Former high ranking military members put Trump's threat in context.

Yet, built into the military, are rules, regulations, laws, preventing the military from commiting crimes.
So if a President orders a raid on an opponent who he says is engaging in activities that would harm the nation in an imminent manner … how is the military going to do anything but obey?

Yes. They can refuse to obey a blatantly illegal order like shooting a prisoner

It gets a lot murkier though beyond that

So if a President orders a raid on an opponent who he says is engaging in activities that would harm the nation in an imminent manner … how is the military going to do anything but obey?
Yes. They can refuse to obey a blatantly illegal order like shooting a prisoner
It gets a lot murkier though beyond that
Beyond anything blatant? Beyond anything the National Security Advisor sees? Beyond anything the Secretary of Defense sees? Beyond anything the Joint Chief of Staff sees? Beyond anything the Secretary of the Navy, Army and Air Force sees? Beyond anything the Commanding General of the Army, the Marine Corp, the Air Force sees? Beyond anything the Admiral of the Navy sees. Beyond what the regiment Commander sees? Beyond the Battalion Commander sees? Beyond what the Company Commander sees? Beyond what the Platoon Commander sees?

Beyond what the Seargent sees? Beyond what the Squad leaders sees?

While I guess you are right Lesh, we should simply blow our fucking brains out and fucking die so that that the Marxist and Democrats can have the country.

Excellent point.

But what if it was multi-gendered transsexual aliens that we found to be robotically inside Obama's body that were the puppet masters with a giant phase array hyrdrogen electric solar powered people killer on mars pointed at earth protecting him, then what could we do?

If you think you gain any credibility for your opinion because of a claim you're a vet you'd be wrong about that too. BTW, if you really are a vet, thanks for your service.
berg, the mistake you are making, in making your OP excellent, is you are attacking me, attempting to discredit me. Instead of engaging and asking what I may know as a veteran that I believe is relevant.

berg, you displaying extreme ignorance. Of course, Veterans have insights into the military that the ignorant have no idea about.

berg, there is nothing that sounds more hollow, than those who thank us for our service.

If I was in the military? Hollywood Marine here. Who knows that term other than Veterans? 2841 was my mos. Is that enough convincing? Barrow and Kelly?

Opinion? The top ranks of our military are filled with politicians. Military men that practice politics to get to where they are. After all, who appoints officers, it is congress. Who promotes officers, congress. It takes a politician to be a Commandant. Further, many men use the military as a ticket into politics.

Opinion, berg it is your opinion that there are no politicians in the military.

It is a fact, not an opinion that there are politicians in the top ranks of our military.

They were explaining the conflict officers would face between following orders from an unaccountable CIC and following the law. I guess it was too complicated for you.
So what, the military is ruled by it's own law. The Uniform Military Code of Justice. If they follow unlawful orders they are going to Leavenworth.

These "generals", if they don't see how they could follow the UCMJ, when ordered not to, they do not have the honor and integrity to be Generals. The question then becomes what we are going to restore honor and integrity to the military now that is obvious there are some leaders that have none.

I get it, your argument is what if our nation got populated by space alien transexuals using correct pronouns and the military was ordered to shoot them. Gee, you got me there.

Beyond anything blatant? Beyond anything the National Security Advisor sees? Beyond anything the Secretary of Defense sees? Beyond anything the Joint Chief of Staff sees? Beyond anything the Secretary of the Navy, Army and Air Force sees? Beyond anything the Commanding General of the Army, the Marine Corp, the Air Force sees? Beyond anything the Admiral of the Navy sees. Beyond what the regiment Commander sees? Beyond the Battalion Commander sees? Beyond what the Company Commander sees? Beyond what the Platoon Commander sees?

While I guess you are right Lesh, we should simply blow our fucking brains out and fucking die so that that the Marxist and Democrats can have the country.

Excellent point.

But what if it was multi-gendered transsexual aliens that we found to be robotically inside Obama's body that were the puppet masters with a giant phase array hyrdrogen electric solar powered people killer on mars pointed at earth protecting him, then what could we do?
That was quite a lot of word salad there asshole.

Asking the military to refuse any order is a tough thing to expect.

Only the most blatantly illegal ones will even be considered

That’s just how the milita works.

If the CinC gives an order there are few who refuse it

Do you think a nuclear launch order would be disobeyed? Do you think a local commander thinks he knows better than the president or higher ups ?

Much has been said about military not following illegal orders

Has that ever been tested?

Those Germans who were subject to that themselves would have been put into the camps had they refused those order

You are denying that generals and admirals are political? These in particular???? They offered a theory, opinion, based on conjecture. Pure politics.

You are denying this
Pardon me. I forgot how reliant you folks are on making that specious allegation.

Former President Trump is charged with conspiring to thwart the peaceful transfer of power following the2020 election. In his defense, he asserts that a doctrine of permanent immunity from criminal liability for a President’s official acts, while not expressly provided by the Constitution, must be inferred. To justify this radical assertion, he contends that the original meaning of the Constitution demands it. But no plausible historical case supports his claim.

The Constitution does not expressly confer any presidential immunity, even though it does for members of Congress in limited cases. The Court must discern whether that silence indicates that permanent presidential immunity was so integral as to need no description (as Petitioner contends), or whether it reflects an intention not to confer immunity.

That inquiry, in turn, would benefit from an examination of the historical record, including the Framers’ own statements and evidence of their views on accountability, the rule of law, and democracy. While “a page of history” may not always be “worth a volume of logic,”2 history provides valuable insight into the meaning and context of the words and principles at issue in Petitioner’s claim.

Sometimes history speaks ambiguously. But here, it speaks with surpassing clarity: The principle that a President may be prosecuted—which informed President Nixon’s 1974 pardon and President Clinton’s 2001 plea bargain—began in the beginning. As James Iredell, one of this Court’s inaugural justices, explained, “If [the President] commits any crime, he is punishable by the laws of his country.”3 The only thing novel about the case before the Court is Petitioner’s conduct, which violated a principle as old as the United States of America itself.

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/2024-04/23-939 Brief.pdf

That was quite a lot of word salad there asshole.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, Lush, you are so pissed off being made to look like a fool, you are calling me an asshole.
I got to quote that, just so people may not miss it, so they know what Lush is talking about.

Lesh: So if a President orders a raid on an opponent who he says is engaging in activities that would harm the nation in an imminent manner … how is the military going to do anything but obey?

Excellent point.

"So, what's it going to be? How are defenders of all things Trump going to throw these former military personnel under the bus?"

Got it. You don't like the idea that as experienced military leaders they see peril in the notion of a prez being able to do anything he/she damn pleases without regard for accountability or legal exposure. Their goal is to ensure the protection of the country. Trump's goal is the protection of himself. See the difference?

Strawman
Also boring.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Lush, you are so pissed off being made to look like a fool, you are calling me an asshole.
I got to quote that, just so people may not miss it, so they know what Lush is talking about.
Whatever that was it was not a response to what I posted

Pardon me. I forgot how reliant you folks are on making that specious allegation.
Former President Trump is charged with conspiring to thwart the peaceful transfer of power following the2020 election.
Trump has not been charged with whatever you are referring to. Let's start, by you actually giving us the name of the Federal Law violated, an example of name is this;

18 U.S. Code Chapter 77 - PEONAGE, SLAVERY, AND TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS​

Feel free to use the link to Cornell University, they are trustworthy in this regard.

Forum List

Back