California Becomes First State to Ban Retail Sale of Dogs, Cats and Rabbits

Something like 99% of puppies sold online and in stores are from mills. This accounts for 70% of animals finding homes. Seems like a high degree of regulation, but it will help protect animals.

I don't like puppy mills or "pet stores"...everyone wants that littler dog in the window but the best dogs are the ones you save....they will return the favor over and over....
I hate heavy handed blanket laws but can live with this one....

Fantastic!
Anyone and everyone can get behind this new law in CA: pet stores can only sell cats and dogs from shelters!

I do free EDDMs (Every Door Direct Mail) for local animal shelters when then need volunteers to help walk the dogs and care for them while they try to find homes. So many cats and dogs that have to be put down each year. A heartbreaker.

So thank you California for starting the precedent that our pets have the right to be treated humanely and not like property or lawn furniture! The new law extends into other areas of pet ownership and breeders too!

California limits pet store sales of cats, dogs and rabbits to rescue or shelter animals only - CNN

I'm surprised there were any pet stores selling dogs and cats nowadays.
Here in Oregon, the mainstream pet stores gave up on that a while back.

Everyone of them that I know of, host dog and cat rescues almost every weekend.

I'm surprised there were any pet stores selling dogs and cats nowadays.
Here in Oregon, the mainstream pet stores gave up on that a while back.

Everyone of them that I know of, host dog and cat rescues almost every weekend.

That's great to hear about Oregon. I knew there were more reasons to love Oregon than I had already.

In Texas pets are treated like shit. Like farm animals. The "Houston Next Door" site for our community should be "Houston Where's My Dog?"
They are left in the backyard and then get out through a gate that's left open. I see it single every day. We've had dogs for 30 years and I've never had one go missing.

I hope like many trends from CA, this one moves east.

I saw this earlier and applaud it. I volunteer for a rescue group. We are a no kill group. We also take our cats to the various pet stores here but we screen the applications thoroughly. We also have them at the AARF house and have many with fosters. I am a major foster fail and won't ever do that again. Now I monitor the phone lines along with two others.

Our county has just made it against the law to chain your dog outside. There's a stiff penalty if anyone is caught doing it.

I saw this earlier and applaud it. I volunteer for a rescue group. We are a no kill group. We also take our cats to the various pet stores here but we screen the applications thoroughly. We also have them at the AARF house and have many with fosters. I am a major foster fail and won't ever do that again. Now I monitor the phone lines along with two others.

Our county has just made it against the law to chain your dog outside. There's a stiff penalty if anyone is caught doing it.

That's great news about your county. In Houston it's still legal.
I applaud you for volunteering for a rescue group. I lose it, can't even stand to see the ASPCA ads on TV, so I have to do things like promote awareness for local shelters.

The problem with the rescue centers (this applies to dogs) is that the VAST majority of dogs in there are some sort of pit bull mix.

I'm guessing you don't have sled dog teams or hunting hound packs in your county?

So no more pure breeds to choose from?

Gotta love liberals, they value cats more than humans.

The problem with the rescue centers (this applies to dogs) is that the VAST majority of dogs in there are some sort of pit bull mix.

That's because pit bulls are the dog of choice among lumpenproletariats. When they go to jail and/or financially tap out, that breed and mix ends up doggy detainment.

Wow, whoever made that law does know that chaining up your pets is a way to keep them from getting hit by cars, right, especially for those who may not be able to afford getting a fenced in area put together on their property.

God bless you and them and their pets always!!!

Holly

Fantastic!
Anyone and everyone can get behind this new law in CA: pet stores can only sell cats and dogs from shelters!

I do free EDDMs (Every Door Direct Mail) for local animal shelters when then need volunteers to help walk the dogs and care for them while they try to find homes. So many cats and dogs that have to be put down each year. A heartbreaker.

So thank you California for starting the precedent that our pets have the right to be treated humanely and not like property or lawn furniture! The new law extends into other areas of pet ownership and breeders too!

California limits pet store sales of cats, dogs and rabbits to rescue or shelter animals only - CNN

Idiots!

So no more pure breeds to choose from?

Gotta love liberals, they value cats more than humans.
Plenty of pedigrees. You just have to go to a breeder. A legitimate recognized breeder. Pet sales advertisers are going to get visits to see if the puppies or kitties are diseased.

I thought this was the law for at least 15 years. Pet stores have weekend adoption days put on by rescues. The animals are from shelters.

Fantastic!

A leftist cheering on MORE government control no matter the cause good or bad etc etc....How shocking. Is it a good cause? Absolutely. Is it ANY of the government's business? NO!

Any law California enacts us usually anti-capitalist and stupid. This one is no exception.
Actually since pet stores can't sell breeder's animals breeders should be able to have a brisk business now! I think Marxistfornia actually just helped Breeders LOL...certainly wasn't on purpose.

Forum List

Back