Zone1 Is there really a job shortage? Or are employers the problem?

/---/ I stopped reading after #4. Completely useless. Slackers are just going to tell you what you want to hear. Seriously.
I read a recent article recently. One guy of his company doesn't hire or have any slackers. How does he do it? Well, he just gives you a general chit chat interview, past the kitchen and makes sure you both get a coffee/tea, back to the office to talk about the job. Then after the interview, he hired the folk that took their coffee cup back to the kitchen.

He wants staff that doesn't have slacker behaviour. As a manager, when I interviewed, I rejected those that didn't have a pen and piece of paper with them. If you filled an application form in there and then in reception, straight in the bin.

Employees are picking where they want to work. They have options. When employers have to compete big for a worker, that's a great thing.

I read a recent article recently. One guy of his company doesn't hire or have any slackers. How does he do it? Well, he just gives you a general chit chat interview, past the kitchen and makes sure you both get a coffee/tea, back to the office to talk about the job. Then after the interview, he hired the folk that took their coffee cup back to the kitchen.

He wants staff that doesn't have slacker behaviour. As a manager, when I interviewed, I rejected those that didn't have a pen and piece of paper with them. If you filled an application form in there and then in reception, straight in the bin.
/-----/ Those are telling signs. But, I once worked for a sales manager who wouldn't hire a rep who wore a red tie to the interview. He was convinced that it was a sign that the applicant was a liar. "Truthful people wear blue ties." Seriously. I'm glad I wore a blue tie to the interview, just by happenstance.

/-----/ Those are telling signs. But, I once worked for a sales manager who wouldn't hire a rep who wore a red tie to the interview. He was convinced that it was a sign that the applicant was a liar. "Truthful people wear blue ties." Seriously. I'm glad I wore a blue tie to the interview, just by happenstance.

Employees are picking where they want to work. They have options. When employers have to compete big for a worker, that's a great thing.
All your posts in this thread are totally at odds with my past 15 years in a large UK national company as a manager hiring and firing folk.

Maybe employment in the UK is totally different to the US.

Forum List

Back