20% California EV Owners Going Back to Gasoline

Ok, i'll ask the question, since no one else has. What does long charge times have to do with physics?

Not too long ago I went to Dallas, Tx. and stayed at a hotel located just off the Interstate.
In the corner of the hotel parking lot there was about a dozen Tesla charging stations.
I would see people setting in their cars reading a book while their Tesla's were charging.
That must be annoying if you're driving long distance, and turn a 10 hour trip into 15 or more hours, by having to charge up every 300 miles. Basically, forcing you to split the drive into 2 days and waste money spending the night in a hotel.
Add to that, you can't always drive the shortest route to your destination because of no charging stations along the way. ... :cool:

If you do a ten hour trip in a gas car you need to make pit stops anyway as well as one gas stop. If you're diving an ev you can top off your car at a level 3 charging station and do 50% in probably 15 minutes. That isn't a huge deal. It's routing your trip around those charging stations which makes it longer. However, i honestly don't see anyone making more than 4 pit stops during a 10 hour trip to top off your car. Technically you can probably get away with 3. This is all assuming you have a 300 mile range or better. It really depends how much you charge each time.

As for the article i'm surprised more of those early ev owners haven't gone back to gas. The ev market didn't start getting better till quite some time after 2017 when Tesla entered the market. Before that the ev market was complete trash. The fact that 80% of early ev owners still use their crappy evs shows you we have some committed ppl out there. With new advancements in charging times we'll see a complete shift very soon. A new start up is already coming out with new battery tech promising a full charge in 5 minutes. I know some of you would rather we stay in the stone ages while other countries pass us by, but you can't stop progress.

Ok, i'll ask the question, since no one else has. What does long charge times have to do with physics?

Not too long ago I went to Dallas, Tx. and stayed at a hotel located just off the Interstate.
In the corner of the hotel parking lot there was about a dozen Tesla charging stations.
I would see people setting in their cars reading a book while their Tesla's were charging.
That must be annoying if you're driving long distance, and turn a 10 hour trip into 15 or more hours, by having to charge up every 300 miles. Basically, forcing you to split the drive into 2 days and waste money spending the night in a hotel.
Add to that, you can't always drive the shortest route to your destination because of no charging stations along the way. ... :cool:

If you do a ten hour trip in a gas car you need to make pit stops anyway as well as one gas stop. If you're diving an ev you can top off your car at a level 3 charging station and do 50% in probably 15 minutes. That isn't a huge deal. It's routing your trip around those charging stations which makes it longer. However, i honestly don't see anyone making more than 4 pit stops during a 10 hour trip to top off your car. Technically you can probably get away with 3. This is all assuming you have a 300 mile range or better. It really depends how much you charge each time.

As for the article i'm surprised more of those early ev owners haven't gone back to gas. The ev market didn't start getting better till quite some time after 2017 when Tesla entered the market. Before that the ev market was complete trash. The fact that 80% of early ev owners still use their crappy evs shows you we have some committed ppl out there. With new advancements in charging times we'll see a complete shift very soon. A new start up is already coming out with new battery tech promising a full charge in 5 minutes. I know some of you would rather we stay in the stone ages while other countries pass us by, but you can't stop progress.

Progress doesn't need government mandates. If it is truly a superior product people will flock to it.

Physics are a bitch. Well, considering almost all California EV’s are powered by oil, no big change.

About 20% of all “planet saving EV owning visionaries” in California are defecting from their EVs back to gas-powered vehicles, according to a new report by Business Insider. The switch back to gas comes as a result of charging being a “hassle”, the report found.

The report cites a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal. They surveyed people in California who purchased EVs between 2012 and 2018. […]

“If you don’t have a Level 2, it’s almost impossible,” said Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan. It took him six hours to charge his Chevy Volt back to 300 miles of range using a Level 2 charger.

They're useless until you can go 600 miles on one charge with ac ,stereo ,and everything running and able to take a full charge in minutes .

