christianity that denies all forms of medical care and instead relies completely on faith and the power of prayer, beliefs that left her congenital heart defect untreated in childhood.
The case raises questions about religious freedom and medicine, a debate that played out within the Walton family two years ago when Mariah – who had neither a birth certificate nor Social Security number – threatened her father into taking her to a doctor for the first time. She learned that she was born with a hole in her heart and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and irreversible heart damage. According to medical professionals, the condition could have been corrected if treated earlier
-----
The fact is we have a first amendment. The kid belongs to her parents. Not the government or anyone else. She is 20 years old. Why couldn't she get the surgery herself?
My opinion is her parents are fuckin insane. I don't believe in kharma, but I hope it rams itself up their ass.

Woman who blames parents for health woes looks to shut down faith healers | Fox News

Mariah Walton has been battling to stay alive since birth because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine, and now she wants her mother and father to face justice.
The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to. The Followers of Christ is a Pentecostal and literalistic sect of Christianity that denies all forms of medical care and instead relies completely on faith and the power of prayer, beliefs that left her congenital heart defect untreated in childhood.
The case raises questions about religious freedom and medicine, a debate that played out within the Walton family two years ago when Mariah – who had neither a birth certificate nor Social Security number – threatened her father into taking her to a doctor for the first time. She learned that she was born with a hole in her heart and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and irreversible heart damage. According to medical professionals, the condition could have been corrected if treated earlier
-----
The fact is we have a first amendment. The kid belongs to her parents. Not the government or anyone else. She is 20 years old. Why couldn't she get the surgery herself?
My opinion is her parents are fuckin insane. I don't believe in kharma, but I hope it rams itself up their ass.
The damage her parents did was before she was 18.

"doctors say"...the fact of the matter is, she might have died from the treatment, the treatment might not have worked..medicine is not an absolute and there are no guarantees.

She might as well sue them for giving her the defect in the first place.

-----
from OP : The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to.
Seems to me, she can still get surgery and be ok.

"Doctors say" people won't live every day..who live. And "doctors say" various and assorted treatments are necessary when they aren't...every day.

-----
from OP : The 20-year-old Idaho woman can only hope for organ transplants that could save her life, even though they may do little to stem the bitterness she feels toward her parents and the religious sect they belong to.
because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine

-----
because of a heart defect doctors say could have been fixed if her parents had simply trusted modern medicine
I know. I read it.
And they didn't cause the damage, like you implied. They just relied on delusion to fix her.

-----
I know. I read it.
And they didn't cause the damage, like you implied. They just relied on delusion to fix her.
If she had died, should they have been held responsible?

Aren't trnsplant pateints forever sick from their body rejectingthe organ and drugs that lower their immunity etc?

-----
I know. I read it.
no

I know. I read it.
no
Then we have a fundamental disagreement.

I know. I read it.
no
I don't doubt it.
Fact is, we have a constitution. also, good luck proving a transplant would have 100% fixed her.

-----

I voted yes, it's absolutely criminal to deny medical treatment to ANYONE due to ANY religious beliefs, and people who do should be arrested and if the person dies, they should be charged with manslaughter or even Second Degree Murder and face justice.

-----

I voted yes, it's absolutely criminal to deny medical treatment to ANYONE due to ANY religious beliefs, and people who do should be arrested and if the person dies, they should be charged with manslaughter or even Second Degree Murder and face justice.
not in America. We have a first amendment. And some states even adapted legislation to block this(suing parents) from happening.

-----

not in America. We have a first amendment. And some states even adapted legislation to block this(suing parents) from happening.

What, so it's okay to just allow people to die?

-----
I know. I read it.
Yes. But no. They should have tried, but no surgery like that comes with a 100% guarantee. So probably she couldn't win.

I know. I read it.
no
I don't doubt it.
Fact is, we have a constitution. also, good luck proving a transplant would have 100% fixed her.
That's the lawyers job. Faith healing "parents" have been convicted of murder and manslaughter before. I think the girl has a pretty good shot.

Poor girl... what a screwed up way to grow up.

Forum List

Back