For truckers driving EVs, there’s no going back

There are no subsidies

Some tax breaks such as the oil depletion allowance,

But billions are not given to the oil companies
How did you get so fucking stupid? Is it heavy drug use? Is it from being in a cult?

Explainer: Global fossil fuel subsidies on the rise despite calls for phase-out

UNITED STATES​

U.S. fossil fuel subsidies stretch across the U.S. tax code, which makes detailing their costs complex. The IMF estimates they stood at $760 billion in 2022, a figure topped only by China.

One U.S. tax break called intangible drilling costs allows producers to deduct a majority of their costs from drilling new oil wells. The Joint Committee on Taxation, a nonpartisan panel of Congress, has estimated that eliminating it could generate $13 billion over a decade.

Another, the percentage depletion tax break which allows independent producers to recover development costs of declining oil gas and coal reserves, could generate about $12.9 billion in revenue over 10 years, it has said.

President Joe Biden, a Democrat, has proposed axing fossil fuel subsidies in his annual budget, largely a political document used in negotiations with Congress.

But his efforts have gone nowhere amid only a thin Democratic majority in the Senate and as Republicans control the House of Representatives.

Fact Sheet | Fossil Fuel Subsidies: A Closer Look at Tax Breaks and Societal Costs (2019)

There is a long history of government intervention in energy markets. Numerous energy subsidies exist in the U.S. tax code to promote or subsidize the production of cheap and abundant fossil energy. Some of these subsidies have been around for a century, and while the United States has enjoyed unparalleled economic growth over the past 100 years—thanks in no small part to cheap energy—in many cases, the circumstances relevant at the time subsidies were implemented no longer exist. Today, the domestic fossil fuel industries (namely, coal, oil and natural gas) are mature and generally highly profitable. Additionally, numerous clean and renewable alternatives exist, which have become increasingly price-competitive with traditional fossil fuels.

The 116th Congress is weighing potential policy mechanisms to reduce the impact of climate change and cap global warming to an internationally agreed upon target of no more than 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). As a result, fossil fuel tax subsidies, as well as other mechanisms of support, have received additional scrutiny from lawmakers and the public regarding their current suitability, scale and effectiveness. Indeed, the subsidies undermine policy goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels.

A recent analysis published in Nature Energy found that continuing current fossil fuel subsidies would make it profitable to extract half of all domestic oil reserves. This could increase U.S. oil production by 17 billion barrels over the next few decades and emit an additional 6 billion tons of carbon dioxide.
The United States provides a number of tax subsidies to the fossil fuel industry as a means of encouraging domestic energy production. These include both direct subsidies to corporations, as well as other tax benefits to the fossil fuel industry. Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil. European Union subsidies are estimated to total 55 billion euros annually.

The more people are exposed to EVs the more they like them. As more talk radio junkie truck drivers start loving EV trucks, they will start to ask themselves "What else are these rightwing talkers lying to me about?".

Gary LaBush remembers the first time he sat behind the wheel of an electric Ford e-transit delivery truck at the Frito-Lay distribution center in Queens. Like most first-time EV truck drivers, LaBush wondered if the vehicle was actually on. “I was like, ‘What’s going on?’” he recalled. “There was no noise — and no fumes.”

Now, LaBush trains other drivers on how to operate a fleet of 40 delivery trucks at the Frito-Lay facility. The 49-year-old, who has worked at the company for over two decades, said he would struggle if he had to return to gas. “I wouldn’t want to do it,” he said. “After being in this — it’s just night and day.”

LaBush belongs to a small but growing group of commercial medium-to-heavy-duty truck drivers who use electric trucks. These drivers — many of whom operate local or regional routes that don’t require hundreds of miles on the road in a day — generally welcome the transition to electric, praising their new trucks’ handling, acceleration, smoothness and quiet operation.

But some companies and trucking associations worry this shift, spurred in part by a California law mandating a switch to electric or emissions-free trucks by 2042, is happening too fast. While electric trucks might work well in some cases, they argue, the upfront costs of the vehicles and their charging infrastructure are often too heavy a lift.

For the United States to meet its climate goals, virtually all trucks must be zero-emissions by 2050. While trucks are only 4 percent of the vehicles on the road, they make up almost a quarter of the country’s transportation emissions.

