20% California EV Owners Going Back to Gasoline

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Physics are a bitch. Well, considering almost all California EV’s are powered by oil, no big change.

About 20% of all “planet saving EV owning visionaries” in California are defecting from their EVs back to gas-powered vehicles, according to a new report by Business Insider. The switch back to gas comes as a result of charging being a “hassle”, the report found.

The report cites a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal. They surveyed people in California who purchased EVs between 2012 and 2018. […]

“If you don’t have a Level 2, it’s almost impossible,” said Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan. It took him six hours to charge his Chevy Volt back to 300 miles of range using a Level 2 charger.

Physics are a bitch. Well, considering almost all California EV’s are powered by oil, no big change.

About 20% of all “planet saving EV owning visionaries” in California are defecting from their EVs back to gas-powered vehicles, according to a new report by Business Insider. The switch back to gas comes as a result of charging being a “hassle”, the report found.

The report cites a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal. They surveyed people in California who purchased EVs between 2012 and 2018. […]

“If you don’t have a Level 2, it’s almost impossible,” said Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan. It took him six hours to charge his Chevy Volt back to 300 miles of range using a Level 2 charger.

No, no, no. They need to outlaw has powered vehicles so you don't have a choice.

They are doing it all wrong.

Yes. Check our any parking garage, or parking spaces on the street, then calculate how long your extension cord will have to be in most cases ... Teslas come with a 24 footer and a 110 'adaptor'. but who is going to charge a parking lot full of electric cars for free, as well as provide cords and outlets for every parking space?

Well, considering almost all California EV’s are powered by oil, no big change.

Mostly by natural gas. Only about 3,000 MWHs in January by oil (17,000 MWHs by coal).
Out of 13,434,000 MWHs total.

6 hours for 300 miles
OMG
Meanwhile, those that push us to drive them all drive gas powered SUV's.
And ride in personal jets to AGW conferences.
And live in one of 7 mansions scattered all over the world...............
While each one uses more energy a month, than i do in a year.
I read that one plane ride is equivalent to driving an SUV for one whole year.

6 hours for 300 miles
OMG
I read that one plane ride is equivalent to driving an SUV for one whole year.
as have I

Mostly by natural gas. Only about 3,000 MWHs in January by oil (17,000 MWHs by coal).

Not sure where the data comes from, but I used to watch oil tankers supplying power plants. And 13 are listed here.

Not too long ago I went to Dallas, Tx. and stayed at a hotel located just off the Interstate.
In the corner of the hotel parking lot there was about a dozen Tesla charging stations.
I would see people setting in their cars reading a book while their Tesla's were charging.
That must be annoying if you're driving long distance, and turn a 10 hour trip into 15 or more hours, by having to charge up every 300 miles. Basically, forcing you to split the drive into 2 days and waste money spending the night in a hotel.
Add to that, you can't always drive the shortest route to your destination because of no charging stations along the way. ... :cool:

Last edited:
182590447_10158921928334475_8942434898807898538_n.jpg

At the present time, would you not say that people do not buy EV with which to take long trips? They are patently unsuited to it, though it's still possible. They are ideal for daily commutes and travel in the city. I don't see anyone marketing them for long distance travel. Do you? I think anyone who attempts to take one for a trip longer than its range KNOWS well in advance what will be required to do so and accepts the 'cost' of making such a trip. It is no more suitable for such a trip than is your bicycle, though its possible. If you choose to ride your bike from New York to Chicago, you can expect to get rained on and take quite a few days to make the trip.

6 hours for 300 miles
OMG
The depreciation costs per mile on those white elephants far exceeds the savings.

Not sure where the data comes from, but I used to watch oil tankers supplying power plants. And 13 are listed here.

Sounds like some old plants that they have to keep ready, in case the wind slows or a cloud crosses in front of the Sun. Oil is a lot more reliable than wind and solar.

Forum List

Back