Shell to close 1,000 gas stations to focus on EV charging deployment

Which does not have anything to do with this discussion. The bottom line remains, forcing something on an infrastructure that can't handle the increased demand is foolhardy in the extreme. Now, if we start building small nuclear power plants for individual cities and upgrading power distribution systems, we might be able to do it without plunging the country into darkness on a regular basis as the grid breaks down under the strain of millions of cars being charged simultaneously.

It has nothing to do with your silly propaganda peddling, true, since your fantasy is no more real than the EV scams.

Left alone, the market will reward the innovators that create more efficient, more usable products.

lol no, it won't, it's controlled by cartels who can raise and lower prices at will, same as most other commodities markets. You don't know anything about markets and how they operate, you just have slogans and fake stats you shill for corporate interests.

It has nothing to do with your silly propaganda peddling, true, since your fantasy is no more real than the EV scams.
What propaganda? Is the power grid capable of charging millions of cars simultaneously? I don't think so. We barely have the capacity to meet the demand we already have, with a lot more projected in the future.
lol no, it won't, it's controlled by cartels who can raise and lower prices at will, same as most other commodities markets. You don't know anything about markets and how they operate, you just have slogans and fake stats you shill for corporate interests.
You're fixated on the price of petroleum. That's not what I'm talking about. Go back and read what I said.

You get a more accurate context from the bloomberg piece than from the independent Tesla news reporting web site...

“In total, we plan to divest around 500 Shell-owned sites (including joint ventures) a year in 2024 and 2025.”

The London-based major said it would focus on public chargers — increasing those to 200,000 by the end of the decade compared to 54,000 currently — because customers need them more than home charging. The company will roll out these in China — where it operates more than half its current recharging stations — and Europe where demand is fast growing.''

The company didn’t give details on which retail sites it would divest.
Thanks. I had seen a graphic where most of it's electric charging stations were in China, but other article either didn't mention or I glossed over the rollout planned for China. Oh, and thanks for the copied blurb with highlighted info, as I am not a Bloomberg Subscriber.

It is of interest, just to see the direction a company like Shell is using to hedge its petroleum based corporation in future, though I still have no plans for buying an EV.

Gas and oil giant Shell is looking to close as many as 1,000 retail gas stations in the coming years, as it pivots toward deployment of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations.
Sure they will..... :heehee:

EV's are only 1% of the cars on the road in the US
I don't see that percentage increasing anytime soon.
Because buying an EV was a fad to show your on board with saving the planet.
But now its been a decade and EV sales aren't increasing by much. Even with the government pushing car makers to roll out new EV models.
People are waking up to the fact that EV's have a lot of inherent problems that gasoline cars don't have.

Well, they're going to get woke and go broke. Bad decision, IMHO.

Time to research investing in their competitors that aren't doing that.

I find it humorous that that's a big diesel generator behind that charging station.

It's like those false fronts in the old west. :auiqs.jpg:

OIP.Lu5SoXkJ5iHhu4uAKfI1hAAAAA
Yep. All "Green Energy" is a joke.

If the batteries were a tad more efficient and lighter, it wouldn't be. :dunno:
And that's likely to come about in the relatively near future. Until that happens, though, and the power grid is upgraded with more generating plants online, EV's will remain a niche market.

What propaganda? Is the power grid capable of charging millions of cars simultaneously? I don't think so. We barely have the capacity to meet the demand we already have, with a lot more projected in the future.

You're fixated on the price of petroleum. That's not what I'm talking about. Go back and read what I said.

Keep changing the topic and hope nobody notices you can't refute anything. lol

Keep changing the topic and hope nobody notices you can't refute anything. lol
This is the same subject I've been on this whole time. EV's are likely the future of automobiles, but not yet, because they're not ready for prime time, for the reasons I've listed. There's nothing to refute, just facts to deal with.

As time goes by, less and less and less of that charging power will come from fossil fuels.
That is the hope, but we have to acknowledge that those power sources are far from ready to replace fossil fuels.

Shell management are not fools.

They are after that stupid government tax payer subsidy for EV charging stations. Big bucks in government stupidity.

Just like the power companies making money on putting in solar that don't work very efficiently because the government subsidizes them.

Stupid wasteful economics but as long as the Federal government is spending more money than the GDP of all but one other country on earth then there will be takers for that money.

Just think how much money the power companies are going to make building more power plants to supply electricity to the stupid EV charging station.

We live in a nation of idiots and greedy welfare queens.

Anybody that voted for Potatohead is a moron.

That is the hope, but we have to acknowledge that those power sources are far from ready to replace fossil fuels.
They ARE replacing fossil fuels and there is more than enough potential capacity to replace all of it.

Maybe with nuclear we could do it, the others are just not reliable and continuous enough.
Nuclear is fine. Fusion even better. The wind is always blowing somewhere and we know when the sun is up and when it's down. With sufficient storage and a smart enough grid, these are not problems.

Forum List

Back