New York bans retail sales of dogs, cats, rabbits.

Why? .. :dunno:

Look into puppy mills. I don't think anyone in their right mind would support them if they knew what they're actually like.

ETA: That said, what a lot of people don't realize is that any time animals are thought of as a commodity (not just pets but for food, clothing, etc) there's going to be abuse, neglect and terrible conditions, because sadly there are people who care more about $$$ than other sentient beings.

Last edited:
any time animals are thought of as a commodity there's going to be abuse, neglect and terrible conditions

Dear, like it or not, ideas, minerals, territory, plants, animals including other men, have been thought
of as a commodity, traded, used, for all of the reasons you mention and more, abused, etc., since
the very beginning of time we climbed out of the trees to this very day---- perhaps more so
than ever. People are hominids, aggressors, defenders, territorial meat-eaters, killers,
and you can't take that out of people through any degree of forced governmental
control because that is their nature, and the governmental suppression only
ends up yet one more unjust form of aggression, abuse and force.

The best you can hope for is for each individual to evolve to that
point of realization to consider the matter and decide for each
of themselves that they are personally just above
such things for it to ever truly end.

Dear, like it or not, ideas, minerals, territory, plants, animals including other men, have been thought
of as a commodity, traded, used, for all of the reasons you mention and more, abused, etc., since
the very beginning of time we climbed out of the trees to this very day---- perhaps more so
than ever. People are hominids, aggressors, defenders, territorial meat-eaters, killers,
and you can't take that out of people through any degree of forced governmental
control because that is their nature, and the governmental suppression only
ends up yet one more unjust form of aggression, abuse and force.

The best you can hope for is for each individual to evolve to that
point of realization to consider the matter and decide for each
of themselves that they are personally just above
such things for it to ever truly end.

Yes, of course those things have been going on for a very long time...but that's neither here nor there, because if you're claiming that justifies it, that would be a logical fallacy. (Appeal to tradition)

As always, I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think there's a huge difference between actual commodities (physical objects) and considering humans or animals as commodities. I disagree that those things you mentioned are inborn traits… I think it's deeply ingrained culture and tradition, not the way we were designed, but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

But I do agree that it's not going to change by laws changing, people have to come to the realization by themselves. And they will, it is happening, slowly, but surely.

People are only like every other lifeform on the planet, Dear--- they do what they must to survive. If only our 21st century world offered them better opportunities, but like the whales in the ocean and the buckweeds in Nevada, we are all being dealt a pretty sour hand to play with these days. The Jetsons and Star Trek were only a fantasy after all.

That's good! Then these petstores ought to be least-favored by more people so that more shelter dogs especially have a better chance at finding a home.
The Jetson’s are fantasy? Noooooo!😲😫

Forum List

Back