Zone1 Is there really a job shortage? Or are employers the problem?

Resnic

Diamond Member
May 2, 2021

Personality quizzes to be a dishwasher at olive garden or work at walmart? Why?

The quizzes tell you there is no wrong answer, but obviously there is a wrong answer. Why else would you have this long pointless personality quiz if there is no wrong answer?

Seems getting hired for menial jobs is being more and more complicated and taking longer. And then you throw in dumbshit things like diversity and equity makes things even harder because you might find the right candidate but they are white and diversity demands they not be white so you have to keep searching.

I remember many years ago I had a 50 question personality test that questions like "would you stay over to finish an important job" and a bunch of really odd confusing ones. But the job was just above menial work. But at my current job where I have heaps of responsibility and make 3.5x the amount of money all they did was interview me once and all I had to do was demonstrate I had actual knowledge and show I wasn't a flake.

So I can't help but wonder if there is really a job shortage or if employers are setting up too many roadblocks, being too picky and letting stuff like diversity get in the way.

I mean there is definitely a percent of the work force not working because they have been trained to think they need skilled labor wages for non skilled labor positions, that they only want to work from home, expect to have like unlimited mental health days and so on that have basically made them lazy and believe they deserve everything for nothing.

According to the theory of capitalism, there's a supply and demand flow.

When the demand is high, prices/costs should raise.

The demand for workers is high, but the employers don't seem to want to pay more.

Now tell me OP, who's fault is this?

The quizzes tell you there is no wrong answer, but obviously there is a wrong answer. Why else would you have this long pointless personality quiz if there is no wrong answer?

Seems getting hired for menial jobs is being more and more complicated and taking longer. And then you throw in dumbshit things like diversity and equity makes things even harder because you might find the right candidate but they are white and diversity demands they not be white so you have to keep searching.

I remember many years ago I had a 50 question personality test that questions like "would you stay over to finish an important job" and a bunch of really odd confusing ones. But the job was just above menial work. But at my current job where I have heaps of responsibility and make 3.5x the amount of money all they did was interview me once and all I had to do was demonstrate I had actual knowledge and show I wasn't a flake.

So I can't help but wonder if there is really a job shortage or if employers are setting up too many roadblocks, being too picky and letting stuff like diversity get in the way.

I mean there is definitely a percent of the work force not working because they have been trained to think they need skilled labor wages for non skilled labor positions, that they only want to work from home, expect to have like unlimited mental health days and so on that have basically made them lazy and believe they deserve everything for nothing.
Maybe, you have a resume' by now. Mostly young people applying for the menial jobs. Questionnaires, possibly scored and evaluated by computer, might make it simpler to narrow the choice, without time consumption of actual managerial time, avoiding assholes automatically, that might be a problem. Welcome to the 21st century.

I guess I could see a quiz trying to determine if a person is going to be a threat to co-workers or customers, but beyond that I agree. The hiring process like most things in America are infected with "Wokeness".

I guess I could see a quiz trying to determine if a person is going to be a threat to co-workers or customers, but beyond that I agree. The hiring process like most things in America are infected with "Wokeness".

What confuses me is questions like "would you take the first slice of pizza" or whatever it was. Someone would just pick the answer they thought would make them look the best. People lie or distort things or withhold their true thoughts at interviews anyway, a weird ass personality quiz wouldn't be any different.

I guess companies get talked into using stuff like this by salesman and they think it will make things easier and save them time and money but in the end it doesn't. If you talk to someone face to face you can see what kind of person they are better than just reading some spreadsheet from some multiple choice questions online.

Some snake oil salesman struck gold with olive garden and Walmart when he sold them this program.

ITS about corporate greed,
part time jobs allow them to reduce the benefits companies have to give employees.
And allow lower wages. & that's just the start of the problem.

You have competence/knowledge and behaviours. So it's easy to learn product knowledge and how to use things, but it's hard to change behaviours. So the whole point of personality testing is to try and employ the person with the correct behaviours for that particular job.

There never was a labor shortage. That's been debunked as an msm lie. Employers have never had a bigger pool of incredibly hard working people to hire. If they can't fill a position that's all on the employer.

According to the theory of capitalism, there's a supply and demand flow.

When the demand is high, prices/costs should raise.

The demand for workers is high, but the employers don't seem to want to pay more.

Now tell me OP, whose fault is this?
They don’t have to all they have to do is look at all the cheap labor crossing the boarder each day! Low skilled “legal”workers are being squeezed by illegal immigrates who want to work which flips the supply demand curve upside down. All they need is patience because they know the Dimbos will turn illegal immigrants into legal labor force participants.

They don’t have to all they have to do is look at all the cheap labor crossing the boarder each day! Low skilled “legal”workers are being squeezed by illegal immigrates who want to work which flips the supply demand curve upside down. All they need is patience because they know the Dimbos will turn illegal immigrants into legal labor force participants.
It's not just low skilled labor. We import cheap high skilled labor from Asia too. Companies' profits increase while the bottom 90%'s standards of living decline.

Are you alright or do you live in a bubble of some sorts ? We have three things in serious play today.

1. The new generation has been trained or brainwashed to be WOKE. This is a huge problem when it comes to low skilled wage jobs, and to high skilled wage jobs in some cases.

2. Employers having to take measures to protect themselves from WOKE employee's being backed by WOKE lawyer's working for WOKE politician's who will destroy anything and everything over the WOKE agenda if need be.

3. Over regulation - Used as a means to stop wokeism from entering the workforce, otherwise before it can get inside to reek havock on anything and everything that moves.

Companies are tired of being told that they must use their platforms to conduct social experiments for a captured federal government run by Democrat's, and at a huge cost to their bottom lines and to the security of their companies... Worse, and then having no recourse against the authorities that convinced them to go down those paths that were promised by idiot's that it would all be alright.

It has been a lose lose situation for way to long now.

The melting pot has been sabotaged by wokeism, and it is failing fast.

1709466257019.png

~S~

It's never been easier to find good workers. Any company that sees it differently have only to look in the mirror for the full reason why.

/----/ Even for menial jobs, it costs money to hire employees. The popular fad these days is to ghost your employer. You're hired, but never show up, or disappear without notice because another business offered you 50 cents more an hour, leaving the employer swinging in the wind.
I was in corporate America for 35 years, and I've seen big changes in employee/employer relationships. There is no longer loyalty on either side these days, at least not like it was way back when.
Perhaps these long interviews are designed to weed out the lazy workers who only look for the path of least resistance.

/----/ Even for menial jobs, it costs money to hire employees. The popular fad these days is to ghost your employer. You're hired, but never show up, or disappear without notice because another business offered you 50 cents more an hour, leaving the employer swinging in the wind.
I was in corporate America for 35 years, and I've seen big changes in employee/employer relationships. There is no longer loyalty on either side these days, at least not like it was way back when.
Perhaps these long interviews are designed to weed out the lazy workers who only look for the path of least resistance.
To me 3 days notice that one is quitting is more than enough. Why should one work 2 weeks longer for less when they could be earning more during those 2 weeks. Job hopping is now the trend and it's not really a bad thing. When one person quits its easy to find another.

To me 3 days notice that one is quitting is more than enough. Why should one work 2 weeks longer for less when they could be earning more during those 2 weeks. Job hopping is now the trend and it's not really a bad thing. When one person quits its easy to find another.
/----/ Back in my day 1972 to early 2000s, if you quit without notice you were only paid for the days you worked up to that point, If you gave two weeks, you were paid the two weeks, plus paid time off, and were most likely sent home that day.
I worked most for Fortune 100 companies, so your experiences might be different.

Forum List

Back