EV Bus Explodes

So why do they catch on fire if they are not volatile? Is it magic? A fluctuation in the quantum field?
I'm afraid it's your ignorance of basic science. If you stick your finger across a 600V, 120 kWh short, the burn you will receive has nothing to do with volatility (save perhaps that of your boiling flesh). You need to get smarter before you hurt yourself or someone else.

I'm afraid it's your ignorance of basic science. If you stick your finger across a 600V, 120 kWh short, the burn you will receive has nothing to do with volatility (save perhaps that of your boiling flesh). You need to get smarter before you hurt yourself or someone else.
So you are saying that battery fires are caused only by shorts? Is that your final answer?

<ahem>

The major weakness of lithium-ion batteries in electric cars is the use of organic liquid electrolytes, which are volatile and flammable when operating at high temperatures. An external force such as a crash can also lead to chemical leakage.

"For EV fires, it's been always very difficult to pinpoint the exact root cause of the fire, because it is extremely difficult to 're-enact' the fire incident with the same conditions," said Kim Pil-soo, automotive engineering professor at Daelim University.

<ahem>

The major weakness of lithium-ion batteries in electric cars is the use of organic liquid electrolytes, which are volatile and flammable when operating at high temperatures. An external force such as a crash can also lead to chemical leakage.

"For EV fires, it's been always very difficult to pinpoint the exact root cause of the fire, because it is extremely difficult to 're-enact' the fire incident with the same conditions," said Kim Pil-soo, automotive engineering professor at Daelim University.

You still haven't rectified your basic science shortcomings. NEITHER pure lithium nor lithium salt solutions are volatile. Lithium metal is combustible as all get out, but it is NOT volatile. Ask your 8th grade science teacher.

Just found that out recently...like having 1,000 giant roman candles under the bus. How fucked up is that?

Thanks but I'll stick with a standard bus as most will. :cul2:
Imagine having the EV that you are charging in your garage burst onto flames

Your whole house would burn down

There is new battery technology on tje horizon that will eliminate that threat but its not here yet

Unfortunately libs in government are forcing these firebombs on the public before they are safe

You still haven't rectified your basic science shortcomings. NEITHER pure lithium nor lithium salt solutions are volatile. Lithium metal is combustible as all get out, but it is NOT volatile. Ask your 8th grade science teacher.
Who gives a damn why lithium batteries are fire prone?

Its enough to know that they are dangerous

I see you are going to keep playing a bad hand.

Who gives a damn why lithium batteries are fire prone?

Its enough to know that they are dangerous
There's no such thing as too much knowledge, particularly about things that are dangerous. Poster Ding was apparently laboring under the misconception that lighting a match near a warm Li-O battery presented a risk of explosion. It does not. Here is a short paper on gases released by cycling lithium ion batteries: ShieldSquare Captcha.

And, since the topic of this thread was the explosion of an EV battery, this is absolutely on topic. If you don't care for the topic, there is absolutely no need for you to participate.

There's no such thing as too much knowledge, particularly about things that are dangerous. Poster Ding was apparently laboring under the misconception that lighting a match near a warm Li-O battery presented a risk of explosion. It does not. Here is a short paper on gases released by cycling lithium ion batteries: ShieldSquare Captcha.

And, since the topic of this thread was the explosion of an EV battery, this is absolutely on topic. If you don't care for the topic, there is absolutely no need for you to participate.
The only thing I care about is that EV’s with the lithium ion batteries are a fire hazard

The left is pushing a technology that is not safe

The only thing I care about is that EV’s with the lithium ion batteries are a fire hazard

The data clearly show that gasoline fueled vehicles suffer orders of magnitude more fires than EVs. See articles such as https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-... cars were involved,some logic to the results. "Hybrid-powered cars were involved in about 3,475 fires per every 100,000 sold. Gasoline-powered cars, about 1,530. Electric vehicles (EVs) saw just 25 fires per 100,000 sold."

