CA Looking For Another Constitutional Fight

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2012
Near Magnolia, TX
CA is now requiring pet stores to only sell cats, dogs and rabbits that come from animal shelters, effectively putting pure bread breeders out of business. I understand the motivation, but I doubt it's constitutional. You can't deny citizens of a legitimate living.

California law bans pet stores from selling animals from breeders

California pet stores to be only allowed to sell rescue animals

Your thoughts?

CA is now requiring pet stores to only sell cats, dogs and rabbits that come from animal shelters, effectively putting pure bread breeders out of business. I understand the motivation, but I doubt it's constitutional. You can't deny citizens of a legitimate living.

Your thoughts?

Fucking insanity. That came up today.

Hey! I wonder if the legislators that voted for that crap..have stock in a company that delivers whatever pet you want from out-of-state. Something to think about.

Possibly investigate. ;)

Your thoughts?

Fucking insanity. That came up today.

Hey! I wonder if the legislators that voted for that crap..have stock in a company that delivers whatever pet you want from out-of-state. Something to think about.

Possibly investigate. ;)

The law took effect today. It's a done deal unless someone gets a court stay.

Most of the chains have already quit some years back. Just another case of California playing the nanny state with far, far more important things to address.

Any of them come up with a solution to their massive unfunded liability problem?

Not a chance, the politicians will look cute with the puppies and kitties all the while passing the pension problems on to the next generation of corrupt officials to pass along again.

Last edited:

Your thoughts?

I don’t see how it would be unconstitutional. The federal and local governments regulate businesses all the time. When I lived in Charlotte the state of North Carolina passed a law banning smoking in all public places. They didn’t even make an exception for hookah shops so all of the hookah shops in the state went out of business

Your thoughts?

I don’t see how it would be unconstitutional. The federal and local governments regulate businesses all the time. When I lived in Charlotte the state of North Carolina passed a law banning smoking in all public places. They didn’t even make an exception for hookah shops so all of the hookah shops in the state went out of business

It's not illegal to breed animals for profit, if it were we'd all be vegetarians. The 14th amendment requires equal treatment under the law. Their depriving breeders of a livelihood, violating their liberty to work in their chosen field and depriving pet stores of quality, sought after merchandise. Typical of CAs regulation run a muck. The commies want to dictate every facet of life, government is suppose to be there to protect liberty.

It's not illegal to breed animals for profit, if it were we'd all be vegetarians.

It's not illegal in California either. The law says pet stores can't sell them. There's nothing to my knowledge that says you can't make a private sale with a breeder.

The 14th amendment requires equal treatment under the law.

So 18 year olds should be able to buy alcohol? Men should be charged the same premium for car insurance as women? This has nothing to do with the 14th Amendment.

Their depriving breeders of a livelihood, violating their liberty to work in their chosen field and depriving pet stores of quality, sought after merchandise. Typical of CAs regulation run a muck. The commies want to dictate every facet of life, government is suppose to be there to protect liberty.

You get what you vote for. Don't live in California.

It's not illegal to breed animals for profit, if it were we'd all be vegetarians.

It's not illegal in California either. The law says pet stores can't sell them. There's nothing to my knowledge that says you can't make a private sale with a breeder.

The 14th amendment requires equal treatment under the law.

So 18 year olds should be able to buy alcohol? Men should be charged the same premium for car insurance as women? This has nothing to do with the 14th Amendment.

Their depriving breeders of a livelihood, violating their liberty to work in their chosen field and depriving pet stores of quality, sought after merchandise. Typical of CAs regulation run a muck. The commies want to dictate every facet of life, government is suppose to be there to protect liberty.

Why would anyone go to a pet store to pay a premium for a dog, cat or rabbit when they can get them directly form the shelter. The law could easily put pet stores out of business.

So 18 year olds should be able to buy alcohol?
If they're too immature to drink, they're too immature to vote or serve in the military.

Men should be charged the same premium for car insurance as women?
Why not if they have the same driving record, my wife gets more tickets than me.

Wouldn't think of it, and they'll most likely lose a couple of house seats in the next census, because many Californians feel the same way.

Last edited:
A law passed out of ignorance, which is often the case when Dems are in control. It won't reduce the number of stray animals and it won't reduce the number of pure bred dogs and cats being sold. Anybody who does research before buying a pure bred knows that pet stores often buy from backyard breeders and puppy mills because they can get a better price. Bad quality and bad genes. So even though it's a poorly thought out law (and probably unconstitutional), it inadvertently has a positive effect and hopefully will result in a decrease in the puppy mills and less suffering for the animals.

Your thoughts?

Why should I care how the people of California get there cats, dogs and rabbits?

CA is now requiring pet stores to only sell cats, dogs and rabbits that come from animal shelters,

giphy.gif

Your thoughts?

Why should I care how the people of California get there cats, dogs and rabbits?

I guess you wouldn't if you don't care about constitutional principles.

Your thoughts?

Nothing has changed. Pet stores voluntarily stopped selling pets many years ago.

Your thoughts?

It's not illegal to breed animals for profit, if it were we'd all be vegetarians. The 14th amendment requires equal treatment under the law. Their depriving breeders of a livelihood, violating their liberty to work in their chosen field and depriving pet stores of quality, sought after merchandise. Typical of CAs regulation run a muck. The commies want to dictate every facet of life, government is suppose to be there to protect liberty.

You have it all bollixed up. You don't understand the basic circumstsnces. It is not legal to run a puppy mill or a kitten mill. It is illegal. The animals are not well taken care of, badly bred resulting in sick malformed animals. They also lack basic medical care. The purpose of this law is to put the mills out of business. Reputable breeders never sell their puppies or kittens through a pet store.

The pet store doesn't sell any animal. Rescue agencies bring the animals to the store on designated adoption days. The store gets no money from the pet adoption. Yes you do pay a premium. An adoption fee in California is usually $400.00. But the animal has been fostered. You know if it is house trained, likes kids, cats, other dogs. Does it have quirks like guarding issues. The pet has been neutered and microchipped. It has received any necessary medical or dental care.

The store provides a coupon book of discounts so you get used to being a customer there. That's how they make money.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Your thoughts?

I guess you wouldn't if you don't care about constitutional principles.

I’m no legal scholar, but I can’t see the constitutional crisis on this issue. Maybe you can tell me whose constitutional right is being trampled, and exactly what that right is.

Your thoughts?

Nothing in the federal constitution really has anything to do with this.

It's up to the State legislature to figure this stuff out.

That being said the law is idiotic. I see the reason behind it, and it may be a good reason, but government shouldn't get involved in something the market can handle.

In the end, its still not a Federal Constitutional issue.

Your thoughts?

In 5 years they’ll tighten the laws further to be specific types of animals within that subgroup.

Forum List

Back