Colorado baker told to bake that cake

I'm trying to understand a religious belief that believes in running people off. Is that really a Christian precept?
But theyre not trying to run people off. I’m sure his bakery will gladly accept anyone’s money, just as long as you don’t ask him to violate his religious beliefs.

I think the problem with all of this is that people are looking to stir things up. The baker said they don’t do gay weddings, and the gay couple, rather than say “ok, I get it” and find another baker, they took it personally, like this baker was attacking them. The gay couple essentially said “screw your religious beliefs, we demand you work for us, or we’re going to sue you!” I blame the left for this, because they spent so many years telling their followers that Christian’s hate gays and all that nonsense. It’s just not true. SOME Christian’s hate gays, yes, but that’s not representative of the majority. Some may not accept their lifestyle, and that is their right, but it doesn’t mean they hate them. But that hasn’t stopped the left from drilling that into peoples heads over the years, so now anytime someone does something even remotely contrary to a gay person, they automatically say “it’s hate!!”

It’s not the religious belief that’s running people off, it’s the left wing propaganda that fills the heads of these people that makes them want to hate anyone that doesn’t agree with them, and that makes those people want to pull away.

Again, I hear the hateful things the left says almost every day on the radio, it’s absurd, and has gotten oh so predictable now.

Funny, Joe thinks same sex means gay!
Shush, the grownups are talking.
We’ll, the point is, you want to cal out the baker for hate because he wouldn’t bake a cake for a gay wedding, I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you might be able to show hypocrisy if they violated their religious beliefs for one situation and not another. But again, different religions view marriage and remarriage differently.

Sure they do. But the funny thing is, in most cases, they don't walk away from good money if they don't approve of the marriage. As I've pointed out, there's no religious purpose to a wedding cake. In fact, it is a pagan tradition that passed on to the Christian world. (Except the Romans baked their cakes in the shape of genitals to encourage fertility.)

The meme was meant to point out hypocrisy, or at least the absurdity of having different religions at different checkout stands. I was just saying they don’t have to work in a checkout stand, if doing so might violate their religious beliefs, but, at the end of the day, they work FOR a business that does sell hams and condoms, so, if they have an objection to either, they need to let the store know so they can be put somewhere where they won’t have to deal with either.

And Philips doesn't have to be a baker.

In regards to then truckers, you’re right, if the trucking company was contracted to haul the alcohol and the drivers were the only ones available, they would have to do it, but the company, if it has other means available, has to make a religious accommodation for the drivers. The fact that the trucking company didn’t make accommodation for their religious beliefs is why the court awarded the drivers the settlement.

To be fair, by the time the case wound it's way into the courts, the trucking company had gone out of business and there was no one to collect from or defend their position. Again, an individual might have a right to refuse to work, but a company does not, once it becomes a public accommodation.

So, if someone says “we want you to haul 38,000 pounds of products to a gay pride festival” the transporter could say that then hauling to that event would be like them being in support of that event and could refuse. Kind of like the Muslim truckers raising a religious objection to hauling alcohol, the trucking company could raise a religious objection to hauling items to a gay pride event.

Not really. The trucking company had no legal reason to refuse the beer run, and they signed a contract to do so.

However, it’s even more relevant for Phillips because he would be asked to be using his own personal talents to create something for the event, and he feels that puts him closer to the event than he feels his religion allows him to be.

So why doesn't he apply the same standards to divorce or people living together before marriage? Oh, that's right, that would mean he'd never make any money selling wedding cakes.

Again, the courts saw fit to side with the truckers when they claimed religious objection, why would it be any different for Phillips, especially since he’s not refusing business to gay people, just for a gay wedding.

Because a business doesn't have a religion. They were never suing Philips personally for being a homophobic bigot, they were suing Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. - A legal entity.

Yeah, and I don’t see the problem with that. He was willing to make them a cake, until they said it was for a transition ceremony.

As I’ve always stated, if a gay person walked into his shop and asked him to bake a cake for their birthday, and he said no, because he doesn’t serve gay people, then I’d agree with you, but if someone says they want him to bake a cake for a transition party, then Phillips has religious grounds to say that he cannot work in support of such a ceremony.
Well, no he doesn't, because Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. is a Public Accommodation.

But theyre not trying to run people off. I’m sure his bakery will gladly accept anyone’s money, just as long as you don’t ask him to violate his religious beliefs.