EVs are significantly safer than the cars we've been driving for the last hundred years. So, please get your head on straight.

No. I was never under that impression. That was all in your head.

Pssst, there's probably a lithium battery in your phone and probably one in the computer you are currently using.

The Left has really done you dirty it seems.

<ahem>

Li batteries do contain volatile electrolytes and work is underway to reduce the flammability of the electrolyte without negatively impacting the electrochemical behavior.

Right now EV's are an up-and-coming technology. Arguably battery technology is going to be the next huge area of development. It's been ongoing for years now and there appear to be some difficulties. But that's what makes this kind of a cool time to be alive.

Imagine the days when gasoline cars first showed up. People were being killed or terrified of being hit by these things and they were so much worse than the trusty horse which had been around since time immemorial.

And once established cars were still ridiculously dangerous things to drive. Few if any safety equipment was available let alone standard.

We are moving forward. This change HAS to happen for a number of reasons, not the least is resource levels but also climate (for those people who understand sufficient science to know it isn't just a sham). When you find yourself on your porch only pointing out the dangers of those new fangled whatcha-ma-callits you are probably on the downslope of history.

And I'm not even dismissing the fact that yes, Li ion batteries CAN be dangerous. Sure 'nuff. Not gonna lie. Like having a tank full of highly combustible fluid in your car.

Pssst, there's probably a lithium battery in your phone and probably one in the computer you are currently using.

The Left has really done you dirty it seems.
Yes I know

But I am not pushing as much amps through it as it will stand in order to avoid waiting 3 days for it to charge

Nor do I have to pull massive amounts out for a cell phone

But I do to move a car

Do you know that EVs need a water cooling system FOR THE BATTERIES?

A few cell phones ago, back when the batteries were still removable, I had a battery that was swelling, to the point that it would no longer fit properly in the phone. It was a long shot, but I wondered if I carefully pieced the outer cover, if it might let some gas pressure out, allowing the battery to shrink back to its proper size.

I was treated to a rather spectacular pyrotechnic display. Fortunately, I was able to get the battery out to a concrete patio, away from anything flammable, before it set me or my home on fire.

From what I observed of this cell phone battery, I have to imagine that if you scale it up to the size that would be necessary to power an electric car, and managed to set it off, the results could very easily be quite catastrophic.

I have a swollen laptop battery from my wife's laptop computer, that I've been saving with the intent of setting my camera up to record a video, and setting off in a more controlled manner than what happened with the aforementioned cell phone battery.

Li batteries do contain volatile electrolytes and work is underway to reduce the flammability of the electrolyte without negatively impacting the electrochemical behavior.

Right now EV's are an up-and-coming technology. Arguably battery technology is going to be the next huge area of development. It's been ongoing for years now and there appear to be some difficulties. But that's what makes this kind of a cool time to be alive.

Imagine the days when gasoline cars first showed up. People were being killed or terrified of being hit by these things and they were so much worse than the trusty horse which had been around since time immemorial.

And once established cars were still ridiculously dangerous things to drive. Few if any safety equipment was available let alone standard.

We are moving forward. This change HAS to happen for a number of reasons, not the least is resource levels but also climate (for those people who understand sufficient science to know it isn't just a sham). When you find yourself on your porch only pointing out the dangers of those new fangled whatcha-ma-callits you are probably on the downslope of history.

And I'm not even dismissing the fact that yes, Li ion batteries CAN be dangerous. Sure 'nuff. Not gonna lie. Like having a tank full of highly combustible fluid in your car.

There are less resources for batteries than there is for fossil fuels.

There are less resources for batteries than there is for fossil fuels.
A big reason why the cost of EVs remains relatively high. But that doesn't address the fire hazard. As I have already shown, the statistics indicate that regarding fire risks, EVs are dramatically safer than either ICE or hybrid powered vehicles. The implication of this thread's OP is factually incorrect.

Forum List

Back