Is This A Dangerous Dog?

What Should Happen To The Dog?

• Total voters
We have only been given the dog owner's side of the story. There are always 2 sides.

The stories don't match, so one of them is lying. But, the owner admitted she KNEW the dog should be muzzled.

Dog attack victim speaks out, video | Bendigo Advertiser

EARLIER, Thursday: The City of Greater Bendigo has confirmed the dog that attacked a woman earlier this week has been surrendered.

It is now at the pound with investigations continuing.

EARLIER, Wednesday: A WOMAN who was viciously attacked by a dog in Bendigo on Monday says she is having nightmares and does not know when they will stop.

Liza-Jane Purtill, 44, was visiting her mother in hospital in Arnold Street when she approached a woman and her Rottweiler walking in the street about 6pm.

She said the dog lunged at her and latched onto her right arm, dragging her to the ground.

Ms Purtill, who previously worked with aggressive dogs with a council in Geelong, said instinct kicked in.

"I knew to stop, play dead and not aggravate the dog in anyway - just basically let him have my arm," she said.

"He pulled me down, he pulled me along the concrete and the owner was saying, "let go, let go".

"He kind of let go for a second but it was enough for me to roll in my jacket to give him my jacket. He hung onto the jacket and I rolled out of my jacket and rolled up out of his way."

Ms Purtill said the owner of the dog was apologetic and handed over her contact details.

"I went up to the other side of the driveway and I said, "I am going to need your name and number".

"I said, "that is an aggressive dog it should have a muzzle on it". (She said), "yes I know it should have a muzzle, (I) couldn't get one to fit."

Ms Purtill took herself to the emergency department at Bendigo hospital and later underwent surgery to her arm.

She said she would be unable to work for a couple of weeks.

"I am a day carer - I pick up children, so I can't pick up kids when my arm doesn't work right," she said.

Ms Purtill said she wanted the dog found before "it latches onto a child".

"If it latches onto a child, the child will be dead or another adult that doesn't know what to do - grave injuries- the dog needs to be found," she said.

"(The owner) needs to be brave, contact animal compliance and give up - we're going to find the dog eventually.

"It is not right to have to dog out there."

Ms Purtill said she was unsure how long it would take to clear her memory of the experience.

"It's the same thing over and over, every time you go to sleep," she said.

"It's the attack over and over."

A spokeswoman for City of Greater Bendigo said council had made contact with the owner of the dog and investigations would continue.

Last edited:
Rotties are on the Dangerous Dog list for many insurance agencies.

Anyway...the woman that continued to walk up to the dog even after being warned, is a moron.

I had a blue Doberman many years ago. All around my house on the chain link fence, it stated BEWARE OF DOG. GUARD DOG ON DUTY, DO NOT ENTER. Evey 5 or 6 feet. BIG signs, too. Cuz I knew Blue would tear someone up that came into my yard. My landlord came over, ignored the signs and came in the gate. He got bit. He also knew he did the wrong thing ignoring those signs. He also knew in advance that Blue resided there because he gave permission for me to have him. All he wanted from me was the records showing Blue had all his shots. Which I showed him. He got stitches in his hand, but he never walked in my yard again unannounced.

The dog was only aggressive when the woman approached it, remember. It probably wouldn't have attacked anyone had she paid attention.

The dog was only aggressive when the woman approached it, remember. It probably wouldn't have attacked anyone had she paid attention.

That is the owner's story that she warned the victim. The victim said she was visiting her mother in hospital in Arnold Street when she approached a woman and her Rottweiler walking in the street about 6pm.

She said the dog lunged at her and latched onto her right arm, dragging her to the ground.

If the story is as reported, I still say both people played a role in this. The dog owner should have had the dog muzzled if she knew that he was capable of biting people. A child could have approached the dog when her back was turned easily and gotten bitten or attacked and seriously injured. If you have a dog, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure he is properly restrained (especially if you know he has a vicious nature and bites people!!!). You don't bring your dog out into public venues and assume that no one is going to come into contact with that animal. He could easily escape as well, and if he is NOT muzzled then he can bite, attack and even kill a person. If you have a dangerous weapon, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it is properly in "safety" mode when out in public!

Goodness, it is ignorant to suggest that "I have a dangerous animal. If anyone gets bit it is their fault." *eye rolly*

Last edited:
If the dog was on a leash then the woman who was told to stay back is at fault.

That is the owner's story that she warned the victim. The victim said she was visiting her mother in hospital in Arnold Street when she approached a woman and her Rottweiler walking in the street about 6pm.

True, it is just a "she said/she said" situation right now as far as I'm aware, but I still say if your dog is dangerous and you are aware of that, it is your responsibility to make sure it doesn't harm anyone or any other animals, destroying people's property, etc.

If the dog was on a leash then the woman who was told to stay back is at fault.

