CDZ Why do you work ?

My ex-boss is cynical and said that the only reason the workers work is for money, not pride for a job well done or any other reason. why do you work besides the obvious of getting a paycheck to support you and/or your family ? Is money really the only reason to get up everyday and go to work ?
Americans are not so hard working persons, are we?
Explain to your boss the difference between a job, a vocation, a career, and a calling.....

If nothing else, it would be amusing to see the expressions change on his or her face.
I started out thinking it was just a vocation. Then I turned it into a career.
Lately, honestly, it feels more like a calling.
Too often I see why I am where I am
:cool:
What do you do?
Restaurant Management
LOL

My wife manages 6 Subway Restaurants. She does NOT consider it a career.
There's still some sort of calling or a draw to it.....to keep on doing it.

I call it a calling because it's talents that I was blesses with and use them to glorify Him

Explain to your boss the difference between a job, a vocation, a career, and a calling.....

If nothing else, it would be amusing to see the expressions change on his or her face.
What do you do?
Restaurant Management

that's a hard job. sounds fun thought! are you social? extrverted?
Me?

:lmao:

I have fun and so does my staff and my customers
:D

I've always wanted to be a waitress or a black jack dealer.
I love people in small doses :)

What do you do?
Restaurant Management
LOL

I call it a calling because it's talents that I was blesses with and use them to glorify Him
Well, for her, the draw is the great paycheck....lol.....

She only has an Associates Degree and no one pays that kind of money for an AA degree....and she has no desire to earn a BS/BA degree...so it works for her...She does get tired of the kiddies though.

What do you do?
Restaurant Management

Me?

What do you do?
Restaurant Management
LOL

She only has an Associates Degree and no one pays that kind of money for an AA degree....and she has no desire to earn a BS/BA degree...so it works for her...She does get tired of the kiddies though.
I empathize with the "small doses" and "kiddies".

But it seems no bad I get beat up one day I still look forward to tomorrow to do more and better

What do you do?
Restaurant Management

Me?

What do you do?
Restaurant Management
LOL

I empathize with the "small doses" and "kiddies".

But it seems no bad I get beat up one day I still look forward to tomorrow to do more and better
Good on you mate....In the end, perseverance has its uses....

My ex-boss is cynical and said that the only reason the workers work is for money, not pride for a job well done or any other reason. why do you work besides the obvious of getting a paycheck to support you and/or your family ? Is money really the only reason to get up everyday and go to work ?

Why do I work?

To pay the bills and support my life.

Now when I am at work do I do the best that I can do, and put myself in the shoes of the owner and ask myself what type of work they expect from me?

Of course and if I am unable to perform at the standard I am require I would step aside to let someone else do the job.

So do I take pride in my work?

Of course but in the end the fact is I work for the money and the better I do my craft the more I will make, and I can hang my hat on the quality of my work...

the better I do my craft the more I will make,

that has not been true for me. the better I do my job, the more I get taken advantage of.
I guess it depends on what you do but have found the more work you do the more you get used.

What do you do?
Restaurant Management
LOL

Having known a Subway regional manager...they make GREAT money. I'm not sure he had ANY degree (in fact, I'm not sure he finished high school).

If I work for free it's on
my place, you want me to work on your place we better have an agreement of compensation..Even if it's a sack of taters...

that has not been true for me. the better I do my job, the more I get taken advantage of.
I guess it depends on what you do but have found the more work you do the more you get used.
Well yes, the difference is when you say something about it..hell I could never get prostitutes to work for free...

I run a company that was started by my father in 1947 so I take a lot of pride in what I do. I also involve myself in my industry by serving on various boards and committees.

I should also mention that I spend as much time volunteering in the community as I do at my job. Commissions, Chamber of Commerce, tourism bureaus, economic development, etc.

I run a company that was started by my father in 1947 so I take a lot of pride in what I do. I also involve myself in my industry by serving on various boards and committees.

I should also mention that I spend as much time volunteering in the community as I do at my job. Commissions, Chamber of Commerce, tourism bureaus, economic development, etc.
Just so you can get your picture in the paper.....My old man is like you...But I am not of that nature..I used to be, but the weight of the world crushed my spirit...

Well yes, the difference is when you say something about it..hell I could never get prostitutes to work for free...

Yeah, I've tried that... I guess I'm just not as good as I think I am....

Just so you can get your picture in the paper.....My old man is like you...But I am not of that nature..I used to be, but the weight of the world crushed my spirit...
Never thought of it that way. And yes, I have had my picture in the paper a fair number of times LOL.

Other than that, you're totally off the mark. :slap:

Forum List

Back