I think the problem with all of this is that people are looking to stir things up. The baker said they don’t do gay weddings, and the gay couple, rather than say “ok, I get it” and find another baker, they took it personally, like this baker was attacking them.

Uh, he was attacking them.

So if an interracial couple went into his shop and he said, "I don't do mixed marriages", would that be okay? Even if he claimed it was part of his religious belief system?

I blame the left for this, because they spent so many years telling their followers that Christian’s hate gays and all that nonsense. It’s just not true. SOME Christian’s hate gays, yes, but that’s not representative of the majority. Some may not accept their lifestyle, and that is their right, but it doesn’t mean they hate them. But that hasn’t stopped the left from drilling that into peoples heads over the years, so now anytime someone does something even remotely contrary to a gay person, they automatically say “it’s hate!!”

Here's the problem. You think being gay is a lifestyle, like someone woke up one morning and said, "I'm going to chose to engage in activity that will make me a social pariah, get family members to shun me and experience discrimination".

Nobody does that.

But in your bizarre ass Christian world, kids are suddenly deciding to be gay because a drag queen read them a story once.

In 50 years, most of the Churches will be pretending they had nothing to do with homophobia, just like they all pretend they had nothing to do with slavery and segregation.

(Hey, did you ever wonder why there is a Southern Baptists convention? )

Uh, he was attacking them.

So if an interracial couple went into his shop and he said, "I don't do mixed marriages", would that be okay? Even if he claimed it was part of his religious belief system?

Here's the problem. You think being gay is a lifestyle, like someone woke up one morning and said, "I'm going to chose to engage in activity that will make me a social pariah, get family members to shun me and experience discrimination".

Nobody does that.

But in your bizarre ass Christian world, kids are suddenly deciding to be gay because a drag queen read them a story once.

In 50 years, most of the Churches will be pretending they had nothing to do with homophobia, just like they all pretend they had nothing to do with slavery and segregation.

(Hey, did you ever wonder why there is a Southern Baptists convention? )

If the baker refused mixed marriage wedding cake because it was against his religion? Has he done this Joe? No, your fear of this baker is incredible Joe.

And if the “mixed marriage” were two straight guys, he would deny them, just like you’ve been told a thousand times. Religion doesn’t have anything to do with the bakery not providing a certain product.

And you’ve yet to provide a link to the statute that states that all Colorado businesses must provide anything and everything that a customer demands.

So, to review, the baker never agreed to make a wedding cake for a same sex heterosexual couple, so not agreeing to make one for a same sex homosexual couple is not a discriminatory practice.

Thank you. Now everyone feel better?

So, to review, the baker never agreed to make a wedding cake for a same sex heterosexual couple, so not agreeing to make one for a same sex homosexual couple is not a discriminatory practice.

Thank you. Now everyone feel better?
He also refused to make cakes for Unicorns wanting to marry Griffons, so that makes it okay, somehow.

He makes cakes. He can't refuse them to any person based on religion, race, national origin, or sexual orientation. Period. Full stop.

He also refused to make cakes for Unicorns wanting to marry Griffons, so that makes it okay, somehow.

He makes cakes. He can't refuse them to any person based on religion, race, national origin, or sexual orientation. Period. Full stop.

Which he didn’t. He will and likely has, made wedding cake for gays involved in opposite sex marriage. But won’t make a wedding cake for same sex, regardless of sexuality.

No discriminatory practice here folks.

So your argument is that gay people should get into hetereosexual marriages they don't enjoy and can't be fulfilled in?
You are a sad and miserable fuck.

Who made that argument Joe? Do you know that the baker won’t make Wedding Cakes for a Hetrosexual same sex wedding either. Even if they are both straight? Do you think the straight couple will have a less fulfilling marriage Joe because some baker in Colorado won’t make them a wedding cake?

I don’t.

Why would one feel they were an opponent to another human being that is doing absolutely nothing to you?
If the baker does not want to bake a cake for you, why would you want the cake that he is being forced to bake for you?

Who made that argument Joe?

It's not wise to eat something that an opponent has cooked for you.

By that logic, none of us should eat anything prepared by another person.

Unless you are killing your own meat and growing your own veggies, everything you eat was made by someone else, and who knows how they feel about you.

By that logic, none of us should eat anything prepared by another person.

Unless you are killing your own meat and growing your own veggies, everything you eat was made by someone else, and who knows how they feel about you.
🤦‍♂️

Forum List

Back