On most of America’s roads, electric trucks are an anomaly. According to an Environmental Defense Fund analysis of the nation’s 12.2 million truck fleet, there are almost 13,000 electric trucks — which can be defined as Class 2B to Class 8 vehicles, or anything from a step-up van to a large tractor-trailer — on the road today. Around 10,000 of those trucks were just put on the road in 2023, up from 2,000 the year before.
How many nuclear and coal fired power plants are we going to have to build to keep all those 18 wheelers all charge up?

Simpleholic thinks plugging a bunch of windmills into the grid will do the trick.
Yea, the idiots think solar will do it. Especially in the winter when the sun hardly shines. Not to mention the L-I batteries in the trucks not being worth a damn.

Under loads they won;t make 200 miles, they will have to stop sooner, and good luck putting stations every 200 miles anyway.
What I can foresee happening is that short haul truckers with EV trucks will pick up cargo at harbors and rail yards, then commute a hundred miles or so, then transship the trailers to ICE trucks for the long hauls.

But you're fine with the billions in subsidies every year for decades to the oil industry? Or are you just ignorant about that?
Yes, they received the subsidies out of the amount of tax collected off fossil fuels.

EV subsidies are coming from.....erm....let me see....

Or are you just ignorant about that?

EV subsidies are coming from.....erm....let me see....
1711058042315.png

~S~

When one survives three million miles and 25 years of over the road use and it's still pulling 47,000 up Fancy Gap and Monteagle... then you'll have my attention.

Until then, it's just another Century Class.

What's a Century Class you ask?

Well that's kinda the point.

I'd point one out, but they're almost as extinct as the Dodo while much older Classics, FLDs, 359s, 379s and W900 are still ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Bullshit.
Do you pay duty on fuel at the pump? Do you pay sales tax on fossil fuels? We pay fifty odd pence per litre in duty on petrol and diesel, then vat (sales tax) is added on top of that!! The tax man here taxes tax on fossil fuel.

So where's your evidence that fossil fuels are not taxed, or is it National Retard day today. Fucking clown.

The more people are exposed to EVs the more they like them. As more talk radio junkie truck drivers start loving EV trucks, they will start to ask themselves "What else are these rightwing talkers lying to me about?".

Gary LaBush remembers the first time he sat behind the wheel of an electric Ford e-transit delivery truck at the Frito-Lay distribution center in Queens. Like most first-time EV truck drivers, LaBush wondered if the vehicle was actually on. “I was like, ‘What’s going on?’” he recalled. “There was no noise — and no fumes.”

Now, LaBush trains other drivers on how to operate a fleet of 40 delivery trucks at the Frito-Lay facility. The 49-year-old, who has worked at the company for over two decades, said he would struggle if he had to return to gas. “I wouldn’t want to do it,” he said. “After being in this — it’s just night and day.”

LaBush belongs to a small but growing group of commercial medium-to-heavy-duty truck drivers who use electric trucks. These drivers — many of whom operate local or regional routes that don’t require hundreds of miles on the road in a day — generally welcome the transition to electric, praising their new trucks’ handling, acceleration, smoothness and quiet operation.

But some companies and trucking associations worry this shift, spurred in part by a California law mandating a switch to electric or emissions-free trucks by 2042, is happening too fast. While electric trucks might work well in some cases, they argue, the upfront costs of the vehicles and their charging infrastructure are often too heavy a lift.

For the United States to meet its climate goals, virtually all trucks must be zero-emissions by 2050. While trucks are only 4 percent of the vehicles on the road, they make up almost a quarter of the country’s transportation emissions.

On most of America’s roads, electric trucks are an anomaly. According to an Environmental Defense Fund analysis of the nation’s 12.2 million truck fleet, there are almost 13,000 electric trucks — which can be defined as Class 2B to Class 8 vehicles, or anything from a step-up van to a large tractor-trailer — on the road today. Around 10,000 of those trucks were just put on the road in 2023, up from 2,000 the year before.

I have a new YouTube challenge…..

I had less than 40 miles of gas left in my gas car…….

Pulled into a gas station, fueled, no extras…..no snacks, no car wash………pulled out of the station….

Total time…..

2:49

Over 340 miles in the tank

It isn’t a truck but you can do the same test…..

How long does it take to charge an electric car?

An electric truck?

Forum List

Back