Should we be worried?

They re not...we should be seriuosly worried about the left around the world building over farmland and limiting cattle ranches...

the left is lying to you...they see climate paranoia as a way to make you obey them

Crop yields are up around the globe ... starvation today is due to warfare and greed ... the lands provide plenty of food for everyone for the cost of fossil fuel based fertilizers ... what's the humanitarian choice here? ...

Modesto loam in the California Central Valley is thought to be one of the finest soils in the world ... currently under 4" of concrete ... aka the City of Modesto ... way to go, California, way to go ... Stockton seems to have learned her lesson, soils west of town are so rich, they burn ...

Then maybe you shouldn't be arguing with carpenters on how homes are built ... just saying ...
Have you been watching the recent storm damage to houses?

I have no argument with carpenters. They are just following the building plans.

Have you been watching the recent storm damage to houses?

I have no argument with carpenters. They are just following the building plans.

I've spent the last 40 years of my life repairing storm damage ... intermixed with repairing damage caused by homeowners who think they're smarter than all engineers and construction folk from the past 100 years ...

That's right ... I'm living in a house built in 1895 ... and she's built EXACTLY the same as most any home today ... Western Platform Light Wood Framing ... the materials have changed some, but the structural engineering is the same ... the only major difference over my career is today we nail the roof to the walls ... we learned some valuable lessons from Hurricane Andrew (1992) ...

Roofs are DAMN heavy ... set it on the walls and it won't move ... are you nuts ... it would take a Category 4 wind load to blow the roof off ... and who's STUPID enough to build where there's Category 4 wind loads ... as stupid as building wherr it snows ... mutter mutter bitch bitch ...

I've spent the last 40 years of my life repairing storm damage ... intermixed with repairing damage caused by homeowners who think they're smarter than all engineers and construction folk from the past 100 years ...

That's right ... I'm living in a house built in 1895 ... and she's built EXACTLY the same as most any home today ... Western Platform Light Wood Framing ... the materials have changed some, but the structural engineering is the same ... the only major difference over my career is today we nail the roof to the walls ... we learned some valuable lessons from Hurricane Andrew (1992) ...

Roofs are DAMN heavy ... set it on the walls and it won't move ... are you nuts ... it would take a Category 4 wind load to blow the roof off ... and who's STUPID enough to build where there's Category 4 wind loads ... as stupid as building wherr it snows ... mutter mutter bitch bitch ...
Your home was decades ahead of its time.

"Balloon framing using a technique suspending floors from the walls was common until the late 1940s, but since that time, platform framing has become the predominant form of house construction."

Framing (construction) - Wikipedia

That is a fact. 120 mph roofs come off. 130 mph walls start to fail.
What are the numbers for roofs with storm bracing?

1714651331534.png

The math is simple. That's why no one builds houses to withstand extreme weather like tornadoes or hurricanes.
Well, there is a lot of money to be made from storm and other damage to homes. My late brother made a good living at it.

Your home was decades ahead of its time.

"Balloon framing using a technique suspending floors from the walls was common until the late 1940s, but since that time, platform framing has become the predominant form of house construction."

Framing (construction) - Wikipedia

Good ... you see your thinking is 100 year outdated ... thanks for making my point clear ...

Do you know why we double plate? ...

What are the numbers for roofs with storm bracing?

View attachment 940950

No H/TSPs ... this is sub-code ... where's the toe nails?, where's the gussets?, is that beam rated for local snow-loads? ... if this is your house, you need to sue your contractor ... is that 3/4" CDX? ...

Ha ha ha ... your roof isn't even nailed down ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... roofing nails/staples must penetrate through the sheathing 1/4" ...

That's tornado level. I drove through Moore Oklahoma after the F5 in 1999.

View attachment 940952

That's not an area of EF-5 damage except maybe on the far right ... see along the upper part of the photograph ... these homes are still standing, uninhabitable but standing, that's EF-3 ... in the center, homes are down but sit upon their respective foundations, EF-4 ... frankly I don't see any homes swept off their foundations ...

Se here where the debris is all mixed up and scattered about the various foundations? ... EF-5 ...

IMG_2311-800.jpeg

Remember: the Fajita Scale for tornadoes measures damage done, not wind speed ...

Good ... you see your thinking is 100 year outdated ... thanks for making my point clear ...
Other sources have flatform framing beginning in the 1930's. If your 1895 house had flatform framing it was decades ahead of its time.

Do you know why we double plate? ...
Sure.
"If you’ve ever framed a house using conventional wood-frame construction, you know that the concept of the double top plate just makes sense. The bottom plate and first top plate hold the studs to form the basic wall frame. The double top plate laps at corners and intersections, tying the walls together and plumbing and straightening them up." (Article on framing.)

Forum List

Back