No, she is not at fault. If you have a dangerous animal that bites, then you put that animal in a muzzle or don't bring it out into public venues. The dog could escape, attack and kill someone. A child could approach it while you are not looking and get seriously injured. YOUR animal, YOUR responsibility.

very old bump, but im a dog trainer- the #1 rule, besides dog being on a leash and owner having dog walk close by beside or behind is NEVER ALLOW ANYONE to touch your dog- period. The dog must allow you in, not the other way around. The dog needs to come to you not you get in its space/face. Bite waiting to happen. Only about 3% or less of dogs are truly aggressive/not fearful.

very old bump, but im a dog trainer- the #1 rule, besides dog being on a leash and owner having dog walk close by beside or behind is NEVER ALLOW ANYONE to touch your dog- period. The dog must allow you in, not the other way around. The dog needs to come to you not you get in its space/face. Bite waiting to happen. Only about 3% or less of dogs are truly aggressive/not fearful.

I've got five Federal Reserve Notes that says the owner didn't even have a training collar on the dog. Or even knew what one was, much less how to use it. The dog was likely walking her.

Last edited:
So the question remains.....why is the dog being held???

It would be like someone wanting to touch your kid. You say no. They touch them anyway. Does the kid get taken away? No.
OK. I have a 5 year old little girl.

That little girl is my responsibility. Morally and legally, I am that child's guardian, period.

If I am walking down a path with my little girl and some stranger is walking the opposite way towards us, whose fault is it if the stranger is someone like Joe Biden and he suddenly tries to grab her and sniff her hair or something and she gets frightened and bites him in the face or kicks him in the balls?

Isn't it my responsibility, as her guardian and the only mentally sound adult in the scenario, to do whatever is necessary to physically put myself between them to stop that interaction from happening in the first place?

Case in point.

Granted, all it took from Sessions was a very minimal slap on Biden's hand, a gesture really, to thwart Biden and deescalate the potentially violent or at least creepy encounter, but the fact that Sessions was the adult in the room meant that nobody got hurt.

Sessions is the Biden whisperer.

Last edited:
Story around here for the last few weeks. Woman gets bitten on the arm by a pit bull, needs surgery.

Woman is walking near the hospital, sees another woman walking her dog. Dog does not have a muzzle. Woman approaches dog, and woman with dog says not to go near it, she has rescued it several weeks ago from an abusive family, does not know how dog will react.

Woman ignores requests not to approach, walks up to dog, bends over to give it a pat. Dog attacks her, biting her arm. She gets free, tells owner that dog should have had a muzzle. Woman with dog replies that no muzzle fits, and that she said not to approach the dog. Woman who is injured then says that dog is dangerous and should not be on the streets.

Woman has surgery, dog is seized by council and may yet be destroyed. Injured 'victim' previously worked with council, seizing dangerous dogs, which makes this case so ridiculous.

Who is to blame here? The stupid bitch who ignored requests to stay away from the animal, or the dog for feeling scared and protecting itself? What should happen to the dog?
I've noticed that you don't even entertain the notion that the woman walking the dangerous animal has any responsibility for controlling it in the first place.

Could you elaborate?

Have you ever heard the term "irresponsible dog owner"?

Last edited:

It would be like someone wanting to touch your kid. You say no. They touch them anyway. Does the kid get taken away? No.

Anyways, I don't think just "a bite" is enough to destroy the animal. If it was an attack, then okay, but just for a bite on the hand or arm, whatever it was?

I could use your analogy Gracie, and say kids bite other kids all the time, do we put them down? No. :lol:
That's easy to say if you own a bunny rabbit. A Rottweiller is an entirely different animal. Owning a potentially dangerous to life and limb animal like a Rottweiler comes with a responsibility, not only for the welfare of the animal, but also to the general public at large. Even if the public at large is deaf dumb blind and retarded IMO.

It's not the same thing, ChrisL.

Last edited:

OK. I have a 5 year old little girl.

That little girl is my responsibility. Morally and legally, I am that child's guardian, period.

If I am walking down a path with my little girl and some stranger is walking the opposite way towards us, whose fault is it if the stranger is someone like Joe Biden and he suddenly tries to grab her and sniff her hair or something and she gets frightened and bites him in the face or kicks him in the balls?

Isn't it my responsibility, as her guardian and the only mentally sound adult in the scenario, to do whatever is necessary to physically put myself between them to stop that interaction from happening in the first place?

Case in point.

Granted, all it took from Sessions was a very minimal slap on Biden's hand, a gesture really, to thwart Biden and deescalate the potentially violent or at least creepy encounter, but the fact that Sessions was the adult in the room meant that nobody got hurt.

Sessions is the Biden whisperer.

How cruel! Biden just about had those mini-boobs in hand, pre-arousal groin stirrings commencing, internal engorgement pumps engaged, nostrils flair and...BOOM! Sessions screws up his public fantasy time.

But it’s okay, Joe. Your staff has hooked you up tonight with several episodes of the Flying Nun and Jill’s leaving that hand lotion you like on the nightstand for you.

Forum List

Back