Zone1 guess which saint is Patron of the Americas?

protestants don't like thinking about Mary (or if they do, they are certainly not going to admit it!)

But it is always a good thing to think about beautiful, heavenly beings.

A virgin Mother... what a beautiful idea from God...

Thinking of her lifts me up and makes the devil seem smaller... like an undisciplined child throwing a temper tantrum

somewhere in the Word it says .. lists some lovely things ... and then says "Think on these things"

:)

Thank you for that beautiful description! As a converting soon-to-be Catholic, I am having trouble relating to the Blessed Mother in real ways, and this description is GREAT! I'll keep this in mind when I pray my rosary tomorrow. I love the vision of Her crushing the devil's skull with Her foot.

And now just wait a moment or two and someone will come into this thread whining about our preposterous belief in the Virgin Mother -- someone who easily believes that a man can get pregnant. LOL!!!

There is no need to pray through Mary or any Saints. Jesus is the door to the Father both in Prayer and in Death.

There is no need to pray through Mary or any Saints. Jesus is the door to the Father both in Prayer and in Death.
No need to pray at all. God knows what we need before we ask. Jesus also taught, "When two or three are gathered in my name...a person and Mary or any other Saint (or saint) are two or more gathered in his name.

There is no wrong way to pray and no one should disapprove of any prayer. Let's be happy and rejoice we are a community of prayer...at prayer. :)

Where does the notion of a Patron Saint come from? Is it Biblical? If so, please point it out to me.

Where does the notion of a Patron Saint come from? Is it Biblical? If so, please point it out to me.
Think on these [beautiful] things"

It is good to think about people who loved Jesus and obeyed Him and shared Him with others (the saints)

They show us the way, like a big brother

Think on these [beautiful] things"

It is good to think about people who loved Jesus and obeyed Him and shared Him with others (the saints)

They show us the way, like a big brother

We can relate to Saints as we read factual literature about their lives. I totally relate to St. Rose of Lime because I love the same things that she loved in earthly life.

It's far easier to relate to Saints than to anyone in the Trinity or the Virgin Mother.

We can relate to Saints as we read factual literature about their lives. I totally relate to St. Rose of Lime because I love the same things that she loved in earthly life.

It's far easier to relate to Saints than to anyone in the Trinity or the Virgin Mother.

That is true. People naturally tend to love or like those who are most like them (well, there are some exceptions to that.. but usually disastrous ones.. you know.. the old opposites attract scenario)

so we can better relate to other humans rather than Godly beings. In fact, that is why Jesus came to us. He is both God and man... What more could we ask for?

:)

The Bible itself says (book of Peter) that if all things Jesus did and said were written down, it is doubtful the whole world could hold all those books (paraphrase)

And as a mormon, you know that your church does not go by Bible alone... not hardly!!!!!!!!

The Bible itself says (book of Peter) that if all things Jesus did and said were written down, it is doubtful the whole world could hold all those books (paraphrase)

And as a mormon, you know that your church does not go by Bible alone... not hardly!!!!!!!!
I agree that that Jesus said much more than what is written in Bible. We believe that he has revealed much more than that. The things we do believe can usually be found in our set of scriptures or in the words of our living Prophets and Apostles. So, I don't think it too much to ask where the Catholic church has gotten its teachings of Patron Saints from. If you ask me about where I get any of our teachings and doctrines, I would show you from where if it is outside of the Bible. Is it too much to ask where the idea of Patron Saints comes from and how they are attached to certain areas?

I agree that that Jesus said much more than what is written in Bible. We believe that he has revealed much more than that. The things we do believe can usually be found in our set of scriptures or in the words of our living Prophets and Apostles. So, I don't think it too much to ask where the Catholic church has gotten its teachings of Patron Saints from. If you ask me about where I get any of our teachings and doctrines, I would show you from where if it is outside of the Bible. Is it too much to ask where the idea of Patron Saints comes from and how they are attached to certain areas?
well, you COULD take a class at a Catholic Church. They have them from Sept until Easter every year and there is no pressure to join. It's free and they have refreshments a lot of the time.. you can get to know other folks interested in learning about the Church. I can't say I know much about such things as: history of venerating saints. I just know that it has worked out for me in the past, to pray to certain saints. It's just good to have a human friend in Heaven who knows the struggles we go through

Forum List

Back