Zone1 Mormons are fine, but I have to call BS on the golden plates story.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I've read a fair amount on the various major religions and I have to say, the story of Angel Moroni and the Golden Plates is the most suspect of all the stories I've read. Is there a Mormon out there who can better explain or defend why he or she believes these plates exist and were given to the Prophet Joseph to transcribe the Book of Mormon? This is not a knock on Mormons I have friends who are Mormons and they are very nice people and do lots of good things in the community and have good families. It's the Golden Plates story that just sounds like pure fantasy to me.

I've read a fair amount on the various major religions and I have to say, the story of Angel Moroni and the Golden Plates is the most suspect of all the stories I've read. Is there a Mormon out there who can better explain or defend why he or she believes these plates exist and were given to the Prophet Joseph to transcribe the Book of Mormon? This is not a knock on Mormons I have friends who are Mormons and they are very nice people and do lots of good things in the community and have good families. It's the Golden Plates story that just sounds like pure fantasy to me.

The story is bunkum. There is no such language as "reformed Egyptian," and Smith's translation ability was proven to be total nonsense through his faux translation of the "Book of Abraham." This document was later proven to be a funerary tract, having nothing to do with Abraham, and written more than a thousand years after Abraham lived. The silly group of toadies who claimed to have seen the golden plates have mostly been neutered through later admissions and disavowing.

People who actually think about reality have determined that given the specific gravity of gold and the length of the BoM, the plates would have had to weigh at least a hundred pounds, which is totally inconsistent with Smith's tales of him carrying them around as though it were no heavier than a conventional, paper bible.

When you TRANSLATE a work from another language, you take the original meaning, and re-state it into the target language - in this case 19th century American English. Smith didn't do that. He created a document that employs 16th century British English, just like the King James Version. But Smith didn't understand the niceties of that language, misusing Thee, Thou, and adding "est" to verbs in a helter-skelter fashion.

The "history" set forth in the BoM is totally preposterous. It mentions horses, camels, cows, sheep, none of which existed in the pre-Columbian Americas. He talks of iron swords and breastplates; again, there was no iron in these continents. Same for chariots; the wheel had not yet been discovered in pre-Columbus days. In fact, Brigham Young University has spent more than a hundred years and untold resources trying to find a single archaeological proof of the BoM. Total failure. Nothing. Not a single artifact.

Those who are impressed by little things like genetics have noted that, although Smith believed that Amerindians were the descendants of the BoM Semitic people, but there is no genetic indication that this is the case.

Those who have done even a little bit of investigation know that an early partial draft of the Book was destroyed by the wife of Smith's co-conspirator, Oliver Cowdery. Smith, fearful that Ms. Cowdery was lying, agreed to re-translate the text, but cautioned Cowdery that the text might not be the same as the original text. Why would be do this if he was actually translating, and not making it up?

Nothing against Mormons, but their religion is based on quicksand.

Joseph Smith had other problems. He wasn't just considered a polygamist, fellow Mormons at the time considered him to be an adulterer.

---The Expositor further reported that eight of Smith's wives had already been married to other men (four were Mormon men in good standing)---

When Jesus came to earth for his ministry among the Jews, he said the following:

John 10:15-16
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Here Jesus tells us that other than the sheep (the Jews) to which he came, that he had other sheep which were not of that fold. He said that that he would go to them and that they would hear his voice and hear his gospel so that there would be one fold of true believers. Where did Jesus go to other sheep who were not of the fold of those in Judea? We believe that he went among those who were on the American continent who were led away approximately 600 B.C. from Judea and brought to the American continent. The Book of Mormon testifies that Jesus did indeed visit these people and established his church among them and preached his gospel.

Ezekiel 37:15-19
15 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

We believe that the interpretation of these verses in Ezekiel 37 is that the stick of Judah is the Bible and that the stick of Joseph is the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is a history of the the posterity of Joseph who were led away from Judea to the Americas. The prophet Joseph Smith, whom we believe is a direct descendant of Ephraim, was called to bring about the book of Mormon and fulfill the above prophesy of Ezekiel 37. Today this prophesy has been fulfilled as our members and missionaries carry the Bible and the Book of Mormon together in their hands.

The Who, What, and Why of “Reformed Egyptian” in the Book of Mormon

Book of Mormon Answers

Not according to Southern Baptists. In their charter they call Mormons a cult.
Not just the Baptists. Every mainstream denomination refers to LDS as a cult. LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses are the two largest "Christian" cults. Another problem is the King James English. Why? The people weren't speaking King James English in early 1800s America.

When Jesus came to earth for his ministry among the Jews, he said the following:

John 10:15-16
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Here Jesus tells us that other than the sheep (the Jews) to which he came, that he had other sheep which were not of that fold. He said that that he would go to them and that they would hear his voice and hear his gospel so that there would be one fold of true believers. Where did Jesus go to other sheep who were not of the fold of those in Judea? We believe that he went among those who were on the American continent who were led away approximately 600 B.C. from Judea and brought to the American continent. The Book of Mormon testifies that Jesus did indeed visit these people and established his church among them and preached his gospel.

Ezekiel 37:15-19
15 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

We believe that the interpretation of these verses in Ezekiel 37 is that the stick of Judah is the Bible and that the stick of Joseph is the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is a history of the the posterity of Joseph who were led away from Judea to the Americas. The prophet Joseph Smith, whom we believe is a direct descendant of Ephraim, was called to bring about the book of Mormon and fulfill the above prophesy of Ezekiel 37. Today this prophesy has been fulfilled as our members and missionaries carry the Bible and the Book of Mormon together in their hands.

The Who, What, and Why of “Reformed Egyptian” in the Book of Mormon

Book of Mormon Answers
The letters of Paul and the Book of Acts pretty much reveal that Jesus was speaking of the Gentiles.

Joseph Smith had other problems. He wasn't just considered a polygamist, fellow Mormons at the time considered him to be an adulterer.

---The Expositor further reported that eight of Smith's wives had already been married to other men (four were Mormon men in good standing)---

Funny. Seems that all the men were adulterers if they were polygamists.

Forum List

Back