I've been in a tesla the screens are ridiculous

What is most "funny" is those who think the future could be better by continuing the mistakes of the past.
Tastes come and go, trends change. The mere fact that the public somehow became addicted to oversized, over-consuming transportation doesn't mean that deeper thinking people will continue the error.
America has always developed new ideas and embraced the adventure of change.

Did you really ask that?
Like I said, education is horrible these days.

Did you really ask that?

Odd that you didn't respond to anything else he said. Not surprising, but odd.

At the present time, would you not say that people do not buy EV with which to take long trips? They are patently unsuited to it, though it's still possible. They are ideal for daily commutes and travel in the city. I don't see anyone marketing them for long distance travel. Do you? I think anyone who attempts to take one for a trip longer than its range KNOWS well in advance what will be required to do so and accepts the 'cost' of making such a trip. It is no more suitable for such a trip than is your bicycle, though its possible. If you choose to ride your bike from New York to Chicago, you can expect to get rained on and take quite a few days to make the trip.

Then why are governments trying to ban sales of ICE vehicles in the 2030's?

Because, unlike you and most posters here, they're smart enough to accept the conclusions of an overwhelming majority of scientists about AGW.

At the present time, would you not say that people do not buy EV with which to take long trips? They are patently unsuited to it, though it's still possible. They are ideal for daily commutes and travel in the city. I don't see anyone marketing them for long distance travel. Do you? I think anyone who attempts to take one for a trip longer than its range KNOWS well in advance what will be required to do so and accepts the 'cost' of making such a trip. It is no more suitable for such a trip than is your bicycle, though its possible. If you choose to ride your bike from New York to Chicago, you can expect to get rained on and take quite a few days to make the trip.

An idea so good it has to be mandatory.

The government bans lots of things when it discovers that risks to the general population outweigh benefits. Leaded gasoline. R-22 Freon, unchecked pollution of air and water. This is simply more of the same. And the auto makers are going there whether governments ban ICEs or not. Remember all the hullaballoo about bilingualism? Walk down your local grocery aisle. Commerce went bilingual because their bottom dollar showed them which way was right. The same is true of ICE vs EV.

Your question is a non-sequitur from my comment. Obviously governments will be forced to ban ICE powered vehicles (and fossil fuel power plants) to zero out CO2 emissions. So, what's your point?

Your question is a non-sequitur from my comment. Obviously governments will be forced to ban ICE powered vehicles (and fossil fuel power plants) to zero out CO2 emissions. So, what's your point?
Really? Forced?

Really? Forced?

What's the US Constitution compared to CO2?

Really? Forced?

What's the US Constitution compared to CO2?
It just goes to show you how close we are to communism.

If the government can "tax" you for not buying health insurance from a 3rd party provider, then they can "tax" you for not buying solar panels or an EV.

Progress doesn't need government mandates. If it is truly a superior product people will flock to it.

People and car companies need to be forced to accept new safety and health standards otherwise nothing will happen. You think every car company would have installed seat belts, air bags and crumple zones in their cars without safety mandates from the government? Now car companies are competing with each other to make their cars the safest ones on the market.

Did you really ask that?

Odd that you didn't respond to anything else he said. Not surprising, but odd.

It's because it was a dumb argument to begin with, and made even dumber when his only comment was, "physics are a bitch," which doesn't even make sense. Weatherman has the mindset of someone still arguing in favor of morse code over smartphones to communicate and then tries to make it political. No one is even disputing the lack of range of many evs, even today as Tesla is leading the pack with a battery that can give you 375 miles, this still lags behind the 400+ miles you'd get on even the smallest gas tanks, but will anyone be saying that a couple of years from now with new improvements in battery endurance and charging, much less in 15 years!? Not to mention the batteries are easily the most expensive part of the car, once technology improves the price of EVs will also drop dramatically. I predict we could have batteries that will allow you to go 2000 miles on a single charge by then and that may actually be a conservative estimate.

Forum List

Back