Colorado baker told to bake that cake

Um, yeah, funny that. It is your business.

You still have to follow all the laws governing the regulation of bakeries.

You have to get licenses and permits.
You have to get a TAX Id number separate from your social security number.
You have to conform to sanitation and safety laws for your workplace.

And you have to follow the public accommodation laws.

This really isn't complicated.
Paying taxes and conforming to basic sanitation standards is "of course" type stuff. Handicap access is only for those with new buildings....older ones are grandfathered in...like the space I rent. (Built in early 1800's...the underground railroad for slaves and booze is in the cellar)

But I don't work for those I don't want to. I work for myself and hire those I can work with.
And if I don't want to bake a nasty cake I'm not going to bake a nasty cake. All there is to it. I'm not one to put a pie in a cake box....I'm much more up front about it all and don't really care.

My cakes are white, yellow, and chocolate. If I feel really generous I'll make one of my numerous others. My frosting are buttercream....meaning butter. I can make many flavors....blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, lemon, orange, and mint....caramel too. I don't do blueberry. I do make blueberry pies....only blueberry item other than scones and muffins.

So....I don't make pink cakes....I don't make blueberry frosting. I don't and will never make a nasty cake.

I think the next group the bakery Taliban should go after is obese people. Now there is a sin. When people come in to order a cake they have to weigh in. If they are fat they get a low fat small cake. The sin of gluttony really bothers me.
The bakery “taliban” didn’t refused service to people because they were gay….

Yeah, read that again, even the document contradicts itself:

The two qualifiers there are not the same thing. It tries to say that he wouldn’t bake a cake based on their sexual orientation, and then says that he even states that he wouldn’t bake a cake for a same sex wedding or ceremony.

In the syllabus you posted it even says:

So, granted that’s a syllabus and not the actual court opinion, the person writing it even says that Phillips told the gay couple that he would sell them other baker goods, birthday cakes, for example. So, he’s showing here that he’s not refusing to do business with gay people, just that he won’t make cakes for gay weddings.

If you can find examples of Phillips posting anti gay rhetoric on social media, or show examples of him refusing to do business with gay people…just because they are gay, not in connection with any kind of celebration or ceremony, then you would have something to go on, but barring that, it’s just a religious freedom issue.
Jesus! No, try reading what you wrote again:
he’s only refused 2 cakes, as far as I’m aware, both dealing with a ceremony.
That was the issue I was addressing.. obviously - i.e., using your shameless ignorance to rationalize 'splainin' even more shit to others, ya wordy weasel!
Try simply admitting you were wrong instead? No, never! :eek:

The bigoted bakers are hypocrites. Just like those bigots who opposed interracial marriages, they are using the Bible as a shield for their hatred.

This has nothing to do with religion. It's all about hate.
No, it’s not. I know you want to think that, because that’s the global consensus from leftists. He even stated he would have sold them a cake, just not a specially made one. The ones who are engaging in hate are the leftists who are showing their hatred for religion, anyone who practices it, and anyone who uses their religious freedoms to go against the left desire to impose their ideals on others.

It doesn’t matter how many times the baker says he would have sold them any other cake, just not one for a gay wedding. You’ll never accept that he just doesn’t agree with gay weddings and that doing something specifically for that wedding would go against his beliefs. You’ll never accept that because you don’t care about anyone else’s beliefs, only your own and the desires of all the other leftists who think the world should do what they want, and only what they want.

It has nothing to do with hate. It’s religious freedom, plain and simple.

Find me some statements, social media posts from him showing anti gay slurs, rhetoric, or his refusal to sell to other gays based on their sexuality alone (not a ceremony), then I’ll agree with you.

Jesus! No, try reading what you wrote again:

That was the issue I was addressing.. obviously - i.e., using your shameless ignorance to rationalize 'splainin' even more shit to others, ya wordy weasel!
Try simply admitting you were wrong instead? No, never! :eek:
Because I’m not wrong. He never refused to sell cakes to gay people, he refused to make a cake for a gay wedding, there’s a difference.

His defence is the ridiculous religous freedom one that he used to deny a gay couple a cake a few yesrs ago. What does the bible say about trannys ?

It seems that a common link in these bigot cases is well funded extremist laawyers. These bigots never refuse cakes for adulterers or criminals or people who eat shellfish.

They make me sick to my stomach.

The owner should refuse to bake the cake, shut down long enough to legally change the name, and open back up as a Muslim Bakery.

No way the govt / Democrats would attempt to force Muslims to go against their religeon and bake the cake.

:cool:

There is no getting rich by being a baker....

I think the Great British Bake Off should challenge their bakers to bake a gay cake celebrating Jack Phillips' unintended promotion of Public Accommodation Laws leading to their faster spread across the nation and world.

We’ll, there are different interpretations between the catholic and Protestant religions, but as I’ve said, if someone walks in and says they want a cake baked for their 5th wedding, you might have a case for hypocrisy, based on the laws of the Bible

But no baker, Catholic or Protestant, would ever say that, that's the thing. And they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they did, because that would be discriminating on the basis of religion.

Absolutely….reasonable. If a catholic has an objection to cashing out condoms, they can just put them somewhere else in the store, and not in the checkout line.

Or they can put them in the unemployment line, which they absolutely will if they are more trouble than they are worth. I mean, do you know how easy it is to fire someone?

They don’t need to Denny the customer their beer, they just need to have other drivers deliver it. In the end, the court awarded them something like $240,000 because the company violated their religious objections. The point here is, the court sided with their religious freedoms…just like they sided with Phillips.

Well, nowhere near the same. First, the company had other options, such as assigning another driver. If the two truck drivers were the only employees AND delivering beer was this company's only business AND they had been told this up front when they were hired, they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

Philips problem is that he already provides wedding cakes or specialty cakes. In the latter case, he was perfectly willing to sell the cake with blue frosting and pink dough, until he was told what it was going to be used for.

You’re right, HE has religious liberty, and asking him to use his hands and skills to assist in a ceremony that goes against his religion is something he can refuse. His business cannot refuse to sell them a cake, and he never did refuse, but he just refused to use his craft, his expression, in service to a gay wedding. It’s almost like those two Muslim truckers, who were awarded Al the case because the transport of alcohol goes against their religion. The court seemed to be ok with that, then why have a different standard when it comes to Phillips?

He has religious liberty. His business does not. His business is a public accommodation.

Going back to the Muslim Truckers, the point is, the company STILL had a contract to deliver beer to that customer. They would have been in breech of contract if the beer hadn't been delivered.

Similarly, he had an obligation as a public accommodation to provide the services he promised. Particularly in the latter case where he already agreed to bake the blue/pink cake.

Paying taxes and conforming to basic sanitation standards is "of course" type stuff. Handicap access is only for those with new buildings....older ones are grandfathered in...like the space I rent. (Built in early 1800's...the underground railroad for slaves and booze is in the cellar)

But I don't work for those I don't want to. I work for myself and hire those I can work with.
And if I don't want to bake a nasty cake I'm not going to bake a nasty cake. All there is to it. I'm not one to put a pie in a cake box....I'm much more up front about it all and don't really care.

My cakes are white, yellow, and chocolate. If I feel really generous I'll make one of my numerous others. My frosting are buttercream....meaning butter. I can make many flavors....blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, lemon, orange, and mint....caramel too. I don't do blueberry. I do make blueberry pies....only blueberry item other than scones and muffins.

So....I don't make pink cakes....I don't make blueberry frosting. I don't and will never make a nasty cake.

And if you said so up front, you wouldn't have a problem.

The problem here is that Philips said, "Pink Cake with Blue Frosting, no problem". Until he found out that the customer was a transperson celebrating her transition. Whoops.

The owner should refuse to bake the cake, shut down long enough to legally change the name, and open back up as a Muslim Bakery.

No way the govt / Democrats would attempt to force Muslims to go against their religeon and bake the cake.

So, wouldn't opening as a Muslim bakery be equally or more offensive to Jesus?
Also wouldn't give him much defense, his previous business could still be sued.

:cool:
Wouldnt it be easier to just do the right thing ?

No, it’s not. I know you want to think that, because that’s the global consensus from leftists. He even stated he would have sold them a cake, just not a specially made one. The ones who are engaging in hate are the leftists who are showing their hatred for religion, anyone who practices it, and anyone who uses their religious freedoms to go against the left desire to impose their ideals on others.

It doesn’t matter how many times the baker says he would have sold them any other cake, just not one for a gay wedding. You’ll never accept that he just doesn’t agree with gay weddings and that doing something specifically for that wedding would go against his beliefs. You’ll never accept that because you don’t care about anyone else’s beliefs, only your own and the desires of all the other leftists who think the world should do what they want, and only what they want.

You really do have a point here. I don't give a flying fuck about your bronze age superstitions that you only selectively follow. Most of you would get stoned in a week if you had to live under actual bible law, and you know it.

Point is, if I go into a place of business that is being subsidized by my tax dollars, I should be able to get the services promised, period, end of sentence. I can't refuse to serve Mormons (as much as I despise them) because that would be a violation of THEIR rights to public accommodation. Gays deserve the same consideration. If your line of work brings you into contact with people you find morally objectionable, then find something else to do for a living.

It has nothing to do with hate. It’s religious freedom, plain and simple.

Find me some statements, social media posts from him showing anti gay slurs, rhetoric, or his refusal to sell to other gays based on their sexuality alone (not a ceremony), then I’ll agree with you.

Except that sort of thing would be taken down by Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Point was he discriminated, it doesn't matter if he did so because he had religious objections or he just thinks the butt sex is icky.

Because I’m not wrong. He never refused to sell cakes to gay people, he refused to make a cake for a gay wedding, there’s a difference.

Not in the eyes of the law.

I think the Great British Bake Off should challenge their bakers to bake a gay cake celebrating Jack Phillips' unintended promotion of Public Accommodation Laws leading to their faster spread across the nation and world.

Notice none of those 20 are bakers?

But on a side note, Giada is the hottest chef ever!

Richest-Chefs-Giada-De-Laurentiis-.jpg

Wouldnt it be easier to just do the right thing ?
Violating / sacrificing your personal (religeous) beliefs, values, etc is 'doing the right thing'?

If there are other bakeries willing to do the job they should just go there.

But no baker, Catholic or Protestant, would ever say that, that's the thing. And they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they did, because that would be discriminating on the basis of religion.

Or they can put them in the unemployment line, which they absolutely will if they are more trouble than they are worth. I mean, do you know how easy it is to fire someone?

Well, nowhere near the same. First, the company had other options, such as assigning another driver. If the two truck drivers were the only employees AND delivering beer was this company's only business AND they had been told this up front when they were hired, they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

Philips problem is that he already provides wedding cakes or specialty cakes. In the latter case, he was perfectly willing to sell the cake with blue frosting and pink dough, until he was told what it was going to be used for.

He has religious liberty. His business does not. His business is a public accommodation.

Going back to the Muslim Truckers, the point is, the company STILL had a contract to deliver beer to that customer. They would have been in breech of contract if the beer hadn't been delivered.

Similarly, he had an obligation as a public accommodation to provide the services he promised. Particularly in the latter case where he already agreed to bake the blue/pink cake.
Still circulating the old tired “well he makes wedding cakes” 💩

He has NEVER made a same sex wedding cake for a heterosexual same sex wedding. If he had, and refused the homosexuals, then you have discriminatory practice.

And, he likely has (and it would be impossible to prove otherwise) made a wedding cake for a gay who married someone of the opposite sex.

Joe, you are grasping at straws. You are tired and annoying. I suggest getting a life.

It’s funny, the members of the LBGTQ who insisted the law NOT be about gay marriage, but be “same sex” are the ones fighting the idea that now, two straight have the legal right to marry. 🤦‍♂️

Nobody is fighting that. It is a strawman you made up and a stupid one at that.

Nobody is fighting that. It is a strawman you made up and a stupid one at that.

It’s not legal for two straight same sex individuals to Marry? Link please

I’ll save you some time gator. Just look at any marriage license. See the line that asks for the individuals sexuality?

Can’t find it? It’s because it’s not there.

Forum List

Back