Almost Finished Personalizing My V Star

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Removed the rear rack and passenger seat, added a fender bib, lower windscreens and my new Viking saddlebags. Waiting on my new windscreen replacement bag to arrive.

Before:

VStar 1.jpg

Now:

V Star New Bags1.jpg

V Star New Bags3.jpg

V Star New Bags2.jpg

I've been riding without any bags for a while so now getting on and off the bike with the new bags installed makes me look like a contortionist with a cramp.........

Last edited:
Nice bike. Remember, keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

And, please...................be tasteful with the chrome if you decide to go that way. I've seen quite a few nice bikes whose look was destroyed when their owners put gobs of chrome all over it. A little goes a long ways. And remember the old biker saying "chrome won't get you home".

Good choice on the highway pegs btw..............they can make a long ride a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Nice bike. Remember, keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

And, please...................be tasteful with the chrome if you decide to go that way. I've seen quite a few nice bikes whose look was destroyed when their owners put gobs of chrome all over it. A little goes a long ways. And remember the old biker saying "chrome won't get you home".

Good choice on the highway pegs btw..............they can make a long ride a hell of a lot more comfortable.
The highway pegs were on it already but I'm one of those short people who got no reason according to Randy Newman........ My feet can't reach those pegs......... :lol: As for the chrome I've actually removed the two trim pieces on the rear fender to mount the saddlebags. Like you said, chrome is nice but like everything else it should be done in moderation.

What's kinda funny is I've always wanted saddlebags but never bought any till now. While I'll most likely keep them on, they are practical, I think the bike looks so much better without them. Not to mention mounting and dismounting the bike is sooooooo much easier without them, I'm not 20 something anymore despite what my mind's eye tells me....... :cool-45:

The highway pegs were on it already but I'm one of those short people who got no reason according to Randy Newman........ My feet can't reach those pegs......... :lol: As for the chrome I've actually removed the two trim pieces on the rear fender to mount the saddlebags. Like you said, chrome is nice but like everything else it should be done in moderation.
Chrome don't get you home.

What's kinda funny is I've always wanted saddlebags but never bought any till now. While I'll most likely keep them on, they are practical, I think the bike looks so much better without them. Not to mention mounting and dismounting the bike is sooooooo much easier without them, I'm not 20 something anymore despite what my mind's eye tells me....... :cool-45:

There are several types of hardshell bags out on the market that you can paint to match your bike, and they will look better than what you currently have. Me? I'm a big believer in saddle bags, as you can only bungee so much to the back. And, if you go on overnight or longer trips, you will definitely appreciate the extra cargo space.

Another thing you might be able to do (not sure, because I'm not familiar with your model of bike) is to get shorter shocks for the back end, which will help you clear the bike when you get on and off. And, in most cases, shorter shocks won't greatly affect the ride, but it will help the bike look better, and as I said, help you clear the bags when you get on and off.

I had a 79 Goldwing. They didn't come with fairings and bags. Mine had a 3/4 Vetter fairing and actual Samsonite suitcases that locked into a frame for saddle bags and trunk. It was pretty cool. When you got where you were going, you unlocked them and picked up the suitcase and took it inside. I liked riding without them--made the bike more streamlined and much lighter.

There are several types of hardshell bags out on the market that you can paint to match your bike, and they will look better than what you currently have. Me? I'm a big believer in saddle bags, as you can only bungee so much to the back. And, if you go on overnight or longer trips, you will definitely appreciate the extra cargo space.

Another thing you might be able to do (not sure, because I'm not familiar with your model of bike) is to get shorter shocks for the back end, which will help you clear the bike when you get on and off. And, in most cases, shorter shocks won't greatly affect the ride, but it will help the bike look better, and as I said, help you clear the bags when you get on and off.
I would have preferred the hardshell bags but they are just waaaaaaay too expensive, at least for the quality ones. As for help getting on and off the bike I'm mulling over installing a fold up highway peg on the lower frame pipe behind the kickstand swivel. There is a little room between the folded up kickstand and the frame pipe so it may not be a problem. If it works it's a cheap and easy fix.

I would have preferred the hardshell bags but they are just waaaaaaay too expensive, at least for the quality ones. As for help getting on and off the bike I'm mulling over installing a fold up highway peg on the lower frame pipe behind the kickstand swivel. There is a little room between the folded up kickstand and the frame pipe so it may not be a problem. If it works it's a cheap and easy fix.

A cheaper solution that you might consider is getting some calvary style saddle bags (plain bags that are thin when empty, but the folds on the sides allow them to expand a little), with NO chrome, buttons or other doo dads. Just a plan bag with a flap and a buckle, nothing else. If someone has a pair you can borrow, throw 'em over the back and see how you like the look, I think you might like it better than what you currently have (and they're fairly cheap as well). Your solution with the peg sounds interesting, but I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it. If you do decide to do it, and it works, post a follow up video, I'm interested in seeing how and if it works.

I used to ride a Sportster, and didn't like the way it was way up in the air (yeah, throwing my leg over it was a pain, as I'm vertically challenged too). So, my solution was to get rid of the 13 inch shocks and replace them with 11 inch shocks. Didn't affect the ride quality, but it made it easier to get on and off, as well as gave it a more aggressive stance with the seat low, but the front end still high.

A cheaper solution that you might consider is getting some calvary style saddle bags (plain bags that are thin when empty, but the folds on the sides allow them to expand a little), with NO chrome, buttons or other doo dads. Just a plan bag with a flap and a buckle, nothing else. If someone has a pair you can borrow, throw 'em over the back and see how you like the look, I think you might like it better than what you currently have (and they're fairly cheap as well). Your solution with the peg sounds interesting, but I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it. If you do decide to do it, and it works, post a follow up video, I'm interested in seeing how and if it works.

I used to ride a Sportster, and didn't like the way it was way up in the air (yeah, throwing my leg over it was a pain, as I'm vertically challenged too). So, my solution was to get rid of the 13 inch shocks and replace them with 11 inch shocks. Didn't affect the ride quality, but it made it easier to get on and off, as well as gave it a more aggressive stance with the seat low, but the front end still high.
Nah, I'll get used to these besides if I wanted soft bags that didn't lock I'd have kept my old ones on it. They sagged enough so as not to be a problem. I also have a lowering kit on it that dropped it down about an inch and a half.

Forum